Users Downloading Less Adware
    Just a drop or the beginning of the end? Adweek reports less scumware, err I mean adware on users PCs in Q1 2005 compared to Q4 2004. They say this is partly due to consumer awareness. Read the article here:

http://www.adweek.com/aw/iq_interact..._id=1000922032
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    That's where this is going to be won. I know i might sound like a broken record sometimes but clean computers is where to hit this. Most people could care less about our problems so you hit this where they do care. They don't like pop up ads/adware and getting their computers clean fixes their problem, fixes our problem. Adware doesn't affect your income if people coming to your site are coming with clean computers.

I agree, haven't met one person yet who liked it or was even indifferent to it-seems they all hate it. Even more encouraging news:

"Senators push for anti-spyware law"
    http://news.com.com/Senators+push+fo...l?tag=nefd.top

Makes me wonder why when likes of these apps have such a bad reputation that some networks still permit them to be affiliates. I know they make money but maybe they should consider the whole picture and see what it's doing to their reputation.

I'm waiting for Mike to come here and post about "adwhores"
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Comparing Q1 2004 with Q1 2005 would be much more meaningful stats to me. Comparing Q4 (holiday season) with Q1 is kind like comparing apples and oranges.

The fact that they target kids just shows how scummy they are:

Symantec study: Adware heavily targeting kids
    Advertising has long targeted easy-to-influence wee ones. Now internet adware is doing the same. Symantec recently tested PCs fresh out of the box by browsing the internet without altering any of the preset settings. After, the company ran spyware-finding software on the PCs and found that sites aimed at kids attracted 359 pieces of adware; travel sites were second with just 64. So, is it ethical to provoke kids to unknowingly download the type of adware their parents may have avoided? Ethical or not, it’s certainly effective. Kids may not be as aware as their adult counterparts when spyware gets loaded, explaining why adult-oriented sites aren't as adware heavy. The study found that shopping sites are the “cleanest” category of sites in terms of adware. ... Source
    Once again, I agree with Trust. The way to get rid of the parasites is through educating the public on how to clean their computers, and keep them clean. It's a cause that everybody can get behind because nobody wants this stuff on their computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    The fact that they target kids just shows how scummy they are:

Once again, I agree with Trust. The way to get rid of the parasites is through educating the public on how to clean their computers, and keep them clean.
    Ya, eventually the replacement cycle will take care of the old pc's with the adware and replace them with clean new ones. Unless Dell, et al, start bundling adware.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread