Goodbye LinkShare, Goodbye Linkshare Merchants
    Daily trip to my PO box still come up dry for a LS consolidated check and I still am unverified (after being verified early last week). My emails and PM's to Mr. Messer, Gloria (Noxid), and the LS support staff asking a simple question, "When did my check get mailed?", with a deadline of 5pm yesterday to answer has gone unanswered. As stated in that email and PM's I sent, will proceed dropping all my LS merchants. In addition I will cc: each of my merchants a copy of the letter I'm sending the NY BBB asking that they step in to help me resolve getting the check I have been waiting four weeks for.

In retrospect, I realized that my threat to drop my LS merchants probably came as a pleasant surprise for Mr. Messer as he thinks he will finally be rid of my critical comments here about the shoddy way he has run his company. Sorry, Mr. Messer, I'm not going to give you that pleasure. Two LS merchant affiliate managers have spent many hours helping me achieve sales over the years and I'm going to keep them on board. I won't join any other programs and you can be assured I will be here daily riding you about the many problems that I encounter with those two merchants I keep.

Sadly, I am will not be able to take any of these actions right now as my dad is in critical condition in ICU and not expected to make it.

And this brings me to an important issue. It is a real shame that we affiliates have had to take time away from our own business, take time out of our personal life, to do battle with a big company just to simply get paid for money owed us four weeks ago. And to take the time and effort to deal with them, only to be ignored...well, sorry, I don't have time for that. Life is just too short.

p.s. I want to thank the merchants who have been trying to work with me over the last several weeks to resolve this issue and have called or emailed me. I know you are equally frustrated by all this. I apologize to many of you that I will dropping your programs, but I cannot put this many eggs in this crumbling basket of a Network. Other networks have proven to be much more reliable over the years and I need to invest my time and efforts there to protect my future business interests and income.
    Last edited by Ron Bechdolt; May 18th, 2005 at 02:37 PM.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I am so sorry to learn about your father and the heavy burden you must bear at this time. I hope predictions of his immanent demise are untrue. But, may you find comfort in the arms of your deities or such as you may worship no matter what challenges life brings to you.

And, you are right. It is outrageous that you have to take time from those precious moments with your family to deal with this non-sense, right now.

Bugg'r 'em all for that!!!!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Ron,

Through no fault of our own, we were all placed in the same agonizing postition as you... we were all forced to make the same decisions.

Removing a merchant is one thing... dropping a network is... huge

Stall 'till Monday Ron

Drop a few linkshare merchants and vent - it feels good

then... stall 'till Monday

and sorry to hear about dad

I know EXACTLY what a parent in ICU looks like. Wish i could erase those mental images

Billy

Ron I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, I hope his situation improves. If there is anything I can do to help in any way please let me know.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

ron, take courage at this difficult moment . . .

best,
    heisje

I should clarify that when I started writing the content for this post in the wee hours of the morning on my laptop in the ICU waiting room, my intent was to leave LinkShare completely. But as I had all this time to think about the couple of affiliate managers who have really worked their butts off to help me over the years, I did not think it fair to them...heck, they are being punished for all this just as we are.

I should have changed the heading to Goodbye Linkshare Merchants, but what I really wanted to do deep inside was drop LS so Mr. Messer would not ever make any more money off of me. He has been deeply wrong in holding checks for four weeks and with his communication to us...I really just wanted to pack up and leave.

Thanks all for your thoughts...time to head back off to visit my dad.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Ron you should invite the 2 very helpful merchant AM's come forth and tell us why they value keeping their legit affiliates. The glue still holding here, various pro-affiliate merchants, sure would be helped by their coming forward and let us know LS, and they, are seeking a quick resolve to the Athena project shortfalls. I'm not a big affiliate in any program and I'm frustrated, like all you, that black hat affiliates plunged our earning potentials down the cookie toilet. Like all in the same position, I'm screaming for payment and validation. I just like the idea the good LS merchants will perform better without the cookie tricksters when filtered out by Athena getting her act together.

Look at the firestorm Linkshare is trying to protect against....

"FTC Settles With Two Web Malls .... http://directmag.com/news/ftc-web-mall-051305/

May 12, 2005 6:48 PM Operators of two online malls have settled Federal Trade Commission charges that they were actually illegal pyramid schemes.

Seven individuals and four businesses will be barred from making false or misleading statements about earnings or income and engaging in illegal pyramid operations. Four also will be barred from participating in any multilevel marketing businesses. The defendants are subject to suspended judgments totaling $12 million.

In July 2003, the FTC filed a complaint charging that Tucson, AZ-based NexGen3000.com and its principals marketed Internet malls they claimed would enable investors to earn substantial income and commissions on products bought online. The malls contained a collection of links to sites maintained by merchants.

The defendants allegedly advertised their business opportunity through the NexGen Web site, live presentations and telemarketing calls, and maintained a network of affiliates to help promote and sell the malls. Consumers paid a registration fee to join the program, and most also purchased a "WebSuite" including the Internet mall and related goods and services. A "Basic WebSuite" cost $185, including the registration fee, and a "Power Pack WebSuite" cost $555. NexGen allegedly claimed that "each activated business center has the potential to earn up to $60,000 per week."

The FTC alleged that the defendants deceptively represented that consumers who participated would earn substantial income, when in fact most investors lost money. The complaint also states that the defendants provided deceptive marketing material to affiliates.

The defendants, NexGen3000.com, Inc.; Globion, Inc.; Robert J. Charette, Jr.; David A. Charette; Stephen M. Diamond; Christine Wasser; Infinity2, Inc.; and Edward G. Hoyt are permanently barred from participating in any pyramid plan, and all but Hoyt and Infinity2 are barred from participating in any multi-level marketing businesses in the future. The settlements include suspended judgments in the amount of $1,651,034 against David Charette and Stephen Diamond. If financial documents provided by defendants David Charette and Stephen Diamond to the Commission are found by the court to contain material misrepresentations or omissions, the entire amount of the suspended judgment would be immediately due........."
    http://directmag.com/news/ftc-web-mall-051305/

Combine this with Spitzer's attack on Adware/Spyware, and the US and State congressional Spyware laws, and you see Linkshare has to choice but to weed out the bad actors. They just weren't very good at it before they were pushed to shove Athena upon us all. Right now some babies are being thrown-out with the bath water. That discarding of babies is not in Linkshare's best long term interest so my bet is they'll actually manually work to clear up the mess ASAP.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Dropping a network was an easy choice. I made the choice to rid myself of Linkshare months ago, and although there are some merchants I wanted to continue to work with and some I wanted to begin to work with, I still feel no great loss. I even had to lose some that moved from Indie to LS. Horrible decisions.

And after everything that's happened the last couple of months, the decision would have been THAT much easier had I still been with LS.

My life and business continue and I've found plenty of merchants and programs to fill the void of what I lost from dumping LinkShare. If more affiliates decided enough was enough and just started dropping LinkShare then they and the merchants who haven't already done so would really start to get a clue and not just continue to drag out a bullshit situation.

Too bad we can't get many merchants to start to drop them. Would be a good opportunity for SAS to get the "big names" they're missing, and while it'd be a mess for a little while I'm sure there's enough affiliates to pick up the pieces once the move was made. I'd do what I could to support and promote them even I had to create a new area to promote them in.

And I'm sorry to hear about your dad Ron. Hang in there.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Ron,...Sorry about your Dad.
    It is hard, but I say just forget about checking your LS account for a week and hopefully (who knows) things might be resolved by then. I know..it is easier said than done.

marcelle

Sorry to hear about your dad. May you be blessed with strength physically, emotionally, and spiritually at this difficult time.

On a more happy note, I DID IT! I hit the "Delete my account" button.

My new motto:
    LS -- Just say "delete".

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Ron, sorry to hear about your dad. My thoughts and p rayers are with you.

I DID IT! I hit the "Delete my account" button.~Webmarm
    Congratulations!! Isn't it wonderful? Now you can read about their screwups...without reaching for the DiGel! Reach for the instead and watch the continuing LS implosion.
    Last edited by Leader; May 19th, 2005 at 07:49 AM.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Animal Lover
    Sorry to hear about your dad Ron. Hang in there. Prayers going your way.

Oscar

Thanks all. My dad has surprised even his doctors by making it until today already, but the prognosis is still grim in the long run. Poor guys reserves are just gone and he is fighting three different infections, the lastest being pneumonia. One more infection or setback and I'm afraid that will be it.

Thanks all for your prayers and thoughts (and all the PM's).
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Sorry to hear about your Dad Ron. Prayers are with you.

Leeanne

I have nothing but good things to say about Linkshare. My payments (however not all on time) have ALWAYS came and thier email newsletters are excellant. Now we have consilidated Payments, which makes it even better.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Ron,

I am sorry to hear about your father. My best wishes to you and your family.

Stephen

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    netnow...

You're correct.

I'll level with you. I love Linkshare too.

The reason I, Ron, Haiko, Zeuss and about 100 other people post these negative threads is...

don't tell anyone...

Todd pays us a buck for each negative remark.

None of us figured out how to make money doing the affiliate thing - we're total failures at online marketing, so we rely soley on Todd's bucks to pay our bills.

NOT!

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    I have nothing but good things to say about Linkshare. My payments (however not all on time) have ALWAYS came and thier email newsletters are excellant. Now we have consilidated Payments, which makes it even better.
    Steve, if you're going to log on and pretend to be someone else, at least don't post as yourself a few minutes later!

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread