Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with gardening merchants (plants, sundials, tools etc). If so, is there one in particular that you would recommend?
    I noticed that a couple of the ones on CJ have 30 to 50% reversal rates :eek:
    directgardening.com has a 0.0% reversal [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] but pays a flat $3.00 per sale. When someone buys there stock of plants for the spring, I would think that that could easily go into the $200 range or more, which would make a flat $3.00 a pretty low commission rate. What do you think?

WB,

Leader is the one to answer this one, but ... As a Consumer ...

I love J&P
    http://alogin.linksynergy.com/php-bi...html?oid=32474

and

Gardener's Supply
    http://alogin.linksynergy.com/php-bi...bid=&oid=12137

Haiko

Stay away from Outdoor Decor at cj. I never got them to convert, and my mentor Leader agreed.

I have had some sales with Krupps.com, and think that I could really do even more with them if I put up some more targetted niche pages. Don't like their site as much as OD, but folks buy.

And I market some garden stuff from Amazon.com.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    First of all, $3.00/sale on gardening products=[b]BWAA HAA HAAAAA![b] Hit "X"!

Don't touch that compost of a program! Gardening transactions have a typical COMMISSION range of $5-$20 in season!!!

As for programs to use, I usually would not say, but Bloomingbulb is the one. That's where I got that commission range from. People go nuts on that stuff. All those cheapie little bulbs add up..."gotta have this one...oh, that's pretty too, so is this--wow, so's that, that's beautiful...I just can't decide!" CHA-CHING!!!

I don't know about J&P, but Gardener's Supply didn't admit to any conversions in a year of running them and hardly any clicks either!!! A big to them!

And I wouldn't spend 10c advertising J&P either--you can buy their roses in any GOOD garden center. And rose people that know enough about roses to care that they're from Jackson & Perkins (J&P) are also going to be more prone to want to see them--before they fork up the cash. They obviously get some catalog sales (or they wouldn't bother printing that paper catalog), but there's a LOT of offline competition for those roses. There's easier roads than that... (Note: They do have good roses. But the point here is how well you can SELL the stuff!)

As for the non-alive stuff, it's a dud, from Outdoor Decor to Crapalog City. That could be what was wrong with Gardener's Supply.

I think Bloomingbulb because dormant bulbs have approximately zero garden-center appeal, plus the ones in the garden centers have usually been pretty beat up anyway so the chance of getting better ones from the Net or through the mail is pretty good.

Another one who I've noticed a decent EPC on is WindowBoxes.com.

Remember that gardening is seasonal so ALL of the garden sites' EPCs probably suck right now! (I just looked--Bloomingbulb's 7-day EPC is 96c! But what would you expect while the GROUND is FROZEN!)

Basically gardening places sit around on the site a LOT and then there's a Big Boom when the stuff's in season. This super-spikiness is normal according to the gardening trade magazines--physical stores get it too--but if you're not used to that it can be rather jarring when the sales slow down like they just hit a Construction Zone in the off-seasons, and then speed up like they went onto the Audobahn when the right season starts!

I am assuming that you have REAL Revenue Pages to promote this on...Bloomingbulb can get a few flukes off of gardening content pages, but nothing compared to a real promotion.

BTW Haiko, you can get almost everything available at Gardener's Supply, somewhere else cheaper (exact same product!) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Which other place depends on the particular product, but for 99% of their stuff, there IS a place!

Thanks for all the valuable advice. I am in the process of developing a gardening site and figured that the best time to do it would be now (get search engine listed before the ground thaws!) and use the Spring time money I make to take a great summer vacation. How's that for confidence? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Thanks again!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    LOL, that depends on what you consider a "great" summer vacation!

How about a six pack and a bag of Doritos by the pool? Dream big! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread