Talking My Site is Turning 10!! Ideas on How I Should Celebrate?
    My site will turn 10 years old next month. That's right TEN YEARS OLD!!!

Since this is a rather big benchmark to have crossed, I figure that I should do something online to celebrate. I've got a couple of ideas, but I thought I would see what ideas others have.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Redirect all the traffic to me for a day
    LOL

Seriously now, how about some kind of contest for that day?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by sweat
    My site will turn 10 years old next month. That's right TEN YEARS OLD!!!

Since this is a rather big benchmark to have crossed, I figure that I should do something online to celebrate. I've got a couple of ideas, but I thought I would see what ideas others have.

Thoughts/Suggestions?
    Just an idea.

Post a note on your site about your first decade as yoursite.com, thanking all of your visitor for making your site one of their favorites place to shop online for the last then years.

Come up with some free product or something to celebrate the anniversary by offering some of your visitors a chance to win a gift or whatever to mark the occasion.

Not only would your visitors get to remember your site name more, but at the same time you can also increase your email database.

The first 10 (or 100) visitors to join our xxxxx.com newsletter on June x and mention this code [1decade] will receive a (whatever you want to give away)

Even if you don't use an email list, you may still get more people to visit your site during that week.

If you offer something back to your loyal visitors on that day, they may recommend your site to their friends and family more often.

That was just one crazy idea, but it might work.

:-)

Thanks.

I've thought about contests, but have two hesistations:
    1)I have no idea what the legalities and regulations involved are.
    2)Getting several hundred, if not more, entries a day is not an unrealistic expectation. If I do get that many, than there is a logistical problem with how I handle them.

I've kicked around the idea of doing something for charity, most likely the Susan B. Komen foundation (my mother is a breast cancer survivor). Perhaps getting some vendors to donate goods that could be auctioned off on eBay. Has any approached eBay about doing a charity event?

Thoughts/Ideas/Comments?

Internet Cowboy
    Make a sizeable donation to the Keoman Foundation in the name of your web site. That is a great idea.
    I do a lot of work for the American Cancer Society. Contact them and see if the Relay for Life in your area has happened for 2005 or not. If not, they are a good recipient for the donation too. You will get more publicity giving it to Relay than you would Susan B.....I think.
    Challenge your merchants to match it. Do this publically on your web site. Get them involved, increase the $$$ donated, you get some nice press and everyone wins.
    Mine will be 10 in 2007. Damn, how 10 years can FLY BY.
    Congrats.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Congratulations, that's an awesome accomplishment. I only have 3.5 years to go before my oldest site turns 10.

One thing I like to do to commemorate important occasions is to plant a tree. Planting trees is an act of faith in the future since it takes a tree about 20 years to get to an approximation of its full size. I think of it as leaving a mark that I passed this way and also as a gift to people who come after me.

You can post pictures of your tree on your website and then every subsequent anniversary you can post another photo so visitors can watch its progress.

Quote Originally Posted by sweat
    Thanks.

I've thought about contests, but have two hesistations:
    1)I have no idea what the legalities and regulations involved are.
    2)Getting several hundred, if not more, entries a day is not an unrealistic expectation. If I do get that many, than there is a logistical problem with how I handle them.
    As far as legalities go. As long as there is no cost to enter, you shouldn't run into any problems.

I have a monthly givewaway at my site for a cookbook. What I do is have all the emails filter into one folder. At the end of the month I draw chips. I have 10 poker chips, numbered 0 through 9. Say you have 856 entries. Draw remove the 0 and 9. Draw a number. Return the chip and the 0 and 9 to the pile. Draw another number, and finally a third number. The three numbers together is the number of the email in order received. Say the numbers work out to 483. Whichever was the 483 entry to arrive in my folder is the winner.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Redirect all the traffic to me for a day
    LOL

Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    As far as legalities go. As long as there is no cost to enter, you shouldn't run into any problems.
    Actually, that's not quite true. Sweepstakes are regulated by individual states. You have to comply with the state laws of every state whose residents are eligible to participate. Some states require registration, fees, bonds, or escrow. This is especially true for sweepstakes with total values of $5,000 or more, sweepstakes where FL, NY, and/or RI residents are allowed to participate, or sweepstakes where a purchase is required.

To play it safe:

1) Always clearly state that no purchase is required.
    2) Don't allow entries from FL, NY, or RI and explicitly include "other places where prohibited by law".
    3) Keep the total value of the prize or prizes below $5,000.
    4) Don't require any sort of entry fee (like a raffle).
    5) Don't allow children to enter.
    6) Make sure it's a sweepstakes, not a contest.
    7) Make sure your rules explain everything, perhaps by basing them off another sweepstakes.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread