Question Help Data Feed
    Can some one please explain how to use Data Feeds, what advantage there is in using them, and what the FTP access for data feeds relates to. I have searched SAS help there is no information there.
    Thanks

Huron

Quote Originally Posted by huron
    Can some one please explain how to use Data Feeds, what advantage there is in using them, and what the FTP access for data feeds relates to. I have searched SAS help there is no information there.
    Thanks

Huron
    I'll add my request to this one.

Ok...
    Let's take a merchant, say they are called Merchant X

Now, you want to have all of the WIDGETS that Merchant X sells. Rather than manually getting each and every one of the 5,000 widgets and adding them to your site, you get access to the FTP server where you enter a username and password, and you download the data feed.

the datafeed is a file with every 'widget' in it and each value / field for the widget is separated by a delimiter (say a comma). Here's an example:
    productsku,itemname,itemcategory,itembrand, itemprice,itemdescription,affiliateurl, etc

Now, you use a program such as Webmerge, or you write your own code to parse the datafeed (separate the fields for each product), and this lets you automatically add all 5,000 widgets to your database.

Now, this doesn't have to be for 5,000.... it could be for 1, 10, 100, 1,000,000, etc.
    The advantage of using a datafeed, or one of the advantages is that your site will constantly be updated. For example, if overstock no longer sells the 4,051 widget, it will not be in the datafeed so your system/website can figure out that the item no longer exists. Also, this is a way of keeping the prices (if you display product prices) up-to-date.

For all those who are interested in learning how to work with datafeeds, I would highly recommend searching ABW (use the "Search" function on the very top of the page, next to "Quick Links") for the following keywords: datafeed, data feed, feed. There is a number of threads where exactly the same question has been asked and answered thoroughly.

Good luck!

Geno

Hello,

New Shareasale affiliate here. I understand the concept of datafeeds, my problem is when I attempt to access the download csv link on any of the merchant accounts with large feeds, I get a 400.

Can someone tell me what I'm not doing correctly?

Thanks

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    For the larger feeds, it is far better to utilize the FTP server to get access...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Oooookay, Brian. Now my ignorance becomes visible. How do I do that? I read the instructions about ftp, but how do I access and download from specific merchants?

DUH! Never mind. Was up all night working on a deadline and my brain is fried.

Thanks!

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread