A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Question What clickthrough conversion is good?
    What I mean is, in everyone's opinion, at what percentage are your clickthrough to conversions considered low, average, above average, and high? I am having a hard time figuring this out. For example, on one network, one of my sites since January 1 has had 7,167 clickthroughs, which only turned 434 sales (although many sales are multiple items, but that's besides the point here). So my percentage rate is 1.73%. To me this is very low, but I have seen other similar stats mentioned on here favorably, so I want to get a very clear picture of what I should look for - what I should pat myself on the back for - and what I should kick my self in the arse over.

I'm hoping some of you experienced veterans will offer me the benefit of your expertise.

Thank you all for your help!
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

I don't think it's possible to have a meaningful rate that generalizes across the board. Too many variables are involved to say that X% conversion rate is good or bad. A simple example:

1 conversion = $20 profit

targeted traffic costs $1 per click and yields a 5% conversion rate; spend $100, make 5 sales & $100 income

non targeted traffic costs $0.05 per click and yields a 1% conversion rate; spend $100, make 20 sales & $400 income

So a 1% conversion rate seems pretty good and a 5% conersion rate stinks? I think the bottom line is that you gotta be comfortable with the ROI that you get and then the conversion rate doesn't really matter.

Ross

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I have one merchant who has averaged 1 sale for every 20 clicks on just general SE traffic for over 5 years straight. All their affiliate traffic does better. Their Amazon store averages 1 sale per 9 product views. Due to forced click fraud Overture averages 1 sale per 36 click. Google Adwords runs 1/19. This would be considered by all as a high conversion ratio.

Basically a merchant isn't ready for an affiliate program till their site converts at a steady 1/150 click basis. Many merchants come to ABW to recruit active affiliates knowing they can do 1/100 on showcase targeted links and physical clicks. Many more come to ABW, or don't come to ABW knowing they can't average 1 sale per 500 clicks (or worse) due to shady BHO partnerships, cookie washing e-mail campaigns, diversion tricks and faulty sporatic network sales reporting.

I'd never consider taking on a AM job for a merchant client who could average 1 sale per 150 clicks from general traffic. Crappy converting merchants seeking higher conversion ratios turn to couponers and BHO incenters as they know a normal non-incentive affiliate is dead in the water for earning any real money.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for asking this Lisa, I'm just going through trying to analyze and see if the way I do sites is worth the amount of effort and a fair investment of time, or whether there should be changes and do them differently.

I kind of look at it as a two step process. How many impressions = how many clicks? That's one figure I'd like to know what's good, back or middlin' for on my end.

Then for so many clicks, how many sales? I think that might have been answered, though I've also heard that 1 sale for 100 clickthroughs is OK but I'm still not clear.

But how about even without sales, since some things/products/price ranges would convert differently. Wouldn't percentage of clicks for impressions tell something about the effectivenes of the site, whether a page was ok or needed improvement? And then clicks to sales tell more about the product line or the particular merchant?

What is considered a decent impression to click percentage?
    What's considered a decent click to sales percentage?

It really depends. Some people are happy with a 1% conversion ratio. I have some merchants for which I get over a 30% conversion ratio. That's from extremely targeted traffic and a very good value proposition for the buyer.

Some would say that a conversion ratio under 1% is not acceptable. That's not necessarily true. High ticket items don't convert as well. Back in December, Overstock.com was selling Franck Muller watches. They were paying a $200 bonus for each watch sold, plus a commission that averaged about $400. (These were really expensive watches!) If you could get a 0.2% conversion ratio with these, that's still over $1 per click. (BTW, I had better than a 1% conversion ratio with these!)

Across all of my merchants, I average about a 5% conversion ratio. As I said before, some are 30% or better. Some are well below 1%.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread