Exclamation Important thread re:parasiteware in the news
    If you're reading in this forum, then you obviously are concerned about Parasiteware. If so, you should make sure to check out the following thread going on in ABestWeb's Cafe regarding a recent article in the LA Times attacking spyware/adware/parasiteware:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=58102

The author of the LA Times article is not only interested in more leads and info pertinent to this subject, but has even posted his personal yahoo email address in the thread.

Take advantage of this rare opportunity - a member of the press is actually outing companies like Commission Junction, Travelocity, Home Depot, etc, for supporting these unethical companies - write to him with any info you have that can cause this article to be the first in a series that could ultimately force companies to be accountable for who they affiliate with and end the parasiteware problem once and for all!

Affiliate Manager
    Kinda ironic: US industries have lost tens of billions to spam, but because the Direct Marketing Association has a huge lobby we have zero effective legislation to fight it.

But with only a fraction of the economic losses, parasiteware is now the hot topic both in the news and in Congress.

Good thing malware vendors don't have a lobby.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    malware vendors don't have a lobby
    They don't? Tell that to the Claria lobbyists in DC!

Affiliate Manager
    Maybe I should have said "effective lobby".

We'll see. If the anti-spyware initiative floating around Congress gets passed in a form as weak as the designed-to-be-ineffectual CAN-SPAM Act then I'll eat my words.

Interesting item I picked up in the news last week: since enacting the CAN-SPAM Act most spam comes from the US, and the majority of US spam comes from two counties in south Florida.

Given that Florida has evidently chosen to embrace spam as a tax base, maybe they wouldn't mind if ISPs blocked all IPs from that region until they "rejoin the family of nations."
    Richard Gaskin

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Richard,

I think their lobbying is being more effective than what you realize. It's just not blatant (ie they aren't there lobbying for no spyware legislation necessarily...emphasizing spyware). That doesn't mean the lobbying isn't being effective to their ends. In fact, many of the adware (emphasizing adware) companies are encouraging this legislation (or that antispyware legislation is passed). Don't eat your words, but ask yourself why.

Affiliate Manager
    Damn -- back to FirstGov.com....
    Richard Gaskin

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B
    Richard,

I think their lobbying is being more effective than what you realize. It's just not blatant (ie they aren't there lobbying for no spyware legislation necessarily...emphasizing spyware). That doesn't mean the lobbying isn't being effective to their ends. In fact, many of the adware (emphasizing adware) companies are encouraging this legislation (or that antispyware legislation is passed). Don't eat your words, but ask yourself why.
    The Adware folks aren't getting off the hook by a long shot. The laws will target ANY software placed upon individuals computers without the explicit consent of an adult. Download apps will have a simple EULA and bold notice if Adware or Spyware are bundled in the download. The legal Eagles are going after deceptive advertising, drive-by and hidden bundling installs and targeting of minors. No way can the Adware perps un-bundle their bundles in the publics or legislators eyes. They have NO FANS.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Mike,

I agree that is where legislation is heading. That is where some legislation has headed already. And certainly non-consentual installs should be outlawed. Really should have been a no brainer that happened long ago. But again, there are adware companies who are supporting publicly such legislation. Again ask yourself why.

There is much talk and focus on the misleading installs and drive-by installs. But there are also many bundled installs out there which do provide EULA's and make it easy to understand that adware (but not SPYWARE) is also being installed. And end users go ahead with the install.

I want legislation on the books regarding misleading or no consent installs. But let me ask you.....are affiliate's and merchant's business and revenue any less impacted by that parasite which contained a EULA than the one that didn't? Are the folks who have EULA's with their install given a certain level of 'respectability' because they do while the other 'bad' guys don't even though their software functions in the same fundamental way? Why are more and more of the adware companies plastering their downloads with "Spyware Free" notices? Just HOW is pending and passed legislation defining consent and what an acceptable EULA really is? I've seen such statements as "easy to understand" which seems pretty vague and open to quite a bit of interpretation.

Again ask yourself just why some of the major adware companies are supporting spyware legislation and at the Federal level. And ask to what degree such legislation will impact upon your rights to engage in fair trade on the Internet without interference from others. And ask yourself what it will really mean when adware companies to point to complying with a Federal Law and guidelines for a consentual install and really hide behind "the consumer wants it" when talk starts shifting to what these guys are actually doing with their software to generate revenue. And don't forget that part of the UT bill that addressed business interference (popping on other's sites) was contested by WhenU and removed from that legislation.

And no I'm not saying at all that legislation regarding EULA's and consents doesn't need to happen. It does. I'm saying that adware companies have a lot to protect and they are very adaptable (they always have been). I do think they are shifting the focus where it best suits them in the long run which is on consent and away from how their revenue is being generated.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The consent issue becomes real sticky when the legislators look into how much money in rewards/points/rebates actually do get distributed to the accepting members. They'll find the graft angle and unreported expensing of payouts to paper sister companies and phoney front affiliate group circle jerks. The pseudo ghost networks of hidden tier playas.

It will be interesting to see how far the legal eagles unravel the twisted threads of the Adwhores web watched over by a hord of parasitic commission sucking spiders.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread