New Domain or not?
    Will the search engines give an existing, somewhat indexed website new consideration if I improve content?

Or is this old page doomed to what it is, and I should set up the new version at a brand new url and start over with the search engines?

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by Freebird
    Will the search engines give an existing, somewhat indexed website new consideration if I improve content?

Or is this old page doomed to what it is, and I should set up the new version at a brand new url and start over with the search engines?
    Your website is always up for improvement ( unless it has been black listed by google, which probably isn't the case if you domain shows up in their results ). Be sure to update your content periodically, you will get indexed more frequently and look better in the search engines eyes.

Don't bother with a new domain, especially with google sandboxing techniques, the last new website I put up took at least 4 months to gain a pagerank from google (not to say you cant get traffic from the other search engines).

Anyway, keep your content updated and maybe get some more backlinks to your website if you want to improve your ranking (keep the linking to relative websites).

- Jason

Thanks for taking the time to answer, Jason. And your answer is the one I was hoping for.

Search engine policies are decided by humans, so just consider what a group of people would decide the rule should be. Domain names change hands all the time, and so it wouldn't be fair to penalize someone who buys a domain and changes the content.

If you're going to do the work anyway, may as well cough up the measly 9 bucks to buy a new domain to allay concerns about whether the original one is going to be a problem or not.

Unless the first one is already performing.

RE: Sandboxing - there is not one iota of evidence that sandboxing automatically occurs with new domains. If the conspiracy theorists spent half their energy promoting their sites instead of blaming Google for their ineptitude, they'd hardly be impacted by it even if it did happen.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread