"Must place code on site exactly as it appears" REALLY?
    When building links I often see "Must place code exactly..." - Sometimes I really want or need a code that they don't offer- can I tweak the wording... as long as I don't mess with the URL?
    Sometimes I want to make my own product link code (Wal-Mart) and I can easily see how the link is constructed - can I make my own or am I risking losing credit for a sale?

15 years and counting
    As long as you know what you doing, you can tweak the code. To replace the wording by your own is no problem. The networks will take no responsability for the changes, but I've done it for years with no problem.

Zeus is right...make sure you know what you are doing when tweaking code or your sales won't track. I've been tweaking code and text to my liking for a few years now and no one has complained. Good luck!
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

The only things I tweak are prose between anchor tags, or adding target or style attributes to anchor tags. These seem to be pretty safe.
    [LEFT]Scott :tartanber [URL=http://www.scotthamilton.net]My Vanity Page[/URL][/LEFT]

a merchant could object if your link text is far from their idea of what it should be.

If you want to play it safe, contact the merchant and request that either they add the link you would prefer, or get permission to alter a current one.

I've been tweaking the verbiage and coding for years and nobody has complained. Quite the contrary, I hear from merchants about how much they like what I've done.

Like others have said, just be careful that you know what you're doing when you start messing with the code.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    I've been tweaking the verbiage and coding for years and nobody has complained. Quite the contrary, I hear from merchants about how much they like what I've done.

Like others have said, just be careful that you know what you're doing when you start messing with the code.
    that certainly makes sense.

I think they're just covering themselves in case you ever lie about the product. It's one of those laws that only exist for bad guys. If you don't harm the merchant, the rule won't be used.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread