Same IP/DNS
    I know different opinions about this has been posted, but I coulldn't find any.

I am desperate at this
    Last part of December my traffic started to decline big time by about half per month and still declining, up until that point I was fine and was gaining traffic consistantly. Now no matter what I do, I do not see an increase in traffic/sales at all, only a decrease.

It just so happened around the time of my traffic decline my host moved their servers to another building. I do not know if this was just a coincidence or what?

I ran tracert on my domains (I have 3) all 3 are hosted by the same host, they assure me they are on seperate servers. But, when I ran the tracert it returned all the DNS numbers as the same except for the last 3 numbers on each. Is this bad? I do link kinda heavily between 2 of the sites and slightly with the other one. Could this be penalized by Google or any other SEs? Please include any links to other opinions/proof as well.

Please Help!
    Thanks,
    Desperate Tami

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tami
    Is this bad? I do link kinda heavily between 2 of the sites and slightly with the other one. Could this be penalized by Google or any other SEs? Please include any links to other opinions/proof as well.
    Tami - I bet many people have seen your desperate cry for help. From here, it is very hard to make a definitive statement about what has happened to you. Interlinking two or three sites you own, hosted from the same IP address, has been claimed by many to be a risk. BUT we can't prove to you that this is the one and only issue.

I suggest you stop interlinking your own sites together - but I'll also add that if the two sites (of yours) are very relevent to one another - and if it makes a lot of sense to provide links because they'd be useful for a site visitor at either, then interlink them as needed. You also might consider getting a dedicated IP address for each site - but this is not an absolute either - just an opinion that appears to be backed up by many people's experiences. The monthly cost of a dedicated IP address is so small that the piece of mind in having them is likely worth it.

The answer to your question is not straightforward or simple - and those of us here reading your post are doubly blind - the search engines don't tell us exactly how they work -and- we can't see your site. You're in the best position to address the overall picture here.

Review these guidelines from Google:
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html
    As you attempt to do them, ask questions about how to best implement a given aspect of each. These can be individually discussed in detail, but we're not in a position to answer your question fully - and we never will be.

You might also consider hiring a firm to review your present status - search for the term "seo site review" at Google and you'll find some folks who can give you an itemized list for a fee. And by the way, realize those folks cannot know exactly and completely what you need to do - more they can provide specific steps needed to largely address what the community believes are the most important aspects of getting search engine results. Be careful hiring any firm that guarantees results - if search engine results techniques are not public knowledge, how could a firm guarantee results? Further, do an SEO review and then do the work yourself to address each recommended area of improvement - will teach you a lot and hone your skills as well.

What I have to offer is anecdotal(?) at best.

I had sites hosted at different hosts at one time and had a couple interlinked together to help get the newer ones spidered. I moved my sites onto one reseller host plan on one server. The sites that were interlinked did take a nose dive after a couple of weeks. I removed the links because that was the only thing I could think of and the sites started gaining back and have surpassed where they were before...I have also have been promoting those sites..

Mind you all this has been going on since about february and Google has been all over the place since then so who knows?? But I would try removing the links and give it a month and see what happens.

But now I have a site that was skyrocketing and since I was out of commision for 3 weeks(without computer access
    ) the site was deindexed . Still a pr4 though. The only thing I can find is the link to my privacy policy was broken...I fixed it we shall see...
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

You need to avoid excessive interlinking of sites using the same class-C IP block (the first three groups of numbers). G appears to be penalizing these sites. Sites on the same class-C are a dead giveaway that the sites are either on the same server or with the same hosting company. Many hosting companies that offer dedicated IPs still place you on the same class-C, so be aware of this.

The way some people are getting around this is to remove all of the interlinking among the sites and then set up a hub site with another hosting company (which means a different class-C), and provide links to the sites through this. The hub site is best configured as an information site designed to attract the search engines. I've seen a few of these hosted on the free hosting offered by many ISPs. They seem to work as long as the hosting company allows the sites to be indexed by the search engines.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Tami - see Tech Evangelists signature line - there's an SEO site review service. I don't know Tech Evangelist from boo - but being a member of ABestWeb counts as an up arrow in their favor IMO.

I have went ahead and got the dedicated IPs, it is cheap and worth a try.
    I still have 2 sites that have the same first 2 sets of numbers are the same, but thats ok right, it is only if the first 3 sets are the same that it's bad, right?

I guess I should also stop interlinking as well, I have noting to loose at this point anyway.

This is all so frustrating! I paid more in my first quarter estimated taxes than I have made so far this year!

Thank You all so much!
    Tami

Hi Tami

You should be okay with the first 2 sets of numbers being the same. That's a class-B IP block.

If you want the full-blown geek explanation of IP addresses, check out this page:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question549.htm
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread