Lightbulb 60th Anniversary of the Victory Day
    Dear fellow-ABWeb-ers!

Even though today is only 7 May, Iíve decided to start this thread today. 9th of MAY is coming Ė the BIG day Ė the day when 60 YEARS AGO we crushed the Fascist Machine, putting an end to the World War II. Letís bow in honor of those fighting for the liberty and peace against the forces of EvilÖ Letís bow and remember... Glory to them, and may those few of them (who fought this war) who are still with us, be with us for many more years!

HAPPY COMING 60TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE VICTORY DAY!!!!

Dasha

Thumbs up
    Dear Dasha,

I'm so glad to find such a thread at this forum. Couldn't even imagine that someone might create a topic about the GREATEST VICTORY in the history. Glory to the Warrior the Victor! Honour to our grandparents who went through the horrors of war.

Let us all celebrate this anniversary in advance!

HURRAH!!!

Id just like to say that my grandfather was actually at Normandy Beach on that great day. He was a paratrooper and was only 17 years old (he lied about his age). I cant even imagine the things that must have been rushing through his head as he was dropping in from the sky.

Edit: I guess its worth noting that he actually lived through the battle.
    Last edited by NoFeeForMe; May 7th, 2005 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Ooops

Glory to the Warrior the Victor! Honour to our grandparents who went through the horrors of war.
    I'd also like to add lets not forget the vanquished. They were just the same as our young men/women, young, brave and in most cases completely innocent of all the crimes that went on in their respective armies.

They certainly are worthy of your respect and prayers and should certainly be memorialised as our young people are..
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Internet Cowboy
    My Dad was a veteran of WWII. He was not at Normandy, but he was shot down in a B-17 and held prisoner by the Germans for the last 18 months of the war. We lost him a few years back to cancer.
    He had stories of his life as a German POW that are absolutely beyond belief!! He didn't talk much about those times. He told me once several of the stories but never really talked about them otherwise.
    We do owe a LOT of gratitude to, as Tom Brokaw calls it, The Greatest Generation. Any living WWII vet is now a minimum of 80 years old. If you know one, please thank him/her for me too.

ABW Ambassador
    Let us pray that the human race never sees another horrible war like World War 2.

Let us also not forget that America essentially fought two wars, one in Europe, and one in the Pacific, during World War 2.

Concerning America and Japan:

The Allies had delivered Japan an ultimatum to surrender on July 28, 1945.

When this was ignored, the US dropped two atomic bombs on Hiroshima on August 6 and Nagasaki on August 9, the day Soviet forces invaded Manchuria.

The Allies celebrated victory over Japan on August 15, 1945, although the Japanese administration under General Koiso Kuniaki did not officially surrender with a signed document until September 2, 1945.

Both dates are known as VJ Day.

Concerning The Allied Victory In Europe:

By the beginning of 1944 air warfare had turned overwhelmingly in favor of the Allied forces, who wrought unprecedented destruction on many German cities and on transport and industries throughout German-held Europe. This air offensive prepared the way for the landing (June 6, 1944) of the Allies in northern France, the Normandy campaign, and a secondary landing (August 15, 1944) in southern France. After heavy fighting in Normandy, Allied armored divisions raced to the Rhine, clearing most of France and Belgium of German forces by October, 1944. The use of V-1 and V-2 rockets by the Germans proved as futile an effort as their counteroffensive in Belgium under General von Rundstedt .

On the Eastern Front Soviet armies swept (1944) through the Baltic States, Eastern Poland, Belorussia, and Ukraine and forced the capitulation of Romania (August 23), Finland (September 4), and Bulgaria (September 10). Having evacuated the Balkan Peninsula, the Germans resisted in Hungary until February, 1945. The Russians entered East Prussia and Czechoslovakia (January, 1945) and took eastern Germany to the Oder River.

On March 7 the Western Allies, whose chief commanders in the field were Omar Bradley (US) and Montgomery (UK), crossed the Rhine after having smashed through the strongly fortified Siegfried Line and overran west Germany. German collapse came after the meeting (April 25, 1945) of the Western and Russian armies at Torgau in Saxony, and after Hitler's death amid the ruins of Berlin, which was falling to the Russians under marshals Zhukov and Konev. The unconditional surrender of Germany was signed at Reims on May 7, 1945 and ratified at Berlin on May 8, 1945.

Best,
    RadarCat, WebMaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

May the humankind NEVER see anything like this again!

There really is no family in Russia that hasn't been touched by this war. Everyone fought. Everyone lost someone... GLORY TO THEM who brought us peace! ...and may those who never returned from this war rest in peace, always remembered and praised.

ABW Ambassador

Concerning Russia:

"The colossal scale of the fighting between Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union in what Russians call the Great Patriotic War was well recognized by Americans and Britons at the time but has been virtually forgotten since. But it dwarfed every other battlefront of the war combined. Eight out of 10 German soldiers killed in World War II died fighting the Red Army. The colossal total of nearly 27 million Soviet military and civilian dead was more than twice the death toll of all Americans, Britons, Commonwealth, French and even Germans killed in the war combined."

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1392370/posts

Best,
    RadarCat, WebMaster
    http://os2warplinks.com

MY GRANDAD.........
    Bombed berlin,,, and they threw him in prison for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....

mind you !!!!!!!
    it was only last week....LOL. LOL. LOL.
    TAXI FOR NEIL..
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Exclamation
    Praise for the sacrifices of all those fighting the trio of crewl dictators who were more then willing to sacrifice 50 million people before freedom loving warriors brought them to judgement. We still haven't learned the lessons of allowing dictatorships to abuse their absolute power over the common people. In today's world all existing dictatorships still practice governance using Hilter's planning guides. Look for news announcements of government and religious sponsored murdering of innocents and you'll find the legacy of evil still is thriving.

We turn a blind eye to the Pal Pot "killing fields" as the aftermath and of the liberal Anti-War movement resulting in 6 million innocents slaughtered inside 7 months. Where were the bleeding heart liberals and UN whimps when the Ruwanda genocide occured under Clinton and Annan's watch. Is Annan willing to learn his Ruwandia lesson and do something in Sudan or will that fall upon GWB led Americans to whack the genocide bent Mussies there.

Sad on VE day there exists millions upon millions of peoples worldwide, who'd approve of re-opening the German Concentration camps and herd Americans and Israelis in there for showers.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Now, this was a GOOD thread! Sorry I've missed it... I join you, all, in your praises! My Granddad fought. I've heard a lot from him on this terrible war. PRAISES!!!

Remember the heroism, the courage and the sacrificed lives of our WWII soldiers.
    Long Live Democracy!!!!

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread