Cool Physics Question
    Why Does the 1st (rent day) come around so fast and the 20th takes FOREVER!!!! Or is it just me?
    winning is a habit unfortunately so is losing

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It's only 10-11 days from the 20th to the 1st (depending on whether it's a 30 or 31 day month). But it's 20 days from the 1st to the 20th.

So it's not just you, it really does take only half the time to get to the first of the month, as it does to get from there to the 20th!
    Add in the psychological effects and you're really cooked.

My bills don't come due on the 1st. But I do have some that come due on the 18th! How's that for a groaner~?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    GF pays the bills, i just hand her my checkbook

I enjoy rent day. I don't know maybe it is just me but it feels hella good being able to pay ones bills with ones own money. Yeah yeah their bills but still thank god you can afford them.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    I enjoy rent day. I don't know maybe it is just me but it feels hella good being able to pay ones bills with ones own money. Yeah yeah their bills but still thank god you can afford them.
    I agree with that!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I'd rather pay my mortgage than rent any day. Heck, sometimes I pay extra...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

We' ve suffered the same fate Robert...

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    There's only one thing you can do that's better than paying extra on a mortgage, and that's paying off credit card debt.

Sheeesh. Now I'm starting to sound like Suzy whatshername.

...only one thing you can do that's better than paying extra on a mortgage, and that's paying off credit card debt.
    Well... Maybe one thing better still... Use credit cards wisely, only for what you CAN afford, and pay off the statement ending balance every period.

This just sparked a fun idea for an article! I'm off to write...

Cheers!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Robert484848
    Why Does the 1st (rent day) come around so fast and the 20th takes FOREVER!!!! Or is it just me?
    The 1st seems come around faster for many people not only because of the rent day, since many of us don't have to pay rent any longer but, because by the 1st, many of us have already spent the last check we got on the 20th.

Whom ever invented that catchy-phrase "Easy Comes, Easy Goes" must have been a gambler, because in the affiliate marketing business, it have become more uneasy lately to make money than it's to see it go.

So that is why it looks like the 1st come around so fast and the 20th takes forever! (and you're not alone on that perception.) Welcome to the club of natural philosophy on this lifetime.

Perhaps by 2006, things will be different if the trend that has begun in NY. continues, but for the next few months, I don't expect to see any change. So, save some of the money you get on the 20th and try to make it last past the 1st for the mean time.

Sal.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    As a former nuclear physicist and engineer, your thread title grabbed me.

Been a long time since I went fission...

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I think you ruptured your space-time continuum. Next time wear a cup.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    It's the Law of Entropy. Our universe naturally proceeds from a state of order to disorder.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

It'll be a small localized time warp when the date goes into double figures thereby slowing the time from 1 -20 down and a reverse time warp over 20, so the 20th to 1st of the next month speeds up by a greater amount than the apparent only 10 days would seem.

Employees are familiar with the phenomenon as similar devices are present in works canteens, rest-rooms, staff rest areas and the like. When I start work, time slows and so my employers can get 4 hours out of me in 2 hours, this extra 2 hours has to come from somewhere, so the time warp in the staff room door reclaims it when I enter for breaks or lunch.

It might be though that I'm sure somehow THEY sneak an extra 1st into some months and sometimes just skip the 20th altogether.

It's the Law of Entropy. Our universe naturally proceeds from a state of order to disorder.
    I like that one!

I also think the anticipation of the payment on the 20th makes it seem a lot longer - makes me recall the "a watched pot never boils" saying...

Andy

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    GF pays the bills, i just hand her my checkbook
    Hah.. Ditto.

Jughead once said that time is indeed relative--happy moments seem to be forever when you're still waiting for them and would just happen so fast when they're there.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread