Invalid links generating traffic
    Every month I have to review and delete the links to merchants that have been deactivated by CJ. Lost of traffic from these invalid links is always my concern but more importantly I don’t want to loose the trust from my visitors that will kill my websites at the end.

On checking further, I found that most invalid links are coming from my SmartZones. I have more than 70 Smartzone Settings and growing. It’s not an easy work to fix them, scanning each merchant from the list on every SmartZone and deciding whether the active merchants should also be deleted or not. Sometime I spent hours to do this dirty job.

Once I thought a silly idea, if we added up all hours spent by every publisher to clean invalid links from their SmartZones for the entirely years, the result would be …years and if we multiplied with the average labor cost (senior and junior publishers do the same thing), the result would be … dollars and if … etc. I know that some of our colleagues out there just put the links and forget it.

I am not a programmer, but I think CJ could save the world and themselves by filtering their SmartZone Settings. I believe this will not only impact publishers, but also advertisers, CJ, Search Engines, and Internet shoppers. What do you think?
    IRS
    Don't ask why the ball doesn't come.

I've noticed that links removed years ago will suddenly show up on the invalid links list. I can only gather that those pages were somehow saved offline for future use, or my site has temporarily entered The Twilight Zone.

I also find updating SmartZones to be cumbersome and a real pain in the neck. CJ should offer a feature that allows a specific ad to be removed from ALL SmartZones, or a merchant to be removed from all of them. It seems CJ just keeps removing helpful tools that result in making it harder for publishers to update their sites, without doing much to improve the functionality and user friendliness of the interface.

Andy

Great ideas - I will pass them over to product development.

Thanks,
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

I would post Smartzones more often if the management and creation were better. One thing I would like to see is the ability to use the check boxes to check multiple product links and add a batch to the chosen smart zone. At this time you can check multiple links and then choose add to SZ but only the first link appears in the SZ. This seems very primitive to say the least. If fact why isn't there an integrated html generator similar to the 3rd party PSC, where I could check off my chosen product links and then have the option of creating (even a crude) html page. This seems like it would be simple to implement and be very very helpful to publishers creating quick pages. It seems that right now there is only 2 options: either the huge product data feed clones or one link at a time. Shouldn't there be some other options in between? it is so surprising to me how primitive all the affilliate networks are as far as enabling publishers to perform at their best at all levels. Shareasale seems to be the most innovative of them all.

Tami

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well said Tami. I'm sure with the media heat being placed upon ValueClick and this industry over sleezy affiliate advertising practices Todd will recognize CJ has to improve merchant conversion ratios from actual affiliate page creatives and forgo catering to the BHO's, e-mail spammers, freebee bundlers and false front info peddlers.

Their huge product datafeed was to fuel the Super comparision shopping engine affiliates (one they actually own) while offering mass doorway page SERP spam food for the tricksters. Now the networks have to convience those building shopper friendly showcase pages they're efforts won't be negated by the cookie tricksters and POS popup attack dogs so close to their hearts.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tami
    I would post Smartzones more often if the management and creation were better. One thing I would like to see is the ability to use the check boxes to check multiple product links and add a batch to the chosen smart zone. At this time you can check multiple links and then choose add to SZ but only the first link appears in the SZ. This seems very primitive to say the least. If fact why isn't there an integrated html generator similar to the 3rd party PSC, where I could check off my chosen product links and then have the option of creating (even a crude) html page. This seems like it would be simple to implement and be very very helpful to publishers creating quick pages. It seems that right now there is only 2 options: either the huge product data feed clones or one link at a time. Shouldn't there be some other options in between? it is so surprising to me how primitive all the affilliate networks are as far as enabling publishers to perform at their best at all levels. Shareasale seems to be the most innovative of them all.

Tami
    I Double Ditto the entire post.

Sal.

Thanks, guys!

Todd,
    Are these chnages that I suggest too much to ask?

Tami

Quote Originally Posted by Tami
    Thanks, guys!

Todd,
    Are these chnages that I suggest too much to ask?

Tami
    I don't think so - I promise to submit then to prod dev. We have a full plate of new features we are developing so it may take some time to see the 'light of day'.

Hang in there and thanks for all the suggestions.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread