ABW Ambassador
    NBC Nightly News - Spyware Targetting Kids
    Saw a commercial for this, will listen more closely next time it pops up, trying to find something on their site. Something about spyware targetting kids. NBC Nightly News

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/

I think they might be mainly about sypware, not sure if they'll go into adware or not. Will watch and see. Maybe they need a story idea or two?

Just thinking out loud about another post you made:
    Just a matter of time before this gets some Prime Time TV coverage. Since most people have some sort of adware/spyware on their computer there would be a wide audience. Can you imagine 60 Minutes or 20/20 doing some preview commercials for a show. Slow computer? Pop ups when you surf? Tune in and we'll show you how to get rid of it, how you got it in the first place and we'll also show you how some of your favorite merchants you shop at contribute to it. Boom.
    All the news organizations have online contact info. What if we all started writing to them asking them to do more indepth stories on the adware/spyware issues? You'd think that with Congress considering new legislation, New York filing a high-profile lawsuit, and so many people having computer crashes requiring a trip to the repair shop, that this would be a hot issue and one of the Television News Magazines would have hit on it by now.

But then, sometimes people don't see what's right in front of their faces, and a few hundred emails from ABW members might just open their eyes.

Emails sent. Good idea Tracy. I hope everyone else sends an email to every news network they know.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    Just thinking out loud about another post you made:

All the news organizations have online contact info and a few hundred emails from ABW members might just open their eyes.
    I use to use this resource back in my publishing days -

http://newsdirectory.com/

Bookmark it, it has very good resources and contact info to all channels...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

I find this to be a very interesting topic. And I wanted to pose another question to ABW'ers. Are there separate definitions of spyware and adware?

I've read a number of articles from the likes of WhenU and 180Solutions and all of those others under fire on this topic...and I've seen a number of quotes where these executives are stating that they're adware not spyware...

But anytime I hear this discussion in the news or on ABW, everyone always lumps the two together and says adware/spyware...

So is there a difference? And if so, is one "better" than the other?

Angry
    that which delivers an ad to your computer screen in place of my ad is adware.

that which phones home with what you are looking at, or reports for how long, (without your express permission) is spyware.

Internet Cowboy
    To the best of my knowledge, Adware only serves ads where spyware communicates with the "home base" and tells them what the user typed in and then gets an incoming communication on what web site to show in the ensuing pop-up. I might be wrong on this.
    In either case, consumers are being bombarded with ads resulting in either being tricked in to downloading the software or as a result of a drive-by download so in this case they are equally bad. Also in either case, the affiliate marketing industry is being smeared as the culprit when indeed it is just a handful of rogue affiliates who are the problem.
    180 claims they are not spyware yet the Zango program does indeed communicate with 180's servers frequently. A packet sniffer loaded on to your test computer will clearly show you this communication and the content of it.

Thumbs down re 180:
    ya gotta understand with 180: they sold the download/install apparatus to many other people. Whether downloads came from them or their customers is irrelevant. Anyway, the deal was that 180 charged for time in use at the end client's computer and it was almost impossible to get rid of it without connecting with their server to do it. And when you were trying to get rid of it their screens tried their damndest to divert you from accomplishing it.

if you dig in the parasite forum here for the threads where their mouthpiece tried to put a good spin on what they were doing, you will find that the basic question (regarding monetary harm to us) was never answered.

ABW Ambassador
    Should be coming up any minute now.

Good story, but barely scratched the surface. They really need to do a more thorough job on their Prime Time News Magazine, Dateline NBC.

ABW Ambassador
    eh, some kid clicked a pop up, and parents got a $564 phone bill. Something about overseas phone calls. 4/5 computers have adware, and more malicious stuff called spyware. Showed woman surfing kids sites and in 5 hours picked up 300 pieces of adware/spyware. Experts say monitor kids, run anti virus, anti sypware programs and firewall programs and update them frequently. And that's about it. Little steps.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    eh, some kid clicked a pop up, and parents got a $564 phone bill. Something about overseas phone calls. 4/5 computers have adware, and more malicious stuff called spyware. Showed woman surfing kids sites and in 5 hours picked up 300 pieces of adware/spyware. Experts say monitor kids, run anti virus, anti sypware programs and firewall programs and update them frequently. And that's about it. Little steps.

...Inform the Young ones...

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Good Story.

Now they just need to get in touch with my neighbors teenage kids. The more music they download the molre spyware adware they get.

some kid clicked a pop up, and parents got a $564 phone bill.
    Yes, I have seen this complain from parents before too.

I pay a flat $50 per month for unlimited long distance to US/Canada 24/7. So, about a year ago when a $15 charge appeared on my bill for long distance service from another company, I called and complained to my telephone company. I knew I never ordered such a service. Why would I? I already had unlimited.

What really made me angry was that my telephone company seemed unconcerned. They told me I had to call the other company to have it removed from my bill. They were not interested in hearing how this company was illegally charging phone bills. So, I called. And one of the automated prompts was to have their charges removed from my telephone bill. I went through the prompt, but then called back and spoke to an operator.

She kept insisting that I ordered their service which, if I keyed in some code, would cover up to so many hundred minutes a month of long distance. I said I never ordered such a service. She said that I did it through the Internet.

All I can think is that I filled out some form somewhere with my phone number on it, and without authorization, they processed the order for the long distance service.

I'm just wondering how many people were charged $15/month who don't look at their phone bill very closely? My bill is the same every month, so a $15 increase stood out. But while people will notice over $500 in fraudulent charges, a smaller amount will sneak by a lot of people.

ABW Ambassador
    Tracy, make sure to contact your public utility commission in your state, or your attorney general. Many of these companies exist just by slamming, and those agencies will not know how big the problem is with that company unless people file complaints.

I own a webhosting company, I supposedly agreed to pay $30 a month for a 4 page website for my webhosting company...

Chet

I used to work for the phone company in California, and generally you have to try to get the other company to remove the charge first. Let the phone company know you're disputing the charge and it won't effect your service. If you have too much trouble with the company charging you, then you can bring in the phone company.

Received a response from 60-Minutes. Seems that if we want to suggest a story, we have to submit it via Snail Mail:

If you wish to bring a matter to the attention of 60 MINUTES, it must be
    done in writing via postal mail. Please write to:

Story Editor
    60 MINUTES
    CBS News
    524 West 57 Street
    New York, NY 10019

60 MINUTES requests that all story suggestions be submitted in concise,
    written form. Please do not send any additional materials that might have
    to be returned until you are specifically requested to do so by the 60
    MINUTES staff. We receive a large number of story suggestions each week and
    cannot rule out the possibility that tapes or documents might be misplaced.

ABW Ambassador
    Alright, sounds good

As we discussed in the chat this afternoon, it is important to emphasize the need to clean up computers and stop the parasitic downloads. I guess I should have added that this is what I initially sent as my story suggestion:
    With as many as 4 out of 5 computers on the Internet being infected by adware/spyware, I'm surprised that you haven't done an indepth story on this issue, especially now that Congress is in the process of enacting legislation, and the New York AG recently filed suit against one of the companies responsible. This stuff is killing people's computers, and repair shops report that a large percentage of repairs are required because of the driveby downloads. Having had to have my computer completely reformatted, I strongly feel people would appreciate an indepth story on the issues.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread