Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Russky/Russki - Use it or Not?
    I am thinking of using the word "russky" or "russki" in one of my domain names, as I thought it sounds more "authentic" than just "Russian". However, while searching the Internet for the meaning of the word in English, I bumped into the following definition by the American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: russky - NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. Rus·skies Offensive A Russian

Not being a native-speaker of English, I cannot tell what it sounds like to a "native ear". Hence, I would highly appreciate comments of those of you who speak English as their mother-tongue.

The question is basically this: Would you (or would you not) use the word "russky" or "russki" in a domain name if an easier-to-remember "russian" is already taken (e.g.: RussianVodka.com - taken, while RusskyVodka.com or RusskiVodka.com are not yet occupied)? Please give your arguments to pros and/or cons, and what - in your opinion - reads best ("russky" or "russki").

Many thanks in advance!

Yours,

Dasha
    Last edited by Dasha; May 5th, 2005 at 04:46 AM.

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    That was the common term used by us for Russians all through the cold war. It certainly doesn't make me think of anything positive.... If you are directing at Americans, it will probably have a similar effect. Even recently I have heard the term used towards certain individuals (we have a high population of Russian Jews where I live) in a non-favorable way. I think some people can take it lightlly, but it really depends on a) what you want people to do/buy on this site, and b) who you are marketing too, and c) what effect you really want to have on visitors.

I don't know...personally I wouldn't use it. If only 18% of your vistors find it offensive or bothersome, that's still 18% that might have bought something...

Just my opinion!
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

Dunno. Guess, I wouldn't cotton too well to a site that called me a Mick or an Injun.

What's a derogatory term for a person of English extraction? I am one of those mutt types.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Hi Dasha,

I'm half Russian on my mother's side of the family. I don't have any negative associations with the word Russki but then no one's ever used it in a derogatory way in my presence. However, I don't think it's a word that all Americans would be familiar with.

Overall I think using the word Russki would be a mistake. Some people would think it's derogatory and others wouldn't know what it means. People like me who know what it means and don't have a bad association with it are probably in the minority.

>>>What's a derogatory term for a person of English extraction? I am one of those mutt types.

only one I know right off is "WASP": White Anglo-Saxon Protestant, but that also has religious connotations. unless you're a denizen of a 'hood, in which whitey works. Don't you remember? (just kidding -- I drove through your old neighborhood this morning.)

Naw, I remember. It is "Limey", I think.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

It's nothing but derrogatory. BTW, RussianWhatever sounds more "authentic" than RusskiWhatever ... which actually sounds like a POS version of whatever. I think you'd be better off using a russian version of Russki - (ie. how does one say Russian in Russian) or making up an americanized version of a russian word but there the problem is the diff alphabet .. подарок means nothing to most.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Just put your avatar on each page, nobody will notice what the name of the site is. :-)
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

This is a tough one. As an American, when I see it written it looks like the slang term for a Russian used during the cold war, i.e. not so good. As someone with a couple years of college Russian under his belt, it looks like you have a clue about Russian and are using it.

The problem is sort of one of pronunciation. "Russ-key" is slang. "Ruse-key" is Russian for Russian.

Now, there is an alternative that suggests itself. Russian is a gendered language in which the adjective's form has to match the gender of the noun it modifies. Now, Vodka is feminine, so it would not be Russki, but Russkaya. So, you could go with RusskayaVodka.com. Except it is taken by the iVodka people. Never mind.

I think I end up with the people who say nyet to using Russk[iy]. Unless they know their Russian, it looks kind of cheap. Sorry.

-John.

Gah! Just noticed your name (Dasha) and that you are not a native English speaker. I suspect I am giving a half-assed lesson in Russian to a real Russian speaker! My apologies!
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Quote Originally Posted by infospongellc
    Just put your avatar on each page, nobody will notice what the name of the site is. :-)
    EXCUSE ME?!.... (kindly clarify the statement)

Dasha

lstolze, SSanf, Haiko, everyone else... Thank you for your constructive feedback! I highly appreciate it and am looking forward to more!!!

By the way: is .net much worse (for the domain name extension) - in your opinion - than .com (psychologically, etc)? Say, if RussianVodka.COM is taken, would you take RussianVodka.NET or just look for a whole different associative match?

Yours,

Dasha

biz36
    Hey Dasha

I think you shoudl try these names.

buhat'vodka.com
    Davaj_otorvemsyavodka.com
    zhrat'Vodka.com
    naveselevodka.com

biz36
    Oh I forgot

pit'_zapoem.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dasha

EXCUSE ME?!.... (kindly clarify the statement)
    Just meant your avatar was cute...no offense was intended.

- Tim
    Tim

biz36
    On a constructive note...maybe you should try and think of something that people associate with Russia something catchy and clever.

I'd say RusskaVodka sounds better than RusskyVodka - in both english and russian.

When I served in the Marines, we used "Russki" as a slang term, but not in a derogatory sense. I do seem to recall that when we started doing limited fleet exchanges in mid-to-late '80's, they would refer to us as Americanski - no offense taken.

Any term is likely to offend someone.

btw...being a WASP is not a derogatory term either - originally coined by E Digby Baltzell, a social demographer.

As for "limey" that phrase originated from the British Navy's habit of incorporating lime juice into the sailors diet in the mid-1800's (I believe) to ward off scurvy.

Sorry for the "lesson" I love etymology!
    Best,

David Rogers
    Sr. Manager, E-Commerce
    New Line Cinema
    212 649-4900
    NewLineShop.com
    WBShop.com
    TheOCInsiderShop.com

Quote Originally Posted by biz36
    Hey Dasha

I think you shoudl try these names.

buhat'vodka.com
    Davaj_otorvemsyavodka.com
    zhrat'Vodka.com
    naveselevodka.com
    Very funny... I must disappoint you, but "vodka" is used only as a sample word here. The website is not going to be about vodka at all.

Are you Russian, biz36? Where from?

Dasha

biz36
    Actually my roots are eeehhhemm Polish(that might open the door to some jokes later on), but I have a few close friends that are Russian, and drinking is one of our hobbies. Hence all the terms from above.

Quote Originally Posted by David_NLC
    When I served in the Marines, we used "Russki" as a slang term, but not in a derogatory sense. I do seem to recall that when we started doing limited fleet exchanges in mid-to-late '80's, they would refer to us as Americanski - no offense taken...
    Oh, man... I just LOVE these stories... Glad this thread turned into something interesting for everyone (not just for me). As for the Marines and stuff, may be I should then put up a site with Russian militaria, calling is RusskiMilitaria.com, huh?

I THINK......
    someones pulling your chain...
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    I THINK......
    someones pulling your chain...
    Yeah, but it beats babbling about Linkshare consolidated payments.
    Tim

LOL
    yeah ,, good point..
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasha
    By the way: is .net much worse (for the domain name extension) - in your opinion - than .com (psychologically, etc)? Say, if RussianVodka.COM is taken, would you take RussianVodka.NET or just look for a whole different associative match?
    Whichever you use, if you have a section featuring potato-based vodka you'll grab an often overlooked but very passionate segment of the market.

Once you try potato vodka anything made with grain just doesn't taste as smooth. I've found the cheapest potato vodkas have a cleaner flavor and less bite than grain vodkas costing four times as much.

Many who've tried potato vodka will pass on anything else.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

I think the spelling is as much a problem as the connotation. Words like podarok cited above transliterate will enough, but technical translate has a j on the end of that word; russkij. And that just assumes nominative case. {sigh} It's really just not worth mucking with.
    [LEFT]Scott :tartanber [URL=http://www.scotthamilton.net]My Vanity Page[/URL][/LEFT]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast