Target removed me from their program
    Today I received an email saying that I have been temporarily removed from Target affiliate program. This was a big surprise for me as Target was one of my best performers. I contacted linkshare and they said since I am only promoting eletronics items and Target wants to shift their marketing effort to other categories, they don't want me anymore in the program. This didn't make sense to me at all!

Did anyone receive a similar email today?

How rude! I didn't receive such an email, but then I don't promote electronic items. So, maybe they like the items I'm promoting. However, it's still too rude. They could at least have taken the time to write and ask you to promote items in other areas instead of just kicking you out of the program.

On the other hand, you can promote most Target items through Amazon. That'll show 'em. If you promote directly through Target, you only earn a 5% commission. If you promote the items through Amazon, you can earn varying amounts depending on the number of sales you make in a quarter PLUS a 2.5% bonus of direct links that sell. And, unless they have a special deal with Amazon, it probably costs Target 15% per sale instead of the 5% their paying you.

The thing is you can't offer the 10% off coupon to your visitors for Target products at Amazon.com? Plus some rebates don't appear there.

Yes, but if you have pages getting traffic, and now you have to remove your links to Target, what are you going to do?

meanwhile, if they used the word "temporary," there is also the possibility you will have them on your LS list of merchants again in the future. happens.

Someone just contacted me from Target. They said since I am only promoting high ticket electronics products (LCD TVs) and offering 10% coupon to my visitors, they are losing money from my sales. Maybe they are right ... So I told them that I can settle for a lower commission rate. Let's see what happens.

mattdunbar wrote
    Someone just contacted me from Target. They said since I am only promoting high ticket electronics products (LCD TVs) and offering 10% coupon to my visitors, they are losing money from my sales.
    This is not acceptable. Target should have discussed with you before removing you from the program and not the other way around. I find that some merchants do not deal with their affiliates with respect.

Absolutely! If their own 10% coupon is costing them money, then they need to rethink their pricing and program. Kicking you out for promoting what they offer shows a total lack of respect for you as their affiliate. It's as if they are blaming you for their own mistakes. You didn't set the pricing. They did.

Some programs offer a lower commission for some items. You shouldn't be put in the position to offer to take a lower rate. They should set their pricing and commissions appropriately across the board for all affiliates. Targeting you alone is just plain wrong!

You can bet that they don't get to lower Amazon's cut (which is in the neighborhood of 15%) just because they don't make a profit on the sale of big ticket items.

This is practically unbelievable! They basically issue you the affiliate coupon of 10% ...with the hidden condition (not even in fine print) that they will kick you out if you ever use the coupon successfully.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Looks like someone higher up at Target then the Affiliate Manager, took a look at the affiliate sales figures. They read the traditional and online media OUTINGs of affiliate tricksters using the "incent" model to hijack sales commissions at the point of purchase. A quick look and whalla ....80 % of affiliate credited sales had a coupon/rebate or loyality club commission spiff deducting from profit per sale figures.

Wow! A little data mining, via an analytics package, shows the incent interlopers touch every affiliate path to Target's site, especially destroying the cookies from affiliates who actually filter & focus shoppers from Target showcase creatives on their own pages. The very ones that would show profitable referral sales if their referral clicks weren't interfered with by the BHO's and "incenters" playing on cart abandonment to perform coupon searches.

Well the BHOs, and their coupon/reward/rebate buddies, have so pressured this industry to ignor their "tricks for cookie setting clicks" via SERP- Browser & e-mail spamming that the real merchant management begins to get the picture. Rewarding the majority of commissions at the expense of their value-add affiliates, who perform motivation exercises to their established brand and products, assures the practice to double dip them gets traction. Target gets reminded they don't want to go down the trail blazed by the incent Adwhores destroying the big 3 automaker's industry. They see auto sales profits turn into huge losses after deducting the billions spent on incentive marketing.

This wasn't a move taken by the hired gun Target AM firm, who takes no responsibility for Target making money on affiliate referred sales. Target management dictated a weeding out of any steady source that produces un-profitable sales as part of their ebiz plan. Watch Target get off some very expensive BHO hijackers lists too.

Now Merchant stupidity would be booting out an affiliate producing $750,000 in legit profitable sales, without any incents tacked on, for questioning the merchant's sales reporting and condoning corporate and affiliate cookie washing practices. I have no pitty for Target getting reemed by the "incenters" as they, like Walmart, originally use affiliates to drive foot traffic to their stores. BOO -HOO for them to never devise and push creatives to high conversion product landing pages bypassing the white noise of the incenters. They deserve the AM company they keep, and I hope they get a BHO black eye in the minds of their branded shoppers.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Yes, I know it is a total lack of respect towards me ... I hope they'll correct their mistake. Thanks for all the comments.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread