Hiring an Affiliate Manager
    I'm toying with the idea of hiring an affiliate manager to run the program for my business. What are the things I should be looking out for? What should I insist on? What should I watch out for?

This will be a first, and I don't want to get burned. I'm not even sure how it would work. Would I give them access to my ShareASale account? If not, how would they communicate with the affiliates?

Does anyone have a sample contract I should have them sign?

Any help would be appreciated!

You might want to consider one of the OPMs like Chris (WSO) or Andy.

I can personally recommend Chris. He and his team do an incredible job.

I haven't worked directly with Andy yet, but many others here rave about him.

I'm not sure how they charge, but I suspect that it's comparable to or cheaper than hiring an AM, and the service either one of them would provide would be tough to beat without hiring a whole team of AMs.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Michael,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not really looking for recommendations of an individual or company to use (though those are nice). What I'm really getting at is, what should I be concerned about when hiring someone.

"Make sure they agree to do XYZ" and "Never agree to ABC" kinds of things.

Best practices would be another way to say it. Advice from people who have hired an AM. What they wish they had or hadn't done, etc.

I'm not really looking for recommendations of an individual or company to use
    In that case, csi95,

I will not recommend anyone in particular, but I will do recommend you take a look at this thread: Affiliate Manager Certification Class - Miami I think you may be interested.

Sal.

Well, as much as I'd love a trip to sunny Miamia, FL, it's not in the cards.

Any other ideas?

Surely a lot of folks out there have done this...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I haven't done this myself (YET), but one thing I would advise is making sure that the prospective AM's last program didn't go down in (board) flames! It's amazing how many bad AMs somehow manage to get more merchants to touch them...

Try searching for any prospective AM's name here, and see if a lot of flames are associated with it. If 99% of the posts directed at him are flames, chances are that there's a pile of fuel...

Surely a lot of folks out there have done this...
    Yeah, there are, and I'm a bit surprised that there haven't been any direct-experience responses. Maybe it's because those merchants hired their AM in part to be their mouthpiece here, and they don't even know this thread exists. Or they don't want to put their AM on the spot by saying what they wouldn't do again...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I would still recommend that you at least look into one of the proven OPMs here on ABW. With them, you get proven experience and exposure to many high quality affiliates for a reasonable price. With an affiliate manager, it's more of a shot in the dark.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I recommend Chris and his WSO group.

Ok, putting aside Chris and Andy and anyone else specific, can I get some generic advice about hiring a Manager. Forget who it is.

What are those hard lessons learned from bad experiences in the past?

What are those things I must look for in an arrangement?

I'm looking for general advice, not a person's name.

Hello,

Welcome to ABW! I noticed your post and that you are from Albany. I am in Troy. I just sent a PM but wanted to let you know that I am here if you want to have a phone chat about your concerns and how to make the most of your program.

I hope that you find this helpful and I look forward to speaking with you soon.
    Lizabeth Sorensen
    Affiliate Program Consultant
    lizATemerchantconsultingDOTCOM
    www.emerchantconsulting.com
    518-233-7431 EST.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread