Question Coupon Management?
    Hey All -

Has anyone come up with a great way to deal with coupons on a large scale level? How are you dealing with coupons that expire and remembering to change them out? Right now, I'm creating tasks in outlook to remind me, but with 300 merchants, my task list looks like something out of a thesis research project. It's crazy!

I'd love any advice anyone has on this topic.

Thanks!

Matt

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I haven't implemented this either, but the best way I've heard of yet, is to stick all the coupons into a database along with their expiration dates and let some script do the work of updating the pages.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Hi Matt. I posted a similar question last month:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=56942

~Lisa~
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

Thanks Lisa!

I'll take some time to read what everyone said in there! Great minds, huh?

I agree with Leader. Build a db/table keyed by program (I'm focusing on a coupon manager tied to a datafeed, showing the latest coupon on a page with the merchants product(s)). Show the most current coupon if one exists, ensuring current date is not later than the coupon expiration date. Maintain your db and you at least won't be showing expired coupons. Even if you fall behind on adding new ones, that's not as bad as showing expired ones.

I'm planning on implementing this myself for my sites with a PHP script and a new MYSQL db.

Coupon MGT
    I have dealt with the same problems, the solution that works for me is unless the merchant emails me or gives an expiration date in the link, I DO NOT UPDATE. I do however check all my links once a quarter

I believe it is up to the merchant affiliate managers to contact us with new coupons.

I agree that it is the AM job to contact you!

What I have done to try and make things easier for my Affiliates is that I have specific seasonal creative that is auto updated with new creative and links to the new offers page.

I also have a special 10% Promo and switch the creative and the landing page for the affiliate.

If an affiliate only has to load a link once and the rest is taken care of then I think a lot of strain is taken off the affiliate.

I think this is what we have to do because I think it's a little too much to expect affiliates with tons of merchants listed to always know what is going on with each one.

just for the record though I can sympathize with the task list in outlook ;-)

We just got a new system that is fabulous, We have a project management system that really has made keeping organized a breeze.

It is good to hear this feedback though, to know what you guys need!

Amanda Hayes

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    ROLMAO ....just copy other couponer sites and hawk their tradenames & URLs with the primary focus being Adwords click fees....

http://www.hugebuys.com/index.html
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I have created a backend database that allows me to update my coupons from one central source. The only draw back i have is that i use src tags, which sometimes take a little more time to load but its is very convient as when i update the link it updates through out the entirew network. If you wish i can direct you to my developers which i am sure they can give you a good price (since it already built)

Don't know why more affiliate managers can't autoupdate coupon links. Some merchants do, but many don't replace banners and text links (e.g. @ CJ) with new offers.

>> autoupdate coupon links

this should be the job of AM,
    not their hundreds or thousands of affiliates

do it once and for all
    don't waste our time

i cannot understand why those Affiliate Programs
    still expect their individual affiliates doing the same thing from time to time.

Matt, I have been using PHPAds for management of my advertising banners, etc. for my websites. This is open source software and only php, mysql and access to cron jobs are required for this. The software is great, you can set up advertisers which is my case would be shareasale, and then publishers which would be the different merchants that you promote and then add banners to each of the publishers. You can do all sorts of stuff like setting distribution weighting, and most importantly in your case, you can set when a banner should be discontinued from displaying by using the date parameters. Once all of this is set up, you create zones which are used to display on your web pages. If all of your pages are html, you just need to setup your .htaccess file to process html as php.

As I said, I have been using this and most of my sites only generate around 300 unique visitors per day (sites in progress). I have heard of major traffic sites using it with no problem.

Anyway, just something for you to look at, seems to work for me.

Tom

Thanks Tom - I will check that out! Much appreciated!

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread