High Volume Affiliate Concerns
    I was thinking about how casually affiliate/merchant agreements are forged in relation to the large amounts of money that can be involved and I'm curious about the way the rest you of work.

Do you make formal contracts with the merchants you do more business with? If so, what amount of monthly revenue/payout cues you to make the contract?

Also, when you strike a better payout per action, do you get that in writing?

After getting burned with a handful of indies that didn't pay, I'm considering making more of a formal contract, credit app, etc.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    After getting burned with a handful of indies that didn't pay, I'm considering making more of a formal contract, credit app, etc.
    That is why I really don't like working with Indie programs. I know that the networks have their problems, but most times, I'd rather choose a merchant that belongs to a network vs. one that has an indie program.

Internet Cowboy
    Indie pgms should be carefully selected and monitored closely. I work with just a few, one of them is my main focus of all indies. Keep in close contact, that keeps you in the loop and also lets them know you are watching things closely. You are less likely to get screwed that way.

I've had tremendous success with many indies, but I've had a few that were deadbeats. It can be hard to discern. Some that I had doubts about have been great. Some that I thought would be wonderful turned out to be the biggest deadbeats. One that I worked with for four years turned into a deadbeat.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

That's why lots of affiliates choose to work with networks instead. Yes networks keep their fee or revenue you could potentially earn, but if you do can do volume, most networks will cut back their rate a little to supplement the big affiliate.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

Of course there are no guarantees with networks, either. Like many others, I lost tens of thousands in 1999/2000 from network merchants who went bankrupt with 2-6 months of outstanding payments. Even CJ isn't immune, with merchants like KBtoys.com being granted credit by CJ and then going bankrupt. And then there's problems like the current Linkshare payment fiasco. I have no doubt that I'll get paid, but the 2-3 month delays are a flashback to 1999. Most of my indies are paid up for April's earnings already.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    We have been running our indie program for 2 years and have always paid on time.

During that period we have never EVER processed a charge back.

For those afraid of getting "burned" we also run the program at SAS and auto-deposit.

[end blatant promotional post]

I've been burned on occasion too, and though there are certainly enough cheats and thieves out there to cloud the broth, most independent merchants are honest.

Better to try 10 and get burned by one than to try none and gain nothing.

Since no one said otherwise, I guess the majority of you feel fine with the standard "I agree" contract.

What about when you get a better than published payout. Do you get that in writing? I recently had a merchant cut a pay rate saying that it was only a temporary incentive. It was a verbal agreement and I don't remember it being offered temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    I've been burned on occasion too...
    I think everyone gets burned once in awhile. Sadly it still happens to us now, but that's business. You never collect 100% of the money you earn. Some companies go out of business, just decide not to pay, god knows what.

Quote Originally Posted by arc1
    What about when you get a better than published payout. Do you get that in writing? I recently had a merchant cut a pay rate saying that it was only a temporary incentive. It was a verbal agreement and I don't remember it being offered temporarily.
    Few merchants through big networks use paper contracts when dealing with affiliates. A few big affiliates still want them, but not usually.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread