Experian is at it again
    As I mentioned durring my last Radio show Experian Interactive, who is growing by leaps and bounds, has now also bought lowermybills, a few weeks ago they bought Affiliate Fuel.

Data giant Experian demonstrated its commitment to online marketing in a dramatic way Wednesday. It bundled its online businesses into an interactive division while simultaneously announcing the $380 million purchase of lead generation player and major online advertiser LowerMyBills.com.
    Full Article
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Just noticed this in AdBumb, LOL!
    Affiliate Marketing Manager: Affiliate Marketing Manager to drive the bottom-line success of the LowerMyBill's Affiliate Program. Responsibilities include forecasting and delivering on volume, cost and revenue targets. 3-5 years experience building an Affiliate program through active recruitment, effective account management and development and implementation of targeted promotions. Strong analytical and business development skills required. Experience with online direct response marketing preferred. Send resume to jfeldman[at]lowermybills.com
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Experian is spending 100's of millions - close to a billion dollars I think - to buy these companies just as Spitzer's ax is falling. The Experian shareholders are going to be pissed - like someone who bought Enron stock the week before their news broke...

Consumers hate what adware does - and they don't even know the details of all it does besides pop ads. But somehow, the big wigs at Experian sit around a big table and decide to get deep into the adware business and own a huge chunk. And the punks who started the bought-out companies walk away with truckloads of cash. What happened to making products people use and want? Apparently, Experian's going to be taught this lesson... again. The amount of shareholder money they've just wasted is astounding.

Consumer's think adware is a pernicious disease - why doesn't Experian just buy Cancer, AIDS and the Flesh-Eating Plague and wrap that into their portfolio.

Hope their Director & Officers Insurance is huge - later, the shareholders are surely going to sue these idiot executives for disregarding their fidiciary responsibility to perform their due diligence in safeguarding the capital of their owners. Buying into Adware now... guess they don't read much... or talk to anyone who owns a computer...

"Experian is a subsidiary of GUS plc, a UK-based holding company that includes retail, property investment, finance and information services businesses."

The Experian execs do not want to piss off rich Brits holding company.
    They'll pull an Ann Boleyn on ya.
    http://ecs.lewisham.gov.uk/youthspac...g/guiloani.gif
    Last edited by Donuts; May 5th, 2005 at 10:49 AM.

"Acquisition positions Experian as major channel for consumer-direct transactions over the Internet - combined company will now be 15th-largest Internet company in U.S."

smells a lot like pre-news Enron...

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I get checks from them every month - and I don't even know where the token link to them is on my sites. But wherever it is, people seem to click it

"Experian maintains credit information on approximately 215 million U.S. consumers and more than 15 million U.S. businesses."

And now they're installed on your computer to watch what you do and what you buy and to watch those credit cards in action.

"Experian maintains demographic information on approximately 215 million consumers in 110 million living units across the United States."

How many consumers are there? How much more demographic information do they need? What will they do with the extra info they'll be gathering through spyware and adware?

"Experian provides address information for more than 20 billion promotional mail pieces to more than 100 million households every year."

So now you know their intentions... fill up my physical mailbox with crap, fill up my computer with crap, track everything I buy and everywhere I shop, keep stats on my bank accounts and plastic and mortgages and loans and those that I might get turned down for as well. Track my kids college loans and target them for credit cards, junk mail and internet popup ads.

George Orwell thought Government was going to be Big Brother in 1984. He got the year wrong - and it's Experian, not the gov't, who wants to watch our every behavior and thought. Orwell was British - like Experian's holding company. How ironic is that?

Little math exercise here...

"Experian provides address information for more than 20 billion promotional mail pieces to more than 100 million households every year."

20 billion pieces / 100 million houses = 200 pieces / house.

Assuming I am one of those 100 million households (I am and so are you), they are responsible for putting my address on 200 individual pieces of promotional mail that comes to my house each year.

Wonder how many popups they have planned for my house...

I wonder if I could get them to pay for a portion of my bandwidth they plan to use.

And since they're now discussing / announcing higher postage stamp costs again, I also wonder why the US Gov't doesn't create a tiered rate system - say $0.38 for a regular piece of mail and $216.95 for a promotional piece of mail.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Talking
    Wow do I love getting "marriage mail" daily to put in the bottom of Charlies cage. Experian's resident proctologist is busy inserting Adwhore enima tubes up the consumers butts on a Opt-Out basis draining merchant Ad budgets for billions. If it's a sleazy underhanded gorrilla marketing plan they will throw money at it and fudge the stats to impressed the brain dead blinded by an advertising mindset.

I should launch superglueFliers.com as a combo online/off-line Adwhore site. Power the online version with a 180Solutions ebiz type clone. Then employ the homeless shelter folks (automatic free liberal press coverage) to SuperGlue store special fliers to windshield of shoppers cars in Mall parking lots. That should be worth a few hundred million to the Experian wanks if I can get Jeff Molander to lobby them with fudged stats.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

If GUS is short for Great Universal Stores then I can imagine them being in cahoots with all the bad stuff on the web.
    I used to do work for them back in the UK many years ago and I found out they would stop at nothing to buy-out any small merchants that they dealt with in their catalogs (at a bloody low price mind you).
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The saga of "Adwhores Gone Wild" continues to heat up on all media and legal fronts...

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...1258_tc024.htm

"Spitzer's Internet Bureau, told BusinessWeek that his office is "definitely looking across the industry at other spyware distributors." Dreifach said Intermix was targeted because it was the most egregious purveyor of spyware. He declined to name other companies under the microscope, but spyware experts say the top offenders could include Claria, 180solutions, Direct Revenue, and CoolWebSearch. "Intermix is not unusual," says Ben Edelman, a spyware watchdog who has testified in court as an expert.

BIGGER FISH. Intermix said it "ceased distribution of the applications at issue" in early April, and that it "does not promote or condone spyware." Direct Revenue and 180solutions both say they aren't spyware companies, pointing out that they seek permission from consumers to use their software, and that it's easy to remove. 180solutions President Daniel Todd says the company requires partners to enforce its code of conduct, and that it has reviewed the practices of about 60% of its 7,000 partners and is stepping up its policing efforts. Claria CEO Jeff McFadden says all of its "practices have been designed within the core principles of notice, consent, and consumer control." BusinessWeek could not find a contact for CoolWebSearch.

What's more, ad networks such as Yahoo and the scores of companies that advertise with such networks should realize that they may be on the hook, says Dreifach. According to Jupiter Research, 12% of companies that advertise online use some form of adware marketing. More alarming, spyware accounts for more than $2 billion, or almost 25%, of the online advertising market, according to a report released on May 3 by antispyware outfit Webroot Software. "To the extent that they're driving [spyware] and ratifying it, they may face issues of their own liability," says Dreifach. "Is such a case conceivable? Absolutely."

Spyware or adware programs have become one of the Internet's biggest problems. An estimated 9 out of 10 computers are infected with some form of spyware. Typically, when a user installs a legitimate program, such as a screensaver, they unwittingly install one or more spyware programs as well. Spyware operators either don't alert the user to the new programs or bury their existence within lengthy, legalistic license agreements.

DANGER SIGNS. These programs monitor user activity, sometimes secretly, and often hijack Web browsers to certain Web sites or launch torrents of unwanted pop-up ads. The programs are also often difficult, if not impossible, to uninstall. Congress is considering several antispyware bills. What's more, three states, including California, have already passed such legislation, and 27 more states are considering such laws.

Although it's too early to gauge the ultimate effectiveness of Spitzer's campaign, the Intermix investigation and lawsuit are triggering ripples of fear throughout the world of Internet advertising, and prompting some companies to stop using spyware. Recently, AOL stopped doing business with Intermix, BusinessWeek has learned. "Several months ago, America Online Inc. implemented a policy not to do business with companies running spyware or adware networks that damage our members' online experience," says AOL spokesperson Andrew Weinstein.

Yahoo is scrambling to get ahead of the issue. In its most recent filing with the Securities & Exchange Commission covering the first nine months of fiscal year 2005, Intermix said it received about $5 million, or 10%, of its sales from Yahoo ad subsidiary Overture. Yahoo says it still does business with Intermix. However, the portal is quietly hatching a new ad-partner program designed to clarify its policies, according to sources familiar with the plan. Still, it's unclear as to how that will treat these spyware vendors.

GOOGLE'S ADVANTAGE. Don Tellock, a former assistant attorney general who worked in Spitzer's Internet bureau from 2001 until May, 2004, says the lawsuit is designed to strike fear in the industry. Spitzer doesn't have the resources to go after every single spyware supporter, but Tellock says he's likely to shift the investigation to the advertising networks. And though the AG may not sue advertisers, Tellock says Spitzer has leverage over them because his office can sue companies for past illegal behavior....."

When the Adwhore pimps get dragged into court and before the US Congressional Anti-Spyware committee, and various State AG's court cases, they'd best come clean on the real BHO theft figures and income.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Little math exercise here...

And since they're now discussing / announcing higher postage stamp costs again, I also wonder why the US Gov't doesn't create a tiered rate system - say $0.38 for a regular piece of mail and $216.95 for a promotional piece of mail.

Let's see now,

20,000,000,000 x $216.95 = $4,339,000,000,000

or enough to help pay off some of the National Debt that the DebtWhores in Washington are passing on to future generations.

Best,
    RadarCat, WebMaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread