Can anybody tell me why this does not work.
    I went to a friends to remove Nortons antivirus and replace it with Microsoft AntiSpyware and whilst I was there she told me the MSN search does not work so I went to check it.

If she gets the MSN search in the sidebar she can do a search but none of the results will click through and come into the main page area. The URL's show in the bottom bar and the pointer changes to show it is a link but when I clicked on any of them it did nothing. I just came home and checked my computer and everything works fine on mine.

Does anybody have any idea why it won't work on her computer? Apparently she says it worked fine until she did the last Norton upgrade then it all went to pot.

I did remove Norton antivirus but the search still does not work has anybody else experienced this and did they solve it please?
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Can't help on the search thing, but Norton AntiVirus and MS AntiSpyware are protecting from different perspectives and threats. i.e. MS AS isn't looking for the garden variety of virii at all, just as (so far, but I think they're in beta) Norton isn't looking for Spyware. I have both running simultaneously.

Sounds like a hosts file thingy?

Norton shouldn't interfere with MSN search, and even in NIS with parentel control, you'd get an error page telling you that it was a blocked category, not an unclickable page.

And as ShoreMark mentioned, I don't think MS AntiSpyware is protecting that computer from virii, trojans, nor providing a firewall.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by webmarm
    And as ShoreMark mentioned, I don't think MS AntiSpyware is protecting that computer from virii, trojans, nor providing a firewall.

The above is true. You will have to still run a program such as Norton along with the MS AntiSpyware program or you will loose the computer to virus, trojans, etc.

You will also need a fire wall such as Norton.

Norton and MS are looking for different things in your computer.

The above posts are all right. Microsoft Antispyware should not be used as a replacement for Norton Antivirus. It has no protection from virues, worms, downloader trojans and many others. Also worth noting, when it comes to spyware I usually use a combination of 3 programs and they almost always catch something that the other ones didn't.

1. Microsoft Antispyware
    2. Lavasoft Ad-Aware
    3. HijackThis

In case you don't know, HijackThis is GREAT for removing startup programs, BHO's, and can restore defaults for your home and search pages. Best of all, its FREE. You kind of have to know what you are looking for to use it, but in the right hands it is a valuable tool. You can get it here

I just downloaded this free anti virus program it seems quite good to me but I'm not well up in this stuff could anybody give me an opinion on it please?

Avast anti virus
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

If you're looking for a free anti-virus, I recommend AVG from Grisoft.

Also, are there any ad-blocker type programs/software installed on the machine? They may be blocking the links. Ie; set your google toolbar to block popups and click on a link that opens a new page, it shows up like a link, looks like a link, displays in the status bar, but nothing happens.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread