just got broad band woo....whooo
    just thought i would let you all know..
    my telephone guy has just given me broad band...
    things are very fassssssssst now...
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

l@rger_th@n_life
    welcome to teh 21st century. HEHEHEH

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Cool
    Isn't it wonderful?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Cool, Even I'm going to get my broadband connection today....

(actually already running on a 512 kbps cable, but will be connected via a leased line today - which will give me 256 kbps of raw bandwidth - that means actual 256 kbps download speed, as good as a 1 or 1.5 MBPS shared cable connection, this will be a lot more secure since it will be protected by a firewall router and it will be dedicated to my office only - was fed up of all the viruses that would infect windows PCs on the network comming from other users using the same ISPs cable internet. But "T1 connection" is costly - paying a huge 400$s per month, yet it is considered to be one of the more cost effective ways of geting a dedicated secure connection in the bandwidth-costly third world country that I live in.)
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

my DSL connection gives me about a 180K download, which is about what I expect from it. costs me about $30 per month. isn't that functionally close to the leased line for the money? of course, I live a city block from the phone co. building.

you're doing fine with DSL as long as they don't have you on DNS servers that get overloaded when the schools are out. I'm lucky I can use a private DNS server that is part of a project overseen by a family member.

and yes, I use an old D-Link router for in-house DHCP and also because it is a fine first firewall.

I remember moving from a 45k dial-up connection to a 2.5mb broadband. IT was awesome! Hook up a wireless router now and enjoy a laptop from anywhere you want to. It's great!

Internet Cowboy
    When I hear people talk about getting broadband I am reminded that everyone doesn't have it. Funny how we take things for granted after time. It is awesome.

Neil, congrats on upgrading your connection speed.

Just a side note .... when adding content to your site .... test your Web site download time using dial up speed rate as the primary focus. Many people forget that there are more people using dialup connection versus DSL or Broad Band users combined together. (hard to believe in this day & age .. but very true)

A page that is fast loading page on DSL or Broad Band connection can be an eternity for dial up users to download. I have seen many Webmasters loose focus on this major issue because the page loads fast on their checking the page load time on their DSL or BB connection.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

There's no cable or DSL available where I live. I have two different wireless broadband providers and a Dual WAN router. Both of them are about about 750 Kbps - 1.2 Mbps and cost around $40 per month each, but they are both somewhat unreliable (thus the need for two of them and a Dual WAN router). I've considered getting a T1, but they're about $700 per month here. I had ISDN before the wireless broadband providers came along, but it was relatively slow (128 kbps) and expensive ($100 per month).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Heyder,

Yep - broadband over Airport rocks! (what windows people call WLAN or WiFi) I use an Apple Airport express with the powerbook, and stream my broadband, music (from itunes) and Printing - Wirelessly - it's awesome!

BTW, didn't get my T1 connected yet .. They need to complete some formalities with the telephone company, some documents that need to be signed - signed them today, will have to wait another whole day to get connected :'(
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

its funny you should all say that...
    guess what... i just went and bought a wan router...
    but i cant get the fu888zzing thing to work...
    To much config tech for me........
    and i was about to open an internet cafe in my back office
    computer guy will have to visit tomorrow..

UPDATE;; just had a good idea....
    have sent one of the pretty girls from the office across
    the road to the internet cafe,,, roll your eyes... and ask the guy to come and help you

i will tell you if it works,,, a.s.a.p
    Shareasale Merchant 7191

it never worked...
    the tech guy was not in the shop...
    Shareasale Merchant 7191

Comcast, Comcast, Comcast. It costs a lot (46.00/ month) but at 4.0 megs a sec. It Rocks. I use to download programs over night at 56k. Now it takes just seconds. My music downloads are so fast that I can download 4-5 songs at a time.

Anyone who is still on 56k get on broadband today. It'll save you so much time that it'll pay for itself the first two months.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

No going back now ... you will never go back.. its too good

Animal Lover
    Whilst we're on the subject of broadband, I need opinions as to whether you see any difference between DSL and Cable. I am currently on Cable and I really only have 1 company to choose from but they are stuffing me up majorly with DNS problems. I am contemplating going to DSL - which I can take my pick from more providers but everyone I've spoken to tells me that it's a backward step because it's 'slower' but given the fact that it's got a lot more players in it, service is better - the cable company is basically a monopoly and well, service is bad and downright frustrating. Any advice?

Oscar

Cool
    @Oscar:

theoretically DSL doesn't get slowdowns from everyone on the block using it at the same time. not sure about that, though.

from what I've seen here in Central NY State, the Time-Warner (cable) service just outside of Syracuse rocks.

my own experience with DSL a little south of there was that Verizon's DNS servers could slow to a crawl from overload from 3-8 PM which forced me to make use of a "private" DNS server. the level1 and 2 support folks say everything is fine and I don't know anything (I've earned the MCSE cert.) so some day I'll run some special software to get my proof and we'll have at it again.

just in passing: Verizon's DSL service here also gives you some Web space with no restriction as to commercial use. so far.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Used to be DSL was better because you do not share the connection with all your neighbors. But cable has come along way. I was in DSL 6 years ago in georgia. Great speeds, 1.5 megs up, I forget what down. Then I moved to Herbs neck of the woods and started using Time Warner. I like cable and depending on where you live, speeds can vary. I pay for enhanced service now and getting 3 megs up and 380k download speeds. Regular service is pretty fast as well but I don't think DSL can reach speeds higher than 1 meg and usually closer to 768k but last time I checked Verizon had a tiered pricing plan and you can pay to open up your speeds (I think?). And for DSL it does not matter who the provider is, they are all running on the same phone lines owned by the primary phone company and depending how far you are from the closest station or whatever they call it and your home phone wire quality, will affect your speeds. Customer service would be what you are paying for

Animal Lover
    Thank you for your input. I will look into it further.

Oscar

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread