Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is it panic time yet?
    I've been in CJ for 7 days and I have 4,273 impressions and no sales. Is it time for me to panic? Should I switch my affiliates? It is in an educational vertical. Need some advice from the experts.

First, don't panic.
    Second, switch your affiliates?

So long and thanks for all the fish
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

So you are saying that 7 days is enough time for them to produce? I am using 4 different affiliates all related to my content. None of them are well known brand names however.

ABW Ambassador
    To heck with impressions, how many clicks?

I think a lot would depend on your success with those merchants and their links in the past. It's not so much the number of impressions as it is the number of clicks for me. I have one site, one of my early ones, that outdoes all my other sites in impressions and does the poorest in sales. Of course, that was back in the days when I slapped a dozen affiliate links on each page (which boosts impression numbers, but not sales).

Expriement some. Build some new pages, well linked to your existing pages, with some other links and see how they do.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Thirteen clicks so far.

ABW Ambassador
    That is a weak click through ratio, you aren't selling the links well enough - or are these banners?

13 clicks isn't enough to tell anything, past that you aren't getting enough clicks.

Chet

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You need to do more than just slap banners around content...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I am using banners only for now. I was experimenting to see how they would do.

ABW Ambassador
    13 banner clicks. You're going to have to do more work than that. And they're merchants, you're the affiliate.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I am using banners only for now. I was experimenting to see how they would do.
    No need for the experimenting. The 13 clicks is how they'll do. Why chetf asked "or are these banners?"

Do some reading around the forums here and get some ideas of how to make those text and product links work for you.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by travisbickle100
    Thirteen clicks so far.
    those clicks are probably yours anyway, as well as the impressions.

Could be worse...much worse, at times I have had 168k impressions, 15 clicks and 0 sales, just a matter of finding what works best and sticking with it

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    And they're merchants, you're the affiliate.

Forgive me, I am still learning the nomenclature of the business.

Kellie,

I have looked at some of the posts and many of them seem to be rants and venting about server outages and not getting paid on time. Can you point me to ones you feel would be the most worthwhile to read?

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo
    those clicks are probably yours anyway, as well as the impressions.

I have stayed away from the site the last week and only clicked once to make sure they were working.

Quote Originally Posted by travisbickle100
    Forgive me, I am still learning the nomenclature of the business.

Kellie,

I have looked at some of the posts and many of them seem to be rants and venting about server outages and not getting paid on time. Can you point me to ones you feel would be the most worthwhile to read?
    Oh brother... don't be lazy and click to the next page of threads. Also, ABW has lots of other forums that are more specific to designing decent pages. The CJ forum isn't one of them...

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Kellie,

First, let me backtrack a bit and welcome you to ABW. Welcome to ABW!

The CJ forum probably isn't the best place to find those types of posts. The ABW Academy is probably a good place to start: http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=144

And I'm honestly not being sacrastic, but one of the best tools you'll have for learning about affiliate marketing is the Search Box. A Search link is located on the top menu of every page. There are literally hundreds of thousands of posts and I don't even know how many forum now. ABW can be a bit overwhelming with just the amount of acquired information. The Search function is really great. Just pop in keywords for different areas you are interested in like "banner conversions". Also when you find a helpful threads, look at the bottom of the page for "Similiar Threads" and check those out also.

And of course when you have questions, be sure to ask.

13 clicks is too low for 4273 impressions. It is hard to speculate as to the reasons but obviously your visitors are not interested in this product. Try to place products that are consistent with the quality of the traffic on your site.

marcelle

I will spend the next few weeks reading through the affiliate academy pages. That seems like a good place to start.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't know much about the educational sector, not sure how that usually converts.

But some basics. Text links or product links convert better than banner links. Banner links are probably the worst converting of the links. There are some i've found to work like coupon banner links, hot product banner links, deal of the day banner links, stuff like that.

Like's already been posted 13 clicks is not enough to judge anything. I expect a few sales out of every 100 clicks. Of course different stuff converts differently. If after i send anybody a few hundred clicks and no sales, then i start to wonder. Maybe they're a dud, maybe not marketing them right, maybe the traffic isn't targetted, could be lots of reasons.

Like BLFH said the best thing you can do is just start searching and reading. It's going to take a lot more time and a lot more than banner links and 13 clicks before you start seeing some real results.

I think your best bet for quick conversions is to run multiple ad campaigns. Also, never base your stats on impressions, those always play with new webmaster's minds. They think that if their site is getting 500,000 impressions a day, then suddenly their site is super popular and worth a lot more per click or per sale than the other guy's, but in reality, from those 500k impressions, you could be getting only 15-25 clicks, and ZERO sales.

Your site needs MUCH more traffic for some trial and error campaign testing, so get more of it, re-evaluate your campaign, play around with different types of ads and merchants, switch around colors and content, and then decide if you should drop them or not. It's all about trial and error in my book, and that always helps my sites go from zero to hero in just a month or so. Try it and see for yourself!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!

13 clicks is not a significant amount. You need about 300-500 or so to see what is happening. Remember, an $8.00 EPC means $8 per 100 click-thrus - this could translate to 1 or 2 sales per hundred click-thrus. What Kellie pointed out is true however - the fact that you only got 13 clicks with all the impressions tells you that you probably need to try a different approach.

If you play around enough with affiliate marketing you will find that some things can't make hardly any money due to the make-up of the visitor and other sites work very well. It just takes time and patience to see what works. I have one site right now (one of my best traffic and rank sites) that I can not seem to make work. So, I focus on other things that do work instead.

Here's a bit of history on my affiliate marketing:
    Started: March 2003
    May 2003 - Not one cent of income yet
    June 2003 - One sale (about $4)
    July 2003 - Started making $2 per day (relatives laughed at me)
    Sept 2003 - Finally started making significant amounts ($30+ per day) and have managed to do so since with LOT's of ups and down. Have seen (like most others here) traffic drop to a fraction, have seen best programs disappear, lost good programs to parasiteware, etc....

Good luck to you!
    Last edited by Cheesehead; May 24th, 2005 at 11:11 PM.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Welcome Travisbickel100, newbie to newbie. I've been with CJ since the beginning of April. So far for May I've had 3800 impressions, 93 clicks and 10 sales. I haven't been getting a lot of traffic but I've made beer money. I expect that it's going to take some time to get the traffic up and start making some real money. Give it some time and check out some of the other forums here. I've learn a lot in the short time I've been here. I'm sure you will too.

Leeanne

ABW Ambassador
    Are you talkin' to me?

Are you talkin' to me?

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Not really, unless you want talk over a couple of long necks.

Leeanne

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast