lGoogles link: command
    When I use the "link:URL" command in google with my url it results in very few results, but if I enter the command like this: "link: URL" - difference being there is one space between the colon and the url. With the space I get over 3,000 pages that are linking to my site, mostly link farms but still links. Anybody else notice this, explanation?

On googles site http://www.google.com/help/features.html#link the command is stated without the space. I have found that a space before the url on other google commands changes the results as well.

Tami

Maybe with the space shows links that don't count towards anything. Seems the ones that show up with the space are scraper sites and link farms as you said.

Thanks Jane I guess thats it.
    Tami

Google has altered the results of their link command for quite some time now. It's just not accurate. Use Yahoo for better results.

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by rmjvol
    Google has altered the results of their link command for quite some time now. It's just not accurate. Use Yahoo for better results.

Ross
    How do you use Yahoo to find out how many backlinks Google thinks you have ?

"link: URL" - all it does is find pages that mention the URL, as well the word link.

Google's backlink function always been next to useless, and it is only recently that they changed the wording of the function description from "shows you all the pages" (it never has) to "shows you pages".

ABW Ambassador
    >>How do you use Yahoo to find out how many backlinks Google thinks you have ?

No one knows outside of Google what links a site has or how many, but there's little chance any aren't known about them. Yahoo won't show how many Google knows about but right now it's the closest to accurate as we can find - and kept very up to date, too.

Posted over in the Yahoo forum, how to check backlinks there:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=58492

My point was ... there's no point using anything at or on Yahoo to imply what Google knows or reports. If you want to know what Google tells the world about your site, you gotta go to Google.

The phenomenon reported in the first post is actually quite interesting. Google has always appeared to filter out "template" backlinks from the link: results - those that appear in the footer of every page on a site, or in forum sigs, that kind of thing. Putting a space before the URL appears to include those in the results.

ABW Ambassador
    >>If you want to know what Google tells the world about your site, you gotta go to Google.

What Google knows about our sites, they're not telling. And what they're telling the world has nothing to do with what they know. That's why they broke the link command, so we couldn't see any more.

Most of us want to know how many links there actually are to our sites and where they're coming from, and Google is worthless for us finding out. The most complete source for that is Yahoo, and we can almost bet on it that if Yahoo knows about links, then so does Google - they're got an aggressive crawler that eats up links and pages like there's no tomorrow.

It's all good to know.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Here's a free tool, Haiko said it's parasite free, no registration to download and use, that checks backlinks at G, Yahoo, MSN and AOL:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=55471

As we all know, G intentionally under reports the backlinks - this tool confirms that by the counts it shows for any sites you check.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread