Affiliate Manager
    Conference Input
    Making decisions on upcoming affiliate conferences. Either will be my first attending. Does anyone have any input on which is better. Affiliate Summit or CJU ?

IMO...

I went to CJU last year and wasn't terribly impressed. The event was very flashy, but it was impossible to meet anyone - there were over 1,000 attendees! The presentations were okay, but I was there to meet people and had a very difficult time doing so. Everyone was crammed into a narrow hallway at the resort, and there was no effort made to break us into smaller groups. While it was all very fancy, it was disorganized and had the feel of a timeshare sales pitch. I won't be going back there this year - I'll be at Affiliate Summit this year instead.
    [size=2]Amanda Moralis
    The Eastwood Company
    [email="affiliates@eastwood.com"]affiliates AT eastwood.com[/email]
    [url="http://www.eastwood.com/jump.jsp?itemID=34&itemType=CONTENT"]Sign-up Link[/url]
    [/size]

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaM
    IMO...

I went to CJU last year and wasn't terribly impressed.
    I agree! I'm not sure if I would do CJU again. The location is gorgeous, and that's the best thing they had going. I had so many problems with the hotel, they ended up giving me one night free - if was a nightmare.

I can't speak for Affiliate Summit, as I don't have any experience with those events.

Good luck.

We've never had 1,000 attendees at CJU. Beginning last year we increased the limit to 400 attendees (it sells out every year). In previous years we limited it to around 250 attendees.

We do have networking opportunities durring the event beginning with our open house on Sunday evening. We had a speed networking session last year that got great feedback, which we will most likely do again this year. There are also two lunches and one dinner, which affords people the opportunity to sit together for extended periods. Many people set up private meetings in the many sitting areas as well.

CJU is what you make of it. We get a lot of positive feedback on the event each year. I think this will be our sixth year doing it and I have been to every one and have seen them get better and better each year.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    I think that the Vegas thing is geared towards the affiliate managers rather than affiliates

Also it is very young and $1500 is kinda steep if I am not gonna benefit as an affiliate.

I definately am going to CJU with my crew this year.

Years ago when I was going public I had a consultant prep me for doing a tradeshow/conference and he told me to set my goals, do my research, and prepare a gameplan for the event to make it successful.

So I agree with that Todd.

Big difference between 400 and 1000

ABW Ambassador
    >set my goals, do my research, and prepare a gameplan

You should have pre-scheduled meetings with the people you are interested in talking with.
    There is always time at conferences to meet if you skip a session or two.

imho

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Summit is geared more towards managers but you do meet alot of folks that are more than happy to talk to affiliates and you can make some good contacts. A face to face meeting can get alot more doors to open up for you and maybe even obtain some info that you won't find on message boards.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Smile Aff Summit vs. CJU
    This will be my first time attending the Summit but my sense is that they offer similar while still different benefits.

The Affiliate Summit is again, geared toward Advertisers more than Publishers (I gather) as stated by someone earlier in this thread, though I would imagine there is still a lot of opportunity for an Affiliate to gain through the networking opps, and through better understanding what issues Affiliate Managers face (just like we benefit from understanding Publisher issues).

I found that CJU was more geared at selling CJ on industry folks (like us), as well as teaching us all how to make the most of our programs (which was great for me at the time). They offered seminars specific to both Advertisers & Publishers, which was nice, though the event itself was very Advertiser-heavy. And like Amanda said - it was a nice venue so that was a nice bonus.

I think anyone new to the industry can really benefit from attending CJU because they really get down to basics in talking about how to market an Affiliate site, how to make the most of the CJ reporting interface, how to gauge the success of your program and more. If you're a veteran to the industry it may not be as beneficial, but it's still a nice getaway and as far as I'm concerned, attending industry events never hurts.

And that once again folks, is my $0.02.

Sorry Todd; I honestly thought there were over a thousand there. Maybe it just seemed like it! Anyway, I wish you guys a huge amount of success with this year's event, and to everyone who chooses to go - Have Fun!
    [size=2]Amanda Moralis
    The Eastwood Company
    [email="affiliates@eastwood.com"]affiliates AT eastwood.com[/email]
    [url="http://www.eastwood.com/jump.jsp?itemID=34&itemType=CONTENT"]Sign-up Link[/url]
    [/size]

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread