Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Question Anyone use GoldenCAN?
    Hey All -

Just got an email from one of my merchants touting their new affiliation with GoldenCAN software. Sounded like a great idea until I read the fine print. Aparently they replace your PID with their PID every 4th click and get those comissions on every 4th visitor.

Anyone use this yet? I was looking into it and it seems that quite a few of the big players are using it, Amazon, ebags, etc.

I'd love to hear what all of your thoughts are on this. Seems kinda strange to me not having control of your cookies and letting someone else take every 4th (or more?!) sale.

Happy Tuesday all.

Anyone at all? Come on, someone out there must be using it..... I know, I know, who cares, but I just wanted to get a feel for those programs like this and what everyone thinks about it. I'm torn. Easy, very, but eats comissions.

I received the e-mail to and I'm loking into it. I'm just starting to learn about how to use databases, so I was thinking of trying it out. This way I can have the site up at least when i'm still reading and all.
    Mel

Talking
    When your cookie is changed for the 4 sale you want to bet that their cookie stays for the 5, 6, 7, etc. and you will never get paid for anything but the first 3 sales?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Watchout for this one like Burgerboy warned. It just some affiliate trickster hawking merchant datafeed plugins on other affiliates sites to hawk their traffic. Your completely at his mercy to switch off & on his own affiliate ID code #.

Registrant:
    Malik, Asif
    ATTN: GOLDENCAN.COM
    c/o Network Solutions
    P.O. Box 447
    Herndon, VA. 20172-0447

Domain Name: GOLDENCAN.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
    Malik, Asif sp6tk2gh4nd@networksolutionsprivateregistration.com
    ATTN: GOLDENCAN.COM
    c/o Network Solutions
    P.O. Box 447
    Herndon, VA 20172-0447
    570-708-8780

Record expires on 30-Apr-2006.
    Record created on 30-Apr-2005.
    Database last updated on 20-May-2005 08:40:36 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

A.NS.INTERLAND.NET 64.226.28.33
    B.NS.INTERLAND.NET 69.0.145.33
    C.NS.INTERLAND.NET 64.77.127.42

Private Whois on a site that 20 days old..... reads like a snatch and grab playa.

Interesting to see his examples of his feed users. I click on a few as got exit popups, blind cookie setting and multiple active-X install attempts from some who need to be run out of this industry on a rail....after tar and feathering.
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; June 14th, 2005 at 04:33 PM.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Hey all,

As one of the AMs who has reviewed GoldenCAN (and mentioned it in my May newsletter), I would like to put a few things on the record.

1) GoldenCAN doesn't take every fourth sale, it replaces your URL with its URL (and PID) for every fourth click. This should average out to 25% of the commissions generated through the product datafeed links but doesn't mean that the tool is monitoring sales and taking credit for every fourth one.

2) GoldenCAN in no way changes any of the cookie rules. If the last click came through on your URL, you'll get the credit today, tomorrow and as long as that cookie exists. I can assure affiliates that you will get credit for clicks 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, and so on...

3) If you are already very familiar with product datafeeds and have a product database driving your site(s), then this isn't a solution for you. But for those who don't want to pay the network fees to get access to these feeds or don't have the technical knowledge to personally manage a product database, this is a fairly risk-free option for you. If it doesn't generate more sales for you, it doesn't cost you anything and you can simply remove the one line of HTML code from your site.

4) Before this falacy gets posted....GoldenCAN is not giving me any kickbacks or perks for this....This is coming from an AM who saw a useful tool that can probably help some of the affiliates in his program generate more revenue and commissions, which obviously helps the growth of the program.

We all realize that the affiliate marketing world isn't perfect and, as affiliates, there are a number of things that are systematically wrong that we would all like to see changed. But just because a few bad apples have "gamed the system" doesn't mean every new tool, site or person is a bad apple. From my personal experience with the people behind GoldenCAN, I can vouch for their sincerity in trying to bring new things to the affiliate marketing world that can improve upon the current status quo. Yes, they want to make more money (we all do) but they are striving to do it in an ethical manner.

Thanks.
    Matt

Matt Kennedy
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    FootSmart

Matt how come they hide from the affiliates on their site and Whois if they're so legit?

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ecomcity - I can't tell you why they registered the domain this way. But have you tried to contact them via their site? They are open to talk and quick to respond to all inquiries.

Since GoldenCAN is a new product for them, I know they'd enjoy talking to any and all affiliates who are interested. So I'm not sure where you get this "hiding from affiliates".

Now if you couldn't get a hold of someone and couldn't get any info from a whois lookup, then I'd be concerned. But you will have no problem getting a response from these folks.

As a follow up, I did contact them and they actually seem pretty legit. Only thing they don't offer (which I would like to see in the future) is the ability to see the breakdown of clicks that are mine and theirs.

After speaking with him, I was impressed. Seems like a cool idea for those who don't know how to or don't want to deal with creating their own datafeed system. I'm testing it out as an experiment, but so far, I've got nothing to complain about. I have seen a few comissions come through from it, so I know they're at least being honest.

It's not going to help at all with the search engines though as it's all one giant script that has no content... BUT, my customers can shop at least, and I like that idea.

Jury's still out, but I'm not giving up on them yet.

Anyone else using them that has any experience?

Both Asif and GoldenCan are 100% legit, I've seen the software, seen the work that they do and know what they've done to get were they are, they will probably also have other offerings besides the fourth click set up they have now. Look for some other really cool products from them.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

http and a telephoto
    I would rather buy a script straight up than let someone else grab my clicks. Sorry Haiko, I don't agree with you on this one and am quite surprized you support this model.

Edited to add:
    I also got emails from a ,merchant about the script and emailed them back explaining exactly why I thought it was a bad idea.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Todd,

Good luck with it!

===================
    Loxly,

For those with knowledge of how to use databases or parsing scripts this really wouldn't be applicable higher than a PSC type offering with the cost being paid by the affiliate at the rate of 25% of the clicks. Now, for the multitude of affiliates who don't know how to program or the 80%(++++) who never earn anything or throw up banner farms --- this offering is a complete winner because it allows for them to plunk into their site any merchant coupon or feed into their site with one line of code and offers them an opportunity to earn. That being said the model also offers a shopping mall type add on for sites that don't want to program one out or plunk down up front fees and per sale percentages, so on that side it's a winner also.

I've suggested to Asif a few enhancements and offerings (with better terms) that I'm sure even the seasoned affiliate will enjoy, as they say ... stay tuned
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Hey Todd -

Yes, keep us posted on what you think after the month is over. I'm giving it a try as well on a few of my merchants as a test.... We'll see.

On a side note, I'm sending you a PM about a merchant you're not listing on yoru site that I've had great success with. Might be worth adding.

i see that this solution cannot generate product web pages that search engines can spider.
    Would this be the main disadvantage ?

And i would like to see they will charge less for traffic share % ,
    25% is too much, and i have no idea if they will increase their percentage to cheat affiliates, as everything is under their control.

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.

For those with knowledge of how to use databases or parsing scripts this really wouldn't be applicable higher than a PSC type offering with the cost being paid by the affiliate at the rate of 25% of the clicks.
    Excellent point. I might add, and I built a site with them this week just to experiment, is there system allowed me to build a site quickly that I was having trouble building before because of a poorly organized datafeed with a merchant. Not sure how GoldenCan got it to work, but I finally got one year old domain up that I had not before.

Still, I will reserve judgement and will post here my results with this company.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    but I finally got one year old domain up that I had not before.

Still, I will reserve judgement and will post here my results with this company.
    I don't think just by getting and old domain up is going to do any good. Does your old domain has any traffic? Remeber you have to have traffic to benefit form this program. Nothing comes free my friend.

Sam 2005

PS. I see this in their FAQs check it out

http://store.goldencan.com/faq.aspx#Q18

Well, got my first sale from a Goldencan link this weekend. Just thought I'd give you an update. Don't know if they've made any sales yet, but at least I know it's kinda working!

Well I must give Asif at GoldenCan the thumbs up! I have found him to be extremely professional in the dealings I've had with him since signing up. I've made quite a few suggestions to him, and he has implemented them almost immediately. I have no problem giving away 25% of my clicks considering that he is doing the work and all we have to do is place a single line of code on a page (for FREE I might add). Anyhow I'm willing to give it a go and see how it pans out. I do believe the whole thing is on the level as I've done quite a bit of testing and the clicks definitely track.

>>quite a few suggestions

what are that ?
    for example

For those interested in or testing GoldenCAN, I saw Asif added some new things earlier this week, including a Search Integration tool.

For those of you who don't have the space on your site for the full product listings, the Search Integration tool allows you to add a Product Search box to your site (with only one line of HTML code) that will bring back results from any number of merchants that you choose to include.

Grumpy, if this was one of your suggestions, good idea! Definitely should help those with space constraints.

A search function tied to actual merchant products sounds interesting. Most offered by the BHO syndicated PPCSE's just expose the affiliate keyword trickster filth to your shoppers.

yeah, after working with Asif for about a month now, I have been very impressed. His system is very clean, very efficient and seems to be gaining popularity quickly! More and more of my merchants are joining, so that's a good sign!

Kudos Asif

Quote Originally Posted by Sam 2005
    I don't think just by getting and old domain up is going to do any good. Does your old domain has any traffic? Remeber you have to have traffic to benefit form this program. Nothing comes free my friend.

Sam 2005

PS. I see this in their FAQs check it out

http://store.goldencan.com/faq.aspx#Q18

Sam,

I realize that. I've built over 100 affiliate sites and know it takes months for new sites to generate traffic sometimes. I usually am thinking six months ahead when I build sites. Goldencan site building is really just an experiment with a site I had not been able to build via my traditional means (because of frustration with a merchant datafeed). If it makes any money with GoldenCan, that will be 100% more than it would have the way I was going. I certainly would not build all my sites with GoldenCan, but building 1% of my sites with it is worth the chance to see how it does.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Oh, I see GoldenCan is now a member of ABW and reading this post. Welcome!!!
    7 Days A Week Marketing

i think GoldenCAN help build a page ,
    but not a site.

Unless a site means one page or a few pages

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast