PHP/mySQL-based affiliate data feed parsing script?
    I'm somewhat new to the Affiliate marketing game. I'm looking for a free script that will import a data feed from an affiliate program into a mySQL database and then using PHP parse the data into an online "store" which allows visitors to browse/search by category or brand. Any suggestions?

I have an affiliate in mind that I'd like to try this with. They provide a feed as a CSV file and it consists of only about 14 fields (product category, item name description, image URL, buy link URL, etc.). The buy link includes the CJ domain in the URL so this would be through Commission Junction. I would like something flexible enough to be able to add additional vendors (other networks or custom) if I can.

My PHP skills are somewhat weak which is why I'm looking for a prebuilt script. I'm okay at modifying existing code to get it to look the way I want, but I'm lost when starting from the ground up. Any thoughts?

I suggest trying OS commerce. It's not built for affiliate datafeeds, but I'm sure with some tweaking you can make it work. I've seen it done before. To me, that's the closest thing you'll find to what you're describing. People won't let that kind of system go for free or for even a modest amount if it works well.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Lightbulb
    There are two different but related components to deal with. The establishment and update of the MySQL DB and the script to do the searches that become the browse/search capability.

If you use something like PHP/MyAdmin (free) to maintain your MySQL database you can define a table that matches your datafeed and upload it directly. There's a limit of about 2MB for the file upload size but there are several work-arounds. One is to break the file into pieces. Another is to eliminate unnecessary data elements (columns) to reduce the size of the upload file. Perhaps the best is to write a PHP script (coming next) to read a txt file and write to the MySQL DB table.

I suggest looking over a simple PHP/MySQL tutorial. There's a simple free one available at Free Webmaster Help that I used. It gives very useful examples.

Once you try setting up the DB and do a simple search script/test things will probably begin to fall into place.

Good luck.

I think the better idea is to build the PHP interface around your mysql database.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineZone
    I'm somewhat new to the Affiliate marketing game. I'm looking for a free script that will import a data feed from an affiliate program into a mySQL database and then using PHP parse the data into an online "store" which allows visitors to browse/search by category or brand. Any suggestions?
    Not free but worth the time savings:
    http://www.phpmill.com/feedparser/

It leaves the store making part up to you but it takes the hassle out of getting the data feed into the database.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread