Does Anyone Here Use DirectlyHome?
    I have sent them 100's of hits in the last few months, but I have NEVER gotten a sale. Does anywhere make money with them?
    I clicked of a few of their links and the destination pages were blank.
    Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    I don't send them too much traffic but had a couple of $200+ commissions show up in the last few weeks.

Thanks!!
    I was going to drop them today, but I guess I'll wait until the end of the month to see what happens.
    Nature

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Sorry...but this shouldn't be placed publically...I thought about it and decided to edit.
    Last edited by lstolze; May 10th, 2005 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Decided to PM info....
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

I currently manage (if you can call it that) the DirectlyHome.com program. So I am glad you posted that, because I am actually wondering what I need to do to improve things. Let me give you an example:

3 Month EPC: $7.44
    7 Day EPC: $25.06
    [2/5] Green Blocks

If I look through CJ.com's list, our nearest competitor is HomeVisions, they look like this:

3 Month EPC: $5.88
    7 Day EPC: $12.00
    [4/5] Green Blocks

I guess, what I keep wondering is what metric is used to attract active affiliates. Any advice is great, don't worry about hurting my feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Nature
    I clicked of a few of their links and the destination pages were blank.
    I am not aware of any dead links, could you please PM me details? Or post if you would prefer Hey, I will throw you one of our deluxe limited edition long sleeve t-shirts if you do!

Large ticket items like beds are slow movers, and I've never gotten great EPC's on them with any merchant. If the pages are low maintenance, then it's a nice chunk of commission every now and then.

Shipping fees are a real drag on larger items, and even when the total ticket ends up lower, shoppers like to see lower shipping rates. I ran a page that actually showed the calculation that DH was less expensive even with shipping on the same bed that was sold at HV. I sold more of that bed through HV with a consolation link than my big bold, it's less expensive pitch for DH. Go figure.

Yep, that's one I've been trying to figure out for a long time. You have to wonder about some people.

I've seen similar things happen on my site. At Merchant A the price is the lowest and they offer free shipping. What does the visitor do? Buys from Merchant B on the same page, who is charging $15 more plus shipping. Unfortunately for me, Merchant A pays twice the commission as Merchant B.

Give somebody a choice, and they just might choose to pay the more expensive price for the same item.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    Give somebody a choice, and they just might choose to pay the more expensive price for the same item.
    Doesn't it make sense to throw up both then? I mean you are right, DirectlyHome is generally cheaper and pays an 11% commission, HomeVisions more and a 10% commission. According to CJ we pay more commission per click then HomeVisions, but regardless, better to catch all shoppers so you get the commission regardless of where they buy, right?

Quote Originally Posted by webmarm
    I sold more of that bed through HV with a consolation link than my big bold, it's less expensive pitch for DH. Go figure.
    I am not sure how long ago this was, we have made a lot of effort to refine and clarify the site, as evidenced by a June 2004 3 Month EPC in the +/- $1.50 area and current 3 month EPC at $7.44!

Not to sell "vaporware" but we are also moving to a new platform in a few months with improved speed, additional payment options (Paypal, echeck, finance) and more. I am positive the conversion rate will go up for there, but regardless, anyone who is currently happy with HV should not be disappointed with us... if you are I can send you a free t-shirt, I mean if commission won't then that has to do the trick...

NotTakenID

p.s. http://affiliate.directlyhome.com has a html generator that uses our datafeed and seems to get most affiliates great results.

I never give a choice. I check with all my merchants for products I want to feature and only show the product from my highest paying merchant. If consumers want to comparison shop, they'll go to a resource like shopping.com. If they find my sites, it's because they were looking for an item to buy - period. Personally if I featured furniture, I would go with HV, only because they do offer more choices of links, banners, etc. While DH's commish is slightly higher, I think you could make the program more attractive with just some more choices of links and promotions. That's just my quick two cents take after looking at both programs and both sites. As an affiliate, I look for a merchant with a clean, nice site, which both your DH and HV have in my opinion. If it's obnoxious, I don't care if they offer 25% commish and free beer, I won't work with them. And they have to have a great selection of promotions and links. I am not big on logo banners, no matter what size. I want banners that aren't bland, gawdy, or overdone. I do love banners that show product and a special promo, and fit neatly onto the page. If you have that, I will be a faithful affiliate!

But seriously, comparing both, I think the only thing I would change to help improve DH as a desirable merchant may be the promos and banners. I think it's great you offer product links, but maybe there are still a lot of affiliates that prefer a good promo/banner?

free beer and t-shirts. can't go wrong!

Okay, I'm not in either of these programs. But, I just visited both sites. What stood out to me immediately is the fact that Directly Home posts a Toll-Free number big and bold at the top of each page. Where at HomeVisions, I had to go to the Customer Service page to see the Toll-Free contact number.

If people are calling the Toll-Free number and ordering directly, wouldn't that account for some of the difference in conversions? Or does Directly Home give affiliates credit for telephone sales?

Good catch Tracy! Good for customer service, but bad for affiliates...

Quote Originally Posted by lstolze
    But seriously, comparing both, I think the only thing I would change to help improve DH as a desirable merchant may be the promos and banners.
    I can definitely do that, can you suggest some sizes and even specifics if you have a desired category or whatever. Anyone (asuming you would use them)?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    If people are calling the Toll-Free number and ordering directly, wouldn't that account for some of the difference in conversions? Or does Directly Home give affiliates credit for telephone sales?
    I guess there are two things to say here.

1. given our EPC we are probably converting better the HV, the 800# is at the top to inspire confidence in making a big purchase, believe me, it is so much easier for us if they buy direct. Please note that our EPC AND online conversion rate have gone up since adding the number.

2. Is there a way to track offline affiliates? I have done this for another site, www.buying-bar-stools.com (note the REF code at the bottom by the phone number, tells us which ShareASale affiliate sent the traffic). Is there a way to do this with CJ? - as it stands now our reps are trained to ask how the customer got to us upon completion of a sale, but in all honesty that is far from perfect.

BackCountry does it with their cj tracking. It depends more on your phone sales staff than the tracking system....

BackCountry does it with their cj tracking. It depends more on your phone sales staff than the tracking system....
    I believe they use the code that is displayed at the bottom of the page. I am investigating how to put this up for DirectlyHome. We have no desire to keep commissions from affiliates, we just want to offer our customers service.

I believe they use the code that is displayed at the bottom of the page.
    Yes, and Mondera has the same type of thing. And I will repeat, it depends on your phone staff more than anything else. If the phone staff overlook asking for the reference number, it will not track because it was never given. If the phone staff is trained to be meticulous about asking for the reference number, then it gives affiliates the confidence to send traffic while giving customers the confidence that there is someone on the other end of the order system.

Yes, and Mondera has the same type of thing. And I will repeat, it depends on your phone staff more than anything else. If the phone staff overlook asking for the reference number, it will not track because it was never given. If the phone staff is trained to be meticulous about asking for the reference number, then it gives affiliates the confidence to send traffic while giving customers the confidence that there is someone on the other end of the order system.
    But if the reps are paid on commission.... you can expect that they either aren't asking or aren't making sure the affiliate ends up with the sale. We are faceless "salespeople" for our merchants, so the reps have a much smaller hurdle to jump since we'd never know if they were diverting commissions. We'd like to think all people act with integrity, but that's not the word that comes to mind when thinking about salespeople.

I will repeat, it depends on your phone staff more than anything else.
    I am sorry if I was not clear when I said "as it stands now our reps are trained to ask how the customer got to us upon completion of a sale, but in all honesty that is far from perfect.".

What I meant was, our reps ask at the end of EVERY sale, however, the customer doesn't always tell them their exact path.

Our CSR's are not salespeople, they make no more selling an order that we make $10 on then one which we make $10,000 on. I will tell you that at the time of their review, they are judged on performance in their job, "bonus points" are given for going above and beyond - not for ripping off our affiliates.

I will work on the tracking code and have been playing telephone tag with websidestory (they do backcountry's tracking - as well as ours).

We promote them, got $63.61 commission from one sale today.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread