ABW Ambassador
    Does Amazon have a problem with Parasites??
    Over the last few months, I have been slowly changing several links over from CJ and Linkshare to Amazon. With certain merchants, I have done quite well. There is a certain merchant that I used to sell all day long with cj; over 10 sales a day. I changed the links over because I would earn more with Amazon. Well in the beginning, I made a few sales with Amazon. It's been three weeks and I have not made one sale and I have the same amount of clicks per/day. One thing that I have noticed is Amazon has put an advertised google ad close to my natural google listing for every single one of these products on Google. Is it possible that Amazon saw that I was getting multiple sales a day of this product and decided not to give me credit for any of them? Or could it be parasites. Recently, they did the same thing with two of my old linkshare merchants; Inserting a google paid ad next to my natural listing. I was selling two of their products all day long and with one of them I have not sold any in over a month.

I'm seeing the reverse. Last month I switched all my links from a CJ merchant to Amazon for a particular line of products and I'm seeing 5 to 40 sales per day.

Does amazon advertise on Google, or is it an affiliate advertising and just having the page redirect to amazon? I just did a search on one of the products I promote, and there was a Google Ad with Amazon.com. But, the person included "Aff" in the verbiage. Clicking on the link too me directly to Amazon.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    I'm seeing the reverse. Last month I switched all my links from a CJ merchant to Amazon for a particular line of products and I'm seeing 5 to 40 sales per day.

Does amazon advertise on Google, or is it an affiliate advertising and just having the page redirect to amazon? I just did a search on one of the products I promote, and there was a Google Ad with Amazon.com. But, the person included "Aff" in the verbiage. Clicking on the link too me directly to Amazon.
    Hi Tracy,
    I just checked again and they are definitely not affiliate links. It's a pure Amazon ad in the right column. I can only assume Amazon realized that I was receiving MANY clicks to these products and they decided to pay for advertising. "Unless the actual merchant who sells on Amazon and cj placed these direct ads to Amazon??" The ads are exactly the same for each individual product except they mention the product name in their title. I find it impossible that I am not making any sales.

Are you sure the ad is amazon's? I did the same search again. The amazon link says:
    *TITLE REMOVED*
    Huge Selection. Low Prices.
    Free shipping too! assoc.
    www.amazon.com
    When I click on the link and arrive at amazon, I do not see the affiliate's code in the url, but that doesn't mean it isn't an affiliate link. I think it is conceivable that somebody else is heavily promoting the product and beating you out on it.

When you say, "It's been three weeks and I have not made one sale and I have the same amount of clicks per/day." What clicks are you talking about? Are you looking at the amazon Order Summary Report, and talking about the "Direct-Link" Clicks?

Give me a little while, and I'll download my reports, to see my actual data.

Well the data is a little overwhelming because there are so many little items in this collection. I removed the smaller items (which often have orders of 12 at a time), and just concentrated on the big ticket items. I changed the links on April 18, so this is from April 18 to May 13:

Code:
    	 DL     DL    Other  Total
             Click	Order Order  Order
    Item 01     23   5      1       6
    Item 02     31   1      1       2
    Item 03     10   1      1       2
    Item 04     22   9      0       9
    Item 05     10   2      0       2
    Item 06      7   1      1       2
    Item 07      8   0      2       2
    Item 08     12   5      0       5
    Item 09     13   0      2       2
    Item 10     43   8      0       8
    Item 11     28   5      0       5
    Item 12     27   1      0       1
    Item 13     10   1      0       1
    Item 14     19   1      0       1
    Item 15     41   7      0       7
    Item 16      8   0      4       4
    Item 17     13   1      0       1
    Item 18     34   3      0       3
    Item 19     94  10      0      10
    Item 20     40   8      0       8
    Item 21     27   7      0       7
    Item 22      7   1      0       1
    Item 23     18   2      0       2
    Item 24      2   0      3       3
    Item 25      8   1      0       1
    Item 26     22   1      0       1
    Item 27     19   0      1       1
    Item 28      4   1      0       1
    Item 29      2   1      0       1
    Item 30     33   2      0       2
    Item 31     16   3      0       3
    Item 32      5   2      0       2
    Item 33     21   3      0       3
    Item 34     31   1      0       1
    Item 35     20   3      0       3
    Item 36     23   4      1       5
    Item 37     44   3      0       3
    Item 38     53	13      0      13
    Item 39     22   3      0       3
    Item 40      9   0      2       2
    Item 41     26   2      0       2
    Item 42      7   1      0       1
    Item 43     33   3      0       3
    	---------------------------
    TOTAL      945 126     19     145

Sales/Clicks Conversion 15.34%
    I get top listing at google for most of the natural searches. But, I also do adwords for specific key word phrases. However, I have the links land on my page, not directly at amazon. Usually (and I like this), my natural listing appears on one page, and my adwords ad appears on the other page. I never bid more than 5 cent minimum, but I do make the keywords appear in my ad:

KEYWORD
    Find a complete selection of
    KEYWORD here!
    myurl.com

Item 38 is interesting because it is the one item that I don't have Page 1 Google rank, but it sold the most. It does have page 1 rank with adwords, but from April 18 to May 13 only received 4 clicks for 70 searches.

Of course, this doesn't account for traffic from other sources like Yahoo and MSN. Also, these items have been featured on my home page.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    Are you sure the ad is amazon's? I did the same search again. The amazon link says:

When I click on the link and arrive at amazon, I do not see the affiliate's code in the url, but that doesn't mean it isn't an affiliate link. I think it is conceivable that somebody else is heavily promoting the product and beating you out on it.

When you say, "It's been three weeks and I have not made one sale and I have the same amount of clicks per/day." What clicks are you talking about? Are you looking at the amazon Order Summary Report, and talking about the "Direct-Link" Clicks?

Give me a little while, and I'll download my reports, to see my actual data.
    Hi Tracy,
    Yes they are direct link clicks. It's in the section that you click on where you see your clicks without orders.

My listings are all natural in the top ten of google and other search engines and they land on my website first.

Also, I checked the ad again and it does not say assoc. next to it and from what I can see it's an amazon ad not an assoc.

That doesn't necessarily mean it isn't an affiliate link. Adsense used to require that you included "Aff." in your ad if you were an affiliate, but they dropped that requirement. Some people obviously didn't get that message.

The point I was trying to make is that when I clicked on the one that had "aff" in the ad, I was taken directly to amazon. The url did not include the affiliate's id, so I'm guessing there is some sort of redirect involved, but the affiliate still gets credit. Even though the ad you're looking at doesn't have "aff" in it, doesn't mean it isn't an affiliate.

When I click on one of my own amazon links, I can see my affiliate id in the url. As soon as I click on another link, my affiliate id no longer shows in the url, but I still get credit for any sales during the session.

But, then this doesn't account for the fact that you're getting clicks but no sales. If this is just one item, you might want to switch it back to the CJ merchant for a week and see if you get sales.

I just find it hard to believe that amazon has time to hone in on your one product and is going into direct competition with you. I'm assuming it isn't a really big ticket item that costs several thousand dollars or it wouldn't have been converting 10 times a day.

If they were in the business of doing that, then I would be seeing them compete against me in the Items in the report above. These are items that cost between $30 and $90 each, and I'm seeing daily conversions.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Tracy,
    Thanks for all of your suggestions! Yes you are right, they are items between $30.00 and $90.00. Something is not right though.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread