Is It Wise to Copy My Pages
    I was going to make duplicates of my webpages, but I thought it may not be the best thing to do. Is it allowed?
    Thanks
    Nature

Nature I copy my pages all the time so I can keep the site looking uniform. With that said you need to add unique content and meta tags to each individual page. I design pages with a certain area for the content, pics Ect. That way I only have to deal with the banner, menus and navagition one time. There are people in here that know a lot more than I do but I think you are OK.
    Hope this helps
    winning is a habit unfortunately so is losing

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Copying your pages, content and all, would be likely to cause a dup content penalty.

I design pages with a certain area for the content, pics Ect. That way I only have to deal with the banner, menus and navagition one time.
    That's just using your layout as a template, not what I would call copying your pages.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks!!
    But, I was talking about having two or more exact pages.
    Nature

But, I was talking about having two or more exact pages.
    Google and the others will sniff that out pretty quick especially if they're on the same site (in like, one cycle, if it ever lets them both in at all) and whack one or more with a dup content penalty.

You should change enough text on the clones enough to miss the filter, or, if you're not trying to get the clones indexed, just use robots.txt to keep the engines from seeing the duplications and work on the ranks of the main pages.

But if you're trying to get yourself some extra listings--it takes more effort to panelize the SERPs than just verbatim copying a bunch of files; the SEs are onto that one like glue...the engines have to think they're all different pages, and from different sites.

Leader is right. Read the Google Webmaster Guidelines pages.

http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html

Google: "Don't create multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with substantially duplicate content"

These are not really guidelines. They are the rules to follow if you wish to avoid penalties.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

ABW Ambassador
    Why do you want 2 or more exact pages?

Silly Me!!
    I was under the impression - in my mind- if I have 5 pages with that nice computer on it, more people would see it and I would make more (some) money.
    Nature

five pages with the same picture won't matter if the content is fairly different each time.

Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    Confuscious say......

Greedy Webmaster gets Sandboxed make no money

If you think it's helpful to speed up your task then go on, just make sure that you're not copying the entire message. To create your own msgs will still be the best thing to do bro...

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    just use robots.txt to keep the engines from seeing the duplications and work on the ranks of the main pages.
    Hi Leader
    What is robots.txt? & How do I do that?
    Thanks
    Nature

Quote Originally Posted by M_Diddy
    Confuscious say......

Greedy Webmaster gets Sandboxed make no money
    Am I really greedy just because I want to make a sale? If I want to make as much money as you some of guys (girls), how would you classify me?
    ...Almost Rich
    Nature

(If you want to try to get all the pages listed, DO NOT block the robots from them. Instead, just talk about the product [in different ways!] on more pages.)

With robots.txt, you make a file called robots.txt and put it in your root folder. With that, you can ban the bots from what you don't want them to see. I always forget the exact syntax and have to look it up when I want to do a robots.txt file, but there's a guide at http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/exclusion.html . You can also block them with special meta tags (how-to for that is on the same page as the other), which would probably be easier if only a few pages are involved.

But if you're not going for extra SE listings, then you could just link more of your current pages to the original page instead of actually copying it. For instance, put a link to it in the site-wide navigation. Then more of your existing traffic will be able to reach the original page.

And like Herb said, you could put pix, banners, or links on lots of pages as long as you have the text different enough.

If I want to make as much money as you some of guys (girls), how would you classify me?
    I've classified *myself* in all kinds of ways...
    One thing's for sure, if you're worried about being called "greedy" you'll end up putting obstacles in your own way. Learn to enjoy the sounds of the competition screaming, or it'll drive you nuts...after all the prey is supposed to yell!

(Expect some cracks from Ecom about that last sentence, if not now then after a delay )

Thank You! Leader
    Maybe you chose the wrong 'name' for yourself- Should't it be - Wisdom??

I'm not worried about being called "Greedy", because I am, if I weren't I wouldn't be here trying to learn ALL that I can from you guys/girls
    Thanks!
    Nature

...Or Wise Leader
    Nature

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread