Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question some one is stealing my money
    What would you do if you found out some one is stealing your transactions from you? I am new here and looking for help. Thank you.

Hi mlee,

I'm guessing you're talking about parasitic behavior. We've all been battling it for quite some time.

You might start by visitng the Parasite Forum: http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158

You'll learn there which merchants don't involve themselves with parasites, and which are riddled with them.

We're all in the same boat.

thanks Tracy. Here is what happened -let's us Target as an example.

1.click Target link on my site
    2.the url on the top is Target's url without my affilate ID shown and someone else linkshare ID is shown on the bottom "openning page" part. And in between is a web page with a message of "Thanks for waiting. In just second, you'll be earning cash discounts ........"
    3. then arrived at Target page.

Is this something you are familiar with? Thanks.

It is probably one of the rewards program sites that give people a rebate for shopping with them like eBates. Have you signed up for any of those programs recently and downloaded their software on to your machine? If so, then it's tracking the sites you visit, and if the site (like Target) is in their program, their overwriting your cookies with their cookies.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    mlee,

If you clicked your link and are seeing a different aff id show in the browser during the redirects to Target, then your affiliate tracking is being overwritten by someone else. This would be happening because of software that is installed on your computer.

You can find out who it is and clean your computer by installing and running a spyware removal application like Microsoft's program (free download from microsoft's web site). You can also go to Add/Remove Software through Control Panel and see what may be showing there. There's a high probability that if you have one adware program installed on your computer you didn't know about, you may well have others also. So it's probably a good idea to run the spyware removal application.

Let us know what you find.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    The prompts you describe are just like the Moe Money Makerô (eBates).
    You're infected.
    Follow Kellie's advice now!

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

Quote Originally Posted by mlee13105
    thanks Tracy. Here is what happened -let's us Target as an example.

And in between is a web page with a message of "Thanks for waiting. In just second, you'll be earning cash discounts ........"

Is this something you are familiar with? Thanks.
    I think this is eBates' Moe Money Maker. I'm pretty sure that is the line it uses when it redirects so that they get credit for the sale.
    [size=2]Amanda Moralis
    The Eastwood Company
    [email="affiliates@eastwood.com"]affiliates AT eastwood.com[/email]
    [url="http://www.eastwood.com/jump.jsp?itemID=34&itemType=CONTENT"]Sign-up Link[/url]
    [/size]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Yep it reeks of Paul Nichols welding his eBats to club consumers into thinking the merchants automagically want to reward them via a redirect. The lazy worthless AM's pushing these BHO's upon their merchant bosses live large on getting their cut in the double dipping fees and secretly laugh when getting a rubber stamp approval to increase the BHO's commission rate. Never dawns on them the commission bleed from real physical click affiliates assures those sheeple can't earn a decent ROI. Nor do they give a rats ass if their merchant victim gets whacked by increased commission rates on non-commissionable cookie sets while paying out 100% of the rebates-coupons and rewards offered by the BHO's as consumer bait.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Actually what was described doesn't sound typically Ebates. The prompt usually comes through a pop up by them and not necessarily through the main browser status bar. Of course you never know and many apps have several versions of their software floating around out there and have a way of changing subtle behaviors frequently. It could be one of several possible applications.

A definite infection though and best to get cleaned up.

it is ebates. its logo on it with that funny picture of Mr. More or whatever you call him. I can check on my PC to remove all the related software but what about all my members? I work hard to get them to my site and ebates gets all the money? Give me a break. is there any industry stardard that we can work together to stop ebates doing this? Is this considered as a criminal? any suggestions? Thanks.

Removing it from your system won't help your infected members giving their all to your incentive competitors.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    mlee, any idea how you picked it up?

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    mlee, any idea how you picked it up?

one of my freinds was buying something from Dell and he told me about ebate's window kept coming out before he arrived at Dell's site. I asked him to keep a file of the click flow for the whole transaction and found out.
    Last edited by mlee13105; May 16th, 2005 at 12:57 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    it is ebates. its logo on it with that funny picture of Mr. More or whatever you call him. I can check on my PC to remove all the related software but what about all my members? I work hard to get them to my site and ebates gets all the money? Give me a break. is there any industry stardard that we can work together to stop ebates doing this? Is this considered as a criminal? any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi, mlee13105,

I am not a lawyer but it seems to be highly organized interstate criminal activity using the telecommunications infrastructure to me.

It seems to me some attorney generals should know about this.

The National Association of Attorney Generals has a web site at:

http://www.naag.org/

Best,
    RadarCat, WebMaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

I can check on my PC to remove all the related software but what about all my members? I work hard to get them to my site and ebates gets all the money? Give me a break.
    eBates only gets the money if the members you are talking about have joined eBates and downloaded the software onto their individual computers. Are you a member of eBates affiliate program? Are you promoting them on your website?

Is there any industry stardard that we can work together to stop ebates doing this? Is this considered as a criminal? any suggestions? Thanks.
    Technically, if somebody joins eBates and voluntarily downloads the software on their personal computer, it is not illegal.

There is an eBates forum in the Parasite section: http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167

[QUOTE=Tracy]eBates only gets the money if the members you are talking about have joined eBates and downloaded the software onto their individual computers. Are you a member of eBates affiliate program? Are you promoting them on your website?

No Tracy, I am not an eBates affiliate member. The prompts from ebates during the transaction seem so well designed. It didn't go to any other pages of eBates, only the page with a message of "waiting for a moment......" then jumped to Dell's site.

"if somebody joins eBates and voluntarily downloads the software "

And what if somebody does NOT join Ebates and does NOT voluntarily download their software, but it is there anyway?

The prompts from ebates during the transaction seem so well designed. It didn't go to any other pages of eBates, only the page with a message of "waiting for a moment......" then jumped to Dell's site.
    That's because their software is running the background on the computer being used to go to Dell.

Ebates offers its members cash-back incentives to shop with them. When they first started out years ago, the member was required to first go to the Ebates site, then click a link there to get to the Dell site (and drop eBates cookie) to qualify for the rebate.

However, now they have the Mo Money Machine. When somebody has downloaded that software on their computer, there is no need to go to the eBates site first. The Mo Money software operates in the background, and if the surfer clicks on a link at your site to go to Dell, Mo Money takes over and overwrites your cookie giving eBates instead of you credit for the sale.

Really stinks, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    "if somebody joins eBates and voluntarily downloads the software "

And what if somebody does NOT join Ebates and does NOT voluntarily download their software, but it is there anyway?
    Well, that's the whole debate, isn't it? Ebates claims that the people voluntarily downloaded their software. Guess it's up to us to prove otherwise. And who do we prove it to? Is there an Internet Police? An Internet Judicial System?

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Gosh is this gonna' sound jaded.... - but true...

Welcome to Affiliate Marketing mlee13105!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    Well, that's the whole debate, isn't it? Ebates claims that the people voluntarily downloaded their software. Guess it's up to us to prove otherwise. And who do we prove it to? Is there an Internet Police? An Internet Judicial System?
    anyone here familiar with everyone.net? it's a cj merchant too. it allows web owners to offer a free email service from their websites. it is supposed to be ad-supported but when members open their emails, it is not just the ad that's in there but also the drive-by downloads.

Imagine walking in to a car dealership and telling them you want to give the commission from your purchase to a third party. Would they sell you a car this way - nope.

We need merchants to wake up - eBates and the like do nothing to promote selling - they merely suck it off - hence "parasite".

As merchants realize that their reward pool is shared with non-promoters, they realize it dilutes their marketing efforts. It's inefficient and it's a net drain on their programs.

Simultaneously, consumers are fed up with sneaky installs, can't remove apps and slow computing as well as information security risks.

It's a mess - but people are fed up and legislators and others are beginning to act.

Do whatever you can to highlight and report bad activity - write your congressmen, send stuff to newspapers and news orgs, support those who work to expose the filth (Ben Edelman) and choose merchants who get it.

And join us on Wednesday at 3 in the chatroom:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=58259

Simultaneously, consumers are fed up with sneaky installs, can't remove apps and slow computing as well as information security risks.
    And let's not forget the repair bills when they have to lug their computer to a repair shop and have the whole thing reformatted after all the damage this crap does to them.

and PCs never come with the darn Windows install CD anymore either - what a pain!

Thumbs down
    Quote Originally Posted by waytogo
    anyone here familiar with everyone.net? it's a cj merchant too. it allows web owners to offer a free email service from their websites. it is supposed to be ad-supported but when members open their emails, it is not just the ad that's in there but also the drive-by downloads.
    WTF ...everyone.net is a CJ duper merchnat? Big Al of Deadwood fame wouldn't feed those parasite perps to the Chinaman's pigs. They'd give the pigs a disease and belly ache.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast