Internet Cowboy
    Ask Jeeves facing scrutiny from investors
    Full article

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Investors are showing increased skepticism about InterActiveCorp's pending acquisition of AskJeeves, on news that the Internet search firm may be among the targets of an inquiry by New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer.
    The worm is starting to turn. Keep up the heat!!!!!!!!!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Love it.

ABW Ambassador

Google is looking clean.

Best,
    RadarCat, WebMaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

Very Cool
    The videos were very clear who was talking out their Butt thats for sure. You have to join marketwatch to see the videos but well worth it.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

RadarCat: Google supplies sponsored links to AJ. If AJ's traffic is "dirty," then the corresponding clicks on Google ads are dirty too. Google is one step further removed from the wrongful installations of AJ toolbars. But the Google-AJ partnership is substantial -- AJ even gets an icon on https://adwords.google.com/select/main ! So I don't think it's as simple as Google being "clean."

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Infestation plots to hijack consumer systems by the greed driven Adwhores doesn not pass the smell test of outraged victims ...regardless of the amount of pig perfume applied.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Smile Hi, Harvard Guy !!
    Quote Originally Posted by bedelman
    RadarCat: Google supplies sponsored links to AJ. If AJ's traffic is "dirty," then the corresponding clicks on Google ads are dirty too. Google is one step further removed from the wrongful installations of AJ toolbars. But the Google-AJ partnership is substantial -- AJ even gets an icon on https://adwords.google.com/select/main ! So I don't think it's as simple as Google being "clean."
    Hi, Bedelman,

I don't think that it as simplistic as guilt by association, either.

I used to be an IBM affiliate and posted IBM banners on my web site. Sooner or late some IBM employee somewhere gets in trouble with a foreign government for bribes, kickbacks or some other business practice that is considered "traditional" in that country. I don't consider myself "dirty" because I had IBM banners posted on my web site. Do you consider IBM to be "dirty"?

Is the grocery store that sells food to Ask Jeeves employees or Mafioso types "dirty", too?

Maybe it will boil down to "What did Google know, if anything, and when did they know it, if ever"? If even that.

Best,
    RadarCat, WebMaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

yes, there are limits
    Right. Clearly we don't blame Dell if (say) 180solutions merely uses Dell PCs to design its software. The Dell PCs are just a staple article of commerce, used by lots of folks for lots of purposes. Dell has no right or ability to control how their PCs are used, once they're sold.

Google's AJ relationship is a little different, though. It's huge, for one thing -- featured on G's site. And Google does have an ongoing ability to control, e.g. by terminating the contract.

That's not to say it's clear-cut that G is responsible if AJ has a problem. But Spitzer's comments indicate an interest in holding advertisers and advertising intermediaries accountable for the ways they spend their money, and the firms they help support. Taking that at face value, G could have a problem here. "Could" -- not "definitely does."

You may also be interested in http://blog.ericgoldman.org/archives..._askjeeves.htm , some thoughts from a law professor who has thought about this issue at some length. I don't always agree with him, but he's well worth reading.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread