Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Help Please - MySQL Client Software
    I am reading Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL and Kevin Yank recommends downloading the free MySQL Client Software from www.mysql.com to run on your own computer if you don't have shell access.

I went to the website and I can't find anything called MySQL Client Software. The only I can find that I 'think' might be the correct thing is the MySQL Adminstrator http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/administrator/1.0.html

Does anyone know if that is what I need, and if not, can you provide a link to what I am looking for?

Thanks!
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, and there should also be a client with the main download.

But if you are locally running a webserver, I would suggest using phpmyadmin http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php instead. I prefer it over any mysql client.

Chet

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    Yes, and there should also be a client with the main download.

But if you are locally running a webserver, I would suggest using phpmyadmin http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php instead. I prefer it over any mysql client.

Chet
    Thanks Chet!

I do have phpmyadmin on my webhost. I just wanted to install this so that I can work on learning how to work on the basics of MySQL's command line interface so I have a complete understanding of how it all works.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

If you donít already have a webserver on your local machine, have a look at easyphp. I think I got it from download.com . Itís an easy way to install Apache, PHP, MySQL, and phpmyadmin all at one time. Iíve installed them separately before, but this way is a lot easier. And I can start the lot of them with one click.
    But are you still master of your domain?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Michelle
    Thanks Chet!

I do have phpmyadmin on my webhost. I just wanted to install this so that I can work on learning how to work on the basics of MySQL's command line interface so I have a complete understanding of how it all works.
    If you just want command line, you should be able to just drop down into your current command line interface (depending on the os) and type msyql -u username -p password and you will be in their command line interface. All the other client tools are just graphical abstractions.

But dear god why? Past going in their if something breaks horribly (maybe twice in the past 3 years) to run a repair command with odd parameters, you should avoid this at all costs. I have been programming databases for 15 years and I avoid the thing like the plague, it makes me cry.

Chet

If you want to slowly work your way into the SQL command line and see what's happening when you do stuff, use Phpmyadmin. On nearly every page is a box marked "Run SQL query/queries on xxx" - any legal SQL statement can be used inside this box.

Most result pages show, at the top, the SQL query used to generate the output shown below.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread