Adobe/Yahoo Relationship
    I pretty much avoid .pdf files like the plague, but sometimes a particular item that interests me makes me click. I've noticed of late that when I do view a .pdf that Adobe tries to add extras to their automated update that you have to de-select.

When I accessed a .pdf tonight they wanted to update to version 7.0 from 6.0, that's fine, but even when just selecting that upgrade, they throw a "Yahoo" toolbar underneath it in the selected updates. I tried to highlight just the toolbar to "remove" it, but it's not highlightable, so I tried "removing" the 7.0 update/upgrade, successfully, but it left the "Yahoo" tool bar in the install column.

I canceled the operation as that was the only way out. I don't like toolbars, I don't want a Yahoo toolbar, and I don't trust toolbars in general -- I figure there must be some reason Adobe wants to have the Yahoo toolbar installed with their updates and I have a strong suspicion that that reason is incompatible with my interests as an affiliate marketer.

Yeah, glad you notice it. I find this recent set up pretty annoying as well.

I manually downloaded Acrobat 7 from their site, remembering to specify that I wanted the non-slimed version. I remember having to go through a bit of a rigmarole to get it though. My advice.. try a manual download rather than an autoupdate.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    I manually downloaded Acrobat 7 from their site, remembering to specify that I wanted the non-slimed version. I remember having to go through a bit of a rigmarole to get it though. My advice.. try a manual download rather than an autoupdate.
    Thanks Dynamoo, good idea. I think, for now, I'll just skip them altogether, but if someday in the future 6.0 won't open some .pdf I need, I'll update that way.

lurk
    Have you guys heard much about "Flash Paper"... Coldfusion 7 you can use what's called Flash Paper to generate documents much like PDF although in Flash. Macromedias way of trying to compete with Adobe.

I wonder how that will go now that Adobe's buying Macromedia.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread