This may already have been discussed somewhere else, but...

Why doesn't a couple of programmers get together and create a plugin that "disabled" parasitic activity on the browser?

For example, the plugin can detect when topmoxi is present and disable it. Or it can stop WhenU from launching pop-ups.

Then affiliates can offer this download to their web visitors as well?

FYI, this is a personal question and not related to my duties at GigaGolf. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Mark Wolinski
    Affiliate Relations
    GigaGolf, Inc.
    800-724-3085

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    head on over to Programmers Board ASP, this is something we're looking at as a web page based script or server side component. All inpout and collaboration welcome

Cheers

Chris

Chris Sanderson
    Mondera.com Partner Management
    90 Return Days : 100% Parasite Free : Fast Support : Commission on ALL Sales.

Visit the Mondera Partner Support Zone : Click Here

ABW Ambassador
    Not sure eBates customers who have chosen to install these thieving programs would want to download a plug-in that stopped them making money. That is why they downloaded eBates in the first place isn't it?

Any answer would have to be a web page script.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

an interesting approach but I am not convinced you could get people to install it. However, there are things like cookie munchers and anonymizers avaiable. The problem is you will have affiliate marketers losing their fees still.

Yeah I don't think a plugin would work as alot of the consumers/online users don't understand what Whenu, ebates, etc are doing. We need to find a script in cgi,javascript,asp,etc that can prevent popups from parasites, Has anyone found anything yet? I'm still looking for one.

Jason

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

quote:
    Originally posted by jasonco12:
    Yeah I don't think a plugin would work as alot of the consumers/online users don't understand what Whenu, ebates, etc are doing. We need to find a script in cgi,javascript,asp,etc that can prevent popups from parasites, Has anyone found anything yet? I'm still looking for one.

If Top Moxie works like I believe it does, you're not going to find a server side solution to the problem.

The issue is that TopMoxie watches the URL (or header) of the websites that IE visits, when it see's one with a different siteID, it tells the browser to redirect to a preset URL, which is why eBates redirects product links to the sites homepage.

Even if someone does find a magical JavaScript that prevents that type of refresh, the applications can probably watch outlinks from pages and correct them before they're even transmitted to LinkShare. Think about that one parasite which puts links on your page (defeated by the css tag). How hard would it be for a plug-in to rewrite all the links on the page on the browser side?

Which is why I think a plug-in, and consumer education, are the most viable ways to defeat parasites.

Remember, the goal of the plug-in is only to stop parasitic activity, not to replicate it for other websites. I can see it being configurable, so if someone does want to use MMM, they have the option of stopping the plugin from affecting MMMs operation.

If the plug-in is developed, it should be made freely available to affiliates to offer it to their visitors. I think that method of distribution would get the plug-in out there quickly. Heck, if the plug-in is designed to identify itself, websites could use simple Javascript to determine if they should offer the plugin to their users or not.

To win a war, you sometimes have to fight on the enemy's ground.

Mark Wolinski
    Affiliate Relations
    GigaGolf, Inc.
    800-724-3085

ABW Ambassador
    What about simple detection? Is there a way we can detect if a user is using ebates for example? And then allow me to pop up my own little window?

For example, I might be really agressive and pop up a "STOP THIEF" msg and then tell the visitor that their software just stole a commission from me?

Or perhaps a bit more agressive, "You are under arrest for aiding an abetting a know thief." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Okay, maybe a little lighter, "Did you know that there is software on your computer that is being used to divert food money from single moms with 6 kids and who work at home to feed these kids by making sites which earn her money to pay the rent?"

Whatever the msg, if there just a way to detect an ebates user and then let me pop up or redirect to another page?

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

quote:
    The issue is that TopMoxie watches the URL (or header) of the websites that IE visits, when it see's one with a different siteID, it tells the browser to redirect to a preset URL, which is why eBates redirects product links to the sites homepage.

Just another reason merchants should drop ebates. This redirect is costing them sales. When someone clicks on a link expecting a product and gets the home page, a lot of the times they'll give up and just go somewhere else. They're not going to take the time to search the site. They'll just think the product isn't there. My site is mostly product links. If Top Moxie is redirecting to homepages the merchant could very well be losing sales.

I've had emails from people complaining when a link doesn't land on the product they expected. If ebates redirects search engine results to home pages, people aren't necessarily going to find the product they did a search for on the homepage. Another reason they'll hit the back button and go to the next search result.

This is also yet another reason why we as affiliate marketers should use direct product links instead of banners. (1) We're increasing our chances of a sale because we are directing targeted traffic, (2) we're not just brand advertising for the merchant, and (3) Top Moxie can't land the person on the product page.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

Would their be a way to put a no redirect tag in a Frame, or if their is a redirect, have a code that would redirect the page back to it's self?
    Kind like an redirect override code.

And or have a frame that does not allow pop ups?

Then all we would have to do is link to the coded frame on are server's.

"It's your foot, you can shoot it if you want to." ~ Me

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread