Thumbs up Microsoft vs. Google
    Here's a great article that discusses Microsoft's concerns about Google. Google has proven to be their most difficult competitor to beat. Billy boy is getting a little concerned that Google has become too much of a threat, especially with Google's desktop search tool.

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/techn...0065-1,00.html

Enjoy!
    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs up IBM, FireFox and Google versus Micro$oft ???

Hi, Snib,

It looks like Google is developing into a software company with all types of software modules that would fit into an operating system, and perhaps secretly developing into an operating systems company from the types of people they are advertising for and hiring.

I've said for years that IBM is the only computer company in the world that can put Microsoft out of business if they truly wanted to. Now it looks like Google may be able to do it too, if they are ready for the fight of their life.

Can you imagine what would happen if IBM got some really strong warrior type top executives instead of the fat old ladies they have now and teamed up with Google and FireFox to take on Microsoft?

Royal Rumble In The Software Jungle???

Best,
    RadarCat, WebMaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

The thing that makes Google unique is their software isn't necessarily distributed. Microsoft is still king of distributed software, but the way things are headed this type of software is less in demand. I think Google has an advantage because it's got a strong understanding of server based software. Microsoft is still very client based and doesn't understand internet innovation as well as Google. I'm really curious to see what happens to client based software as more companies like Google begin to design these applications.

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    The Cathedral Versus The Bazaar.

I think accessing computer applications on a Internet server are pie-in-the-sky dreams. It is basically impractical. How could one download an operating system if your operating system is zapped and motionless? I myself would never go to using applications available only through someone elses Internet server.

Microsoft has it right. Sell them CDs in a package of some sort.

I think if Google does try to come out with an operating system, they should use the method of putting all the files for an application into ONE directory like Windows. The Linux method of putting an application's files into several strangely-named directories is not going to be popular with the average consumer. With the Windows method, if you want to remove or update your application, no problem, all files are in the same directory. However, with Linux, you or your package manager must hunt around your hard disk and hope that you have found them all.

It is better for the average Joe who is not a tech-head to purchase operating systems software from the Cathedral rather than the Bazaar.

Best,
    RadarCat, WebMaster

>>>Can you imagine what would happen if IBM got some really strong warrior type top executives instead of the fat old ladies they have now and teamed up with Google and FireFox to take on Microsoft?

Yes, but on the other hand can you imagine IBM deciding to outsource everything and manufacture nothing themselves? Just slap a label on an import just like GE and SCM and quite a few others?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    >>>Can you imagine what would happen if IBM got some really strong warrior type top executives instead of the fat old ladies they have now and teamed up with Google and FireFox to take on Microsoft?

Yes, but on the other hand can you imagine IBM deciding to outsource everything and manufacture nothing themselves? Just slap a label on an import just like GE and SCM and quite a few others?
    Yes, I can. That is the IBM of 2005 and quite likely to be the IBM of 2010 and beyond.

However, IBM does have a long history of reinventing itself on a large scale. That is how they have survived and prospered so many years.

Best,
    RadarCat, WebMaster

With Google Search Results Tanking, And The privacy concerns involved with their ToolBar, Desktop search and Webaccelarator. I doubt they are much of a threat.

Microsoft has competition developing in many sectors, including a space that I use everyday. Go check out www.salesforce.com. They are going quite a ways towards eliminating the need for much of Mr. Gate's high price tools.

Can they beat Microsoft? Maybe not, but they could be able get prices more in line (if you think it's too much now... some don't feel that way...).

going by the ever-increasing value of Google stock and the consistent (~40%) increase in the search-advertising market each year AND the predictions for it's continued growth till about 2010.... I think they will be a serious threat and in less than 2 years I think there will be a direct rivalry on Microsofts own turf.

Right now they're battling it out on Google's turf; search.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogi
    I think they will be a serious threat and in less than 2 years I think there will be a direct rivalry on Microsofts own turf.

Right now they're battling it out on Google's turf; search.

That is a very bold and very interesting prediction, Rogi.

I think you could be right!

Google also has plenty of boldness with all the "twenty-somethings" that they hire.

Best,
    RadarCat, WebMaster

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarCat
    I think if Google does try to come out with an operating system, they should use the method of putting all the files for an application into ONE directory like Windows.....With the Windows method, if you want to remove or update your application, no problem, all files are in the same directory.
    Sorry, that's simply not true.

Try taking an application from one Windows PC and moving it on to another. You will soon find that Windows applications are NOT self contained.

Quote Originally Posted by RadarCat
    I think accessing computer applications on a Internet server are pie-in-the-sky dreams. It is basically impractical. How could one download an operating system if your operating system is zapped and motionless? I myself would never go to using applications available only through someone elses Internet server.
    I remember when MS promised to serve Office applications online with Windows XP, but it never happened. I don't think this idea is really going to fly because of the nature of these applications. What I'm saying is features from these applications are becoming available online. For example, instead of using a publishing application, people are becoming much more inclined to publish directly online via blogs (Google's Blogger). The way we use our computers is changing and Google is fueling these innovations. I'm not saying there won't be a place for MS Office in a couple years from now, but who knows what the future might bring. Imagine an online version of Excel that works just as well and allows for worldwide sharing and data propagation. If anybody's going to do it, it just as well be Google.

- Scott

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Great article and well researched showing Microsoft's need to breakup their internal executive turf wars. They have to learn the secret of how to do more with less. Less bulk in their OS and related programs, and more enduser friendly Internet/technology related features.

Gates was smart in buying www.giantcompany.com to jump into the Anti-Spyware and spam marketplace rather then duplicate those efforts with resulting time restraints. How he missed out on buying Pizzaz, as the perfect user friendly photo editing S/W, in a digital camera age, was poor judgment since it would be a great MSN freebee download draw and branding tool. MS Publisher sure is no compliment to MS Frontpage and Gates missed the boat on buying PaintShop Pro, along with www.jasc.com years ago and interfacing it into their windows apps. Not fueling the growth of blogging was another tunnel vision oversight.

Nice to see Microsoft's boardroom start to consider the enduser's preception into their decision making and budgets. Maybe Gates is starting to evaluate my old tagline.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread