Newbie Question
    Newbie as indicated

Just getting started with CJ and having some moderate success with my own landing pages. I wanted to try some ppc with one particular affiliate to send traffic directly to the affilate's landing page (as opposed to mine) to compare conversion rates.

Question:

What part or the code do I use for the url in my PPC ads? CJ provides urls from "Get HTML". In most cases, this contains a (scrambled) url & a tracking pixel. Do I just use the first (scrambled) url? Or is there a way to unscramble it? It doesn't look good in ads but most importantly - I want it to track properly.

TIA

Eric

Most merchants do not allow you to send traffic from a PPC ad to the merchants landing pages... AS FAR AS I KNOW.......
    You must create your own landing pages..

Someone PLEASE Correct me if I am wrong...
    I don't use PPC ads.. but I remember reading something about them on CJ..I think?

AddHandler: Well... Very few of the merchants I work with require landing pages. It was widely expected that merchants would be scrambling to stop direct to merchant Google AdWords ads after the one domain for search change was implimented... but in my experience it didn't really happen that way.

CBE: I'm not sure I quite understand your questions. Are you a merchant yourself?

Thanks for the replies!

Not a merchant (not on CJ anyway) - just a publisher

I guess I wasn't clear originally. The links from cj look like http://www.***********/click-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx.... alphabet soup. Most smaller ppc engines don't allow a display url like google & will only show the stem of the url - which isn't (IMO) as likely to generate as many clicks as an authoritative domain name.

Having monkeyed around with it on & off for several hours I don't think the tracking pixel is needed - just screws up the impression stats if omitted.

I guess I was looking to find out if there was a way to 'divine' the unscrambled url so that the landing (merchant's) domain shows and still have sales/lead tracking work properly.

There exists the distinct possibility that I am making this more complicated than it needs to be...

Eric

Ah, I see what you mean now. I don't know of any way of divining the URL you'd need to feed the merchant, and I expect you'd need to travel through CJ's servers (via qksrv or one of the new ugly domains) first in order to validate the click for tracking purposes.

I suppose what I'd do would be to make the URL a link to a page/script on my own domain, which simply redirected the user to the merchant's landing page. However, I know for a fact that Google AdWords don't allow redirects like that - you'd have to check with the other PPCs you use. You could also try one of the URL shortening services there are out there - tinyurl, etc. although the URL would still look a little icky.

Hope this helps!
    Chris

Thanks Chris.

I think it would have to go through CJ's servers too. I blew a few bucks yesterday on PPC pointing at the final (resolved) address, which still had a referral id once resolved - but the hits weren't counted on CJ. Failed experiment.

I (sorta) solved the problem last night by going direct with that particular merchant. Pays about 12% more per conversion so I am changing out my links on my landing pages for google. It will be interesting to see if the conversion rate from my own landing page changes versus my average with the CJ links. While there are still a ton of CJ links to other merchants on the site, it feels good to diversify a bit...eggs & baskets.

Regards,

Eric

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread