Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Google Update Bourbon
    Saw this at Webmasterworld. Apparently we have an update going on.

ABW Ambassador
    >>Google Update Bourbon

Pretty good as a conference promo, huh?

15 years and counting
    The date is right but I don't see anything new with my websites. Same keywords, same traffic.

I've noticed some minor shifting and a continuation of movement trends from the last update.. but so far nothing major.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    Same here, not seeing anything major. Google traffic actually up a little past week or so.

No change here. I'm to the point where any major Google change will help me. I'd love to see a major shift.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Unhappy
    You guys better look again - it's absolute devestation!

15 years and counting
    Still the same for me. Same keywords, same traffic. And, I don't see any old sites in disgrace coming back.

The Googlebot sure isn't doing anything much with my sites. Traffic from google is up a little bit, idexed pages are took a big dip on my main site though.

Yes, I see the effects of Update Bourbon - about a 50% drop in traffic. At first I thought I was having server problems. Oh, sometimes I get so tired of these major Google updates. The roller coaster ride can get very dizzy!

I believe I had spoken to soon in another thread...

Google giveth and Google taketh away. All of the high ranking, good keywords that I had are now gone *sigh*
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

It's getting to the point where we need to expect this for new non-authority websites. Until you can become an authority in your keywork theme, you'll gain and lose spots on a regular basis. I've completely changed my tune and am after that authority status. It's certainly not an easy task, but without it you can't hold a listing. If you can generate several thousand visitors without Google, you'll hold a spot much stronger than somebody who's relying on Google for traffic. Just gotta get into that zone where people visit your site because they want to, not because Google sent them there.

- Scott

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You're missing an important piece of the puzzle:

People can only go to your site "because they want to," if they KNOW about it!
    So *somebody* has to send them there the first time, whether it's Google or some other source.

And if you can generate several thousand visitors without Google, then there's no longer any need to care what Google wants one way or the other.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

You definitely need to get traffic elsewhere, that's the trick! Sometimes it'll cost money, sometimes it won't.

Also, if you generate several thousand visitors without Google, they may not be buyers. Google will see all this attention towards your site and send traffic to your sales pages. For example, if you run a content site and you've got several thousand non-buying content visitors, you may not get many sales from them directly. But, because they're using and linking to your site, Google will spider your sales pages and index those as a result of the attention your site is garnering. I do this and it works quite well.

- Scott

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "I'm to the point where any major Google change will help me."
    "I do this and it works quite well."

That doesn't match...

And if I get thousands of visitors to the c*ntent section of the sites that actually *have* a content section--there's some SE sending them. Sure, a few links appear, but usually from totally obscure sites.

I've found the notion that people will link to content on their own, without a recip, to be a myth for the most part. I did manage to snag a mention in AOL's blog page for a day (they have a part where they mention blogs that are talking about some current subject, which they change daily), but the link was probably gone before the G-bot even saw it...

Aggravatingly, I have found that it likes lots of upd*tes--and an extraordinary amount of new material. I think Google has a really pie-in-the-sky idea of how much c*ntent a person can dream up on an ongoing basis!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I find that if a visitor isn't buying, they're at least contributing to the system. Either they register and play with some tools or offer click statistics on what items generate more attention. With varying degrees of desire you can begin to organize their navigation as they browse, without a registration. Once they've inadvertantly created something they can use later on, they'll register. If the process improves their shopping experience, great!

If they use it regularly, they'll put the link in a prominent place. Sometimes it may appear on a blog under "Links" and remain. Those are rewarding.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    "I'm to the point where any major Google change will help me."
    "I do this and it works quite well."

That doesn't match...
    I still get a lot of traffic from Google, and I'm confident enough in my standings that I won't lose any more.

15 years and counting
    Snib - It's getting to the point where we need to expect this for new non-authority websites. Until you can become an authority in your keywork theme, you'll gain and lose spots on a regular basis. I've completely changed my tune and am after that authority status. It's certainly not an easy task, but without it you can't hold a listing. If you can generate several thousand visitors without Google, you'll hold a spot much stronger than somebody who's relying on Google for traffic.
    I like your theory on authority websites. I'm happy to have a few sites like that for different themes. They go thru updates with no problem. I can add a page and be on top of the SERPs for their keywords in the next few days. The site is getting much more importance than the page. That's the big change of these last few updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    The site is getting much more importance than the page. That's the big change of these last few updates.
    That would be nice because I'm seeing just the opposite. I'm seeing a gap between page value versus site value. This gap shows page value is up. I also haven't experienced any change with this update so maybe it's not fully implemented.

- Scott

15 years and counting
    I did several experiments these last 5/6 months. Let's say, I've an authority site with a gardening theme. I'm building a page related to car parts, nothing related to flowers, home decor, tools, seeds, sheds... If I add that page to my authority gardening site, I'm sure to be in the top ten SERPs for a two words sentence (related to car parts) in less than one week. I can push it up in less than a month.
    Now, if I add that same page (after removing it from my gardening site), to one of my automotive sites, with a page rank between 5 to 7, it's going to take me 6 months to one year to rank lower than before for the same keyworks.
    My conclusion is that the overall quality and authority of the site is more important than the quality of the page.
    I'm not an expert. I know what works for me and that's it.

Aggravatingly, I have found that it likes lots of upd*tes--and an extraordinary amount of new material. I think Google has a really pie-in-the-sky idea of how much c*ntent a person can dream up on an ongoing basis!
    One word for you - Elance

I have a couple hundred 350-500 word articles created for me per month at $6 a pop. I simply do some keyword research, and supply my "trusted writers" with a list of keywords to focus on.

Another elancer than works to get 2-3 inbound links to each article from relevant sites (he only charges me $400 a month....and usually gets me at least 100 one-way inbound deep links per month)

Outsourcing is a beautiful thing ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Market Watcher
    One word for you - Elance

I have a couple hundred 350-500 word articles created for me per month at $6 a pop. I simply do some keyword research, and supply my "trusted writers" with a list of keywords to focus on.

Another elancer than works to get 2-3 inbound links to each article from relevant sites (he only charges me $400 a month....and usually gets me at least 100 one-way inbound deep links per month)

Outsourcing is a beautiful thing ;-)
    Sounds like a great strategy. How happy are you with the quality of the content from a consumer point of view?

- Scott

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Adsense impressions were identical to a week ago for me so it did not seem to bring about any big change overall. I did notice that a key phrase for my (unmonetized) "content" site went from 175 to 35. Keep in mind that Saturdays around this time of year can be really low traffic. Wait til Tuesday or Wednesday to see the full effect.

What is with the "Bourbon" associated with this update?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Question Naming Updates
    >What is with the "Bourbon" associated with this update?

Over the years WmW has developed such an "intimate relationship" with Google that Google lets the management of WmW name their updates like hurricanes are named.

A, B, C, D etc.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Why does anyone ever doubt my ability to drive relivant traffic & buyers to my merchant client's sites without ever pissing off the Google -MSN -Yahoo Gods??

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ens+suspenders

Not bad having 7 of the 10 first page natural SERP listings sending buyers to my client. Not bad that 2 major PPCSE playas also pay to drive traffic to my client's site, while his Adwords clicks convert at a 1/16 basis.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=men...gle=1&ei=UTF-8

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?F...ens+suspenders

http://search.aol.com/aolcom/search?...enders&Search=

This tread made me look at this clients keyword listings. He's never paid a dime since 1998 for top SERP listings and any SEO fees. I've always said you can forget about SE changes if you write your pages for the shopper's benefit. It naturally makes the merchant happy when he pays zip for junk traffic and has the conversion ratio other merchants would die for...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast