Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Angry Account termination e-mail. Why?!
    Well, to begin with, we have been working with Linkshare (to be more exact Overstock) for more than a year. Everything was fine until yeasterday, when I decided to check statistics. I COULD NOT log in. I sent e-mail to Linkshare and today got a message:

----------Your affiliate account in the LinkShare Network has been terminated pursuant to the terms of LinkShare's Terms and Conditions. Access to your account has been suspended, and all
    LinkShare links on your site will no longer function effective immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us at invalid@linkshare.com.

--------

No stating of reasons, NOTHING... + of course unpaid checks.
    Overstock managers can confirm this.

What should be done? Is there any chance to unlock the account?

P.S. Re-registration process was completed long ago, before the final notice, perhaps they mixed up something

Until you ask Linkshare, not much chance in knowing the reason behind this.

(1) Write to them at the email provided and see if you get a response.

(2) If you've mainly been promoting Overstock, contact the AM there and see if they can shed some light on why your account might have been terminated.

I have send the e-mails just now both to Overstock and Linkshare, promise to post their comments.

But as I see there are a lot of problems currently at Linkshare with the re-registration process (look at the number of posts there), and as I see LS don't like its overseas partners (I am not from the USA)

possibly Overstock have terminated you for force-clicking? apparently this has no connection to "verification".

heisje

I received the same letter and my account was terminated too.

yeah I got the same damn thing too.

Me too! Seem that something wrong with LS. I sent email using contact us because the link provided by them didnít work. No force click or the like, I even very rare check my own links. I have been building hundreds thousand pages with notepad and WordPad, the only tools I know.
    IRS
    Don't ask why the ball doesn't come.

Well, that definitely proves that something is wrong with their system and re-registration/re-integration process.

BTW, the manager of Home Improvement department at Overstock I work with is also suprised, he promised to clarify what's going on.

Have you re-registered during May or much earlier? (I did this almost the same day, as saw the re-registration button).

have re-registered without other problems except that the system registered the name of our main web site also as the "pay to" recipient. otherwise fine (!) . . .

heisje

Quote Originally Posted by Serglu
    Well, that definitely proves that something is wrong with their system and re-registration/re-integration process.

BTW, the manager of Home Improvement department at Overstock I work with is also suprised, he promised to clarify what's going on.

Have you re-registered during May or much earlier? (I did this almost the same day, as saw the re-registration button).

Did you mean new verification? I begin this process but not finished. May be this is reason of account termination?

To tell the trurth I don't know which verification they mean, but according to the newsletter sent on May 11, it says:

To register your account now, login to your affiliate account and go to the "Legal Entity Registration" link in the "Your Account Tab." If you do not see the "Legal Entity Registration" link in your account you have already registered the account through the new process and no action is necessary.

I didn't have this link (it was long ago, and I passed the process). So perhaps THAT links/systems were wrong and now they require something else... Any more thoughts?

The first newsletter about this was on March 1st, and I re-registered at that time... If something was wrong, they had almost 2 month to contact me... great company..

Oh good grief. Now their screwed up system is kicking people out of the program for no reason? How much longer is this nightmare going to continue?

ABW Ambassador
    How can a company think torturing its long standing members who have been with them, and making them money for years is a good idea?

Why didn't linkshare test this on affiliates who signed up in the last year? After cutting checks to some of us for years, they are now not only going to question our validity, but make it so we don't get paid, or in some cases, closed down?

I want the CTO job at linkshare. I am guessing, it is one of the few corporate jobs that promotes drinking on the job, because I don't see how a sober person designed this process.

Chet

Anyone got any response from LinkShare? I have received only response from Overstock, they don't know what happens, asking about re-registration or send mail to LinkShare. And promise to look from their side!

I've sent an email to the Sr. Account Manager. Will let you know what they have to say soon.

The same with me. No response from LinkShare. As for Overstock - they promised to call LS to find out the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssmaster
    Anyone got any response from LinkShare? I have received only response from Overstock, they don't know what happens, asking about re-registration or send mail to LinkShare. And promise to look from their side!

Quote Originally Posted by Serglu
    The same with me. No response from LinkShare. As for Overstock - they promised to call LS to find out the problem.

I got new response from Overstock:

I apologize for the confusion on all of this. Hopefully this will
    clarify the matter a bit. With Linkshare reverifying all of their
    accounts there has emerged some parameters that affect a number of our
    affiliates. In order to validate an account an affiliate has to meet the
    following qualifications:

1. Billing address has to match their Tax ID

2. Billing address or country or incorporation cannot be on the OFAC
    (Office of Foreign Assets Control, which is part of the US Treasury
    Department)) list:
    Indonesia
    Malaysia
    Ukraine
    Lithuania
    Belarus
    Macedonia
    Iran
    Zimbabwe
    Liberia
    Syria
    Cuba
    Myanmar

3. url cannot be entity name unless it truly is their legal name.

4. Personal account (not Inc. or llp, ect) must have SS# as their tax ID
    and the legal entity is their name.

Any one of these criteria that cannot be met will not allow you to
    validate your account and thereby will not allow Overstock to continue a
    relationship with the affiliate. Our records indicate you are in the
    Ukraine, and in this case a federal mandate is eliminating you from our
    program. This is definitely news to me and I apologize that the business
    relationship has to be terminated. You may want to look at some
    information on the OFAC at
    http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/. Let me know if I can try
    and offer further explanation, but this is really all I know at this
    point.

Thanks very much,

......... Well, what can I say after all this?

It appears I live in "targeted foreign countries, terrorists, international narcotics traffickers, and those engaged in activities related to the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction".... WOW! And especially after all these talks about USA and Ukraine friends forever...

BTW, nice list, and where is Afganistan? Iraq? Well, dozens of other countries?

And what have I to say to my partner in Russia? What we have lost 2 month of work? Why not change the address, BUT BAN AND KEEP ALL MONEY?

And the main thing - SHOW me the DIRECT LINK to the newest list of countries banned. As far as I know Ukraine is no longer in such lists, but a lot of companies still ban its citizens. All infromation on the website is about 2 years old..

Serglu, I think you're right, I just don't see Ukraine as listed individually on the OFAC sanction country list, which from http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforce...fac/sanctions/ is as follows:

Balkans
    Burma (Myanmar)
    Cuba
    Diamond Trading
    Iran
    Iraq
    Liberia
    Libya
    Narcotics
    Non-Proliferation
    North Korea
    Sudan
    Syria
    Terrorists
    Zimbabwe

I am from Malaysia myself, and had been generating a steady monthly commission with/for LinkShare since 2000, but still been subject to the same account termination with no explanation given whatsoever. I'm not sure if the OFAC sanction list used by LinkShare is very accurate or at least up-to-date (can someone point me to the url on LinkShare for their version of the OFAC list?), but I don't think they care in any case, because they have enough problems even with verifying US-based affiliates as it is, there is just no way they can go about validating foreign affiliates fairly and accurately.

And for many of us foreign affiliates, even if we could pass the OFAC list, we would still fail on the SS# prerequisite (just wondering how is it possible for non-US-based individuals to be expected to have a social security number?) or any number of validation paremeters. And to rub it in, any of the so-called OFAC-listed countries can still be found on their new affiliate sign-up country list, isn't this entrapment?

So I say this to you, LinkShare, just keep the money that is due me, because that's the last bit you will ever get from me.

Good riddance to bad rubbish!

BTW, a big thumbs up to Overstock for at least taking the time and effort to enlighten us on the matter, I doubt LinkShare would ever have bothered doing the same.

VAN.

Affiliate Manager
    I have been on the phone with LS all week and trust me, they are dealing with the problem as quickly as possible. I have been on the phone with them numerous times over the last few days trying to figure out what is up. We received the answer above yesterday, and now time for clarification on the message. Here is the email I received from our account manager today.

--------------------
    As discussed, there are two separate issues going on here. 1) OFAC Screen /Affiliate Validation and 2) the LinkShare Country Block list initiated for fraudulent activity. Those affiliates removed for appearing on the block list can appeal their termination writing to invalid@linkshare.com.
    --------------------
    To clarify:
    1) From what I understand the OFAC screen does not have anything to do with the country of origin but rather a series of checks run by the govt. to ensure the individual is not involved in terrorist activities.
    2) The Country block listed above is imposed by LS and is ultimately their decision.

If you have questions, please email LS or me. I will be happy to pass on problems or answer questions to the best of my ability. I can be reached at 866.211.0734 or via email at CStephens@Overstock.com. I might not always have the answer, but I will do my best to find out and get back to you. For general info, I will start posting here and in the Overstock forum.

Hope this helps,

Clark Stephens
    Affiliate Program Manager
    Overstock.com

Lesson learned.

Dont stick with the 2nd or 3rd best..stick with the best affiliate network in the industry, the one that first introduced consolidated payment.

It is the presumption of wrong-doing that is simply not acceptable in this age of political correctness. And a shoot-first-ask-question-later policy is not worthy of a corporation that prides themselves as industry pioneers.

So I am automatically labeled a fraud, my account is terminated and earnings confiscated simply because I am a citizen of some country that some suit deems to be unsavory? So my previous 5 years of perfectly clean and productive track record count absolutely for nothing? And just where is it written on their Terms & Conditions that they retain the right to unilaterally and pre-emptively terminate accounts for the sole reason that the affiliate is residing in certain countries?

Just tell me, who is the real fraud here?

Anyway, thanks for the clarification, Clark, I appreciate your help and I hope you understand my beef is not with you.

But I really don't need the aggravation, and I certainly don't need the abject discrimination. If they don't appreciate my business, I'll just take it somewhere else.

VAN.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Just tell me, who is the real fraud here?
    I don't call LS a "den of deadbeats and thieves" for nothing! Who needs parasites when you can lose your money to the network itself?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Woa that's viscious. Seems like Home Land Security and associated buddy groups are well on the way to becoming the worlds most xenophobic organization.... heck at least I can get Money from the USA...just can't get in....

Won't belong before even Americans can't leave the US without giving a good reason to the HLS...

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by Chris - AMWSO; May 20th, 2005 at 02:20 AM.
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast