Question Site Search Engine
    I was wondering if anyone has every used SiteSearchPro? I've been looking for a good database driven site search engine and this one seems like it will do what I've been looking for.

Leeanne

It seems like something you can find for free. I know I've seen similar perl scripts that are open source. I kinda like how they break down the advanced form into: include all words, exact phrase, any of the words, excluding words. Makes it a little easier for people to understand how searching is done. These features are available if you use a mySQL fulltext search in boolean mode.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I looked at a bunch of the free stuff listed at HotScripts and most of it fell short of what I was looking for. Then there the fact that I'm not a great database programmer. I think the last time I touched a database was Paradox back in the late 80's.
    Thanks Scott

Leeanne

Try a PHP script over perl. I recommend. I will try to post a link, there was a php script that indexes the website, and adds the data in a mysql database. Makes search results faster.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    That link would be great Thanks!

I'd love to have the link also.

I bought SiteSearchPro for Business and loaded it up on my site. It looked like it would work great but I ran into a snag. The search box wouldn't show up unless you hit the Refresh button.

I wrote to the support department at SiteSearchPro and explained the problem to then and received the following answer;

“Sometimes this problem appears with javascript code if there are other scripts on this page. Solution is using html installation code if problem will appear again. You have complex dynamic javascript menu on web site.”

I’ve used lots of java scripts on various pages that I’ve built in the past and never had this type problem. I tried using their html solution and it was even worse. I even move the search box off to a very simple html page and had the same problem. I wrote back to them a month ago and haven't heard back.

So, the link to a good php script would be well appreciated.

Leeanne

i have tried interspire fast find and found it better and somewhat good than site search pro.

as leanne mentioned ,

i faced a similar problem and my questions didnt get a reply back.
    so i switched over to other scripts before landing fast find

and so far i find it good and their support forums as well is very good.

prompt replies and updates.

i would suggest that to you as well.

I downloaded this awhile ago and never got around to using it because I wrote my own but its free and its phpbased. Here's the url:

www.phpdig.net

Hope that helps
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

HtDig is an awesome and very-powerful search engine for your site. It's a little technical, but is capable of indexing a virtually unlimited number of pages. It's Free.
    http://www.htdig.org/

Fliud Dynamics Search Engine is also very powerful, is extremely easy to install and configure. If you're a little timid around scripts, then this is the one for you. It also virtually free.
    http://www.xav.com/scripts/search/

I should add that both are quite fast, and are completely customizable.

Fred

Thanks for the links. I'm just starting to learn php. Quite a task to a little ole lady like me.

So far I've downloaded and installed the Apchie web server, MySQL server and the latest version of php. I downloaded phpMyAdmin last weekend and trying to figure out the installation.

Leeanne

I never did hear back from the SearchSitePro support group. I used the program for about a month and dumped it. I found out it's web crawler was chewing up a lot of bandwidth everytime it searched my site. So, for me, SearchSitePro was a black hole.

Leeanne

I've used the following database driven search for a while, easy to install,

http://www.ezscripting.com/csvsearch/

I have iSearch on a site done for a client and it seems to work well. They send notices of updates every few months so it's still supported and free. It got some bad PR from spyware with the name Isearch, and he has information on removing the evil Isearch toolbar at the top of his first page. The site it's on is vermilion.org which is the local tourist commission and has no adds or AF links.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread