Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Fastclick Joins Network Advertising Initiative to Support Fight against Spyware
    http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...26&newsLang=en

Let the PR battle rage on. I'd laugh hysterically except it really isn't funny.

Network Advertising Initiative (http://www.networkadvertising.org/default.asp) a group of network advertisers who have developed privacy principles in :cough: conjuction with the FTC. By golly they want to provide consumers with a clear explanation of Internet advertising practices and how they affect consumers. They have also developed an "Opt Out" system allow you to opt out of targeted advertising delivered by each and every NAI ad network.

NAI Ad Network Members:

Atlas DMT (Avenue A, iFrontier)
    AWS Convergence Technologies (aka WeatherBug)
    BehaviorLink (aka Claria aka Gator...their new Ad Network)
    DoubleClick
    FastClick
    Poindexter Systems
    Tacoda Systems
    TRUSTe
    24/7 Real Media

Associate Members (do not participate in the opt out part of NIA as they do participate in 'online preference marketing')

ValueClick
    WebSideStory

TRUSTe has been engaged to ensure NAI members comply with their own self-regulation. http://www.networkadvertising.org/en...thirdparty.asp

PDF of their self-regulatory principles http://www.networkadvertising.org/im...Principles.pdf
    Overview of said principles http://www.networkadvertising.org/ab...principles.asp

ABW Ambassador
    another one changing sides...good to hear..lets see when fastclick will purge their ad campaigns from its publishers

ABW Ambassador
    They haven't and they won't. They are making smoke about spyware so adware can continue as normal. This seperation is the battle now, any fight against spyware must incluide adware.

Chet

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Thank you Chet! That is EXACTLY correct.

It is also another example of those who are up in their eyeballs in this stuff joining together in their own best interests in the battle to protect their revenue. Why can't we seem to do that?

And no offense to KGP, but the PR bullroar spin and smoke IS being effective (whether we really want to believe it or not). After all it worked here on KGP and I wasn't trying to present the information as something good.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    My take is parallels Ms B's. The NAI is nothing more the putting a rubber over their best paying Adwhores and continue screwing the general public with Adware, info peddling and data mining the complete web consumer profiles to sell to willing buyers. The cleaned published collection is available to any IAB/DMA member as the elite of the theftware and direct marketing fronts put purfume on their pigs.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I am currently working on a major article that will show the ways the very companies above (Fastclick key among them) are supporting and assisting 180solutions (among others). Thousands of ads passing through these servers . Very troubling stuff.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bedelman
    I am currently working on a major article that will show the ways the very companies above (Fastclick key among them) are supporting and assisting 180solutions (among others). Thousands of ads passing through these servers . Very troubling stuff.
    Yikes! Get 'em Ben!

Like they made for telemarketing, we need a national do-not-call list - but a do-not-install list... consumer's opt into it and get assigned an account number (analogous to our telephone number). Fine each bastard that "calls" my computer trying to install or deliver ads.

Ben - make it happen!

Keep up the GREAT work!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Yikes! Get 'em Ben!

Like they made for telemarketing, we need a national do-not-call list - but a do-not-install list... consumer's opt into it and get assigned an account number (analogous to our telephone number). Fine each bastard that "calls" my computer trying to install or deliver ads.

Ben - make it happen!

Keep up the GREAT work!

A genius idea, Donuts!!

Putting my telephone number on the Do-Not-Call list has worked for me so far.

RadarCat
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Bet Ben's already working on it with the FTC...

Telemarketers became an intrusive nuisance - FTC created do-not-call.
    https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

Very analogous thing with adware etc.

Imagine you could register each PC with a similar type do-not-install website.
    Violators get fined.

Somehow, the FTC managed to classify telemarketers as such - and other groups are not subject to the restrictions of the do not call list.

Thoughts anyone?

Internet Cowboy
    I think it is a great idea. An app could be loaded from the "Do Not Install" web site that sends a message to potential adware/spyware programs that this computer is off limits. This might could be done with a cookie. My technical knowledge is not advanced enough to know the 'hows' of this.

Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread