Affiliate Manager
    Need Affiliate Opinion
    In my affiliate program, we often come out with new creative for hot books or a book that has a movie coming out (like Star Wars for example). How can I get my affiliates to be excited about new creative like this? If I offer the creative to one affiliate exclusively, is this something that an affiliate would be excited about? All opinions or ideas to make things like this more appealing to affiliates are greatly appreciated!

Internet Cowboy
    You might be interested in this thread:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=57553

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks UncleScooter, I have already submitted this information to my boss to see if they are interested in sending me! Any other ideas out there?

Talking
    I know that you have visited the thread mentioned above, but I would suggest that you build and put your own affiliate website out. Become an affiliate for several programs and after trying to deal with them for a while and ending up being ready to pick up your monitor and computer and throw them both into a wall you will have a very good idea of exactly what you need to do to deal with your affiliates.

The best way to learn is to experience being an affiliate yourself, and if you're lucky, you might even pick up a few extra bucks for yourself along the way.

Example: One of my programs changed networks and we had to change all of our links to them which for me was 4,000 pages. Sound like a lot of fun?

Now - like three month later - we were informed that they have changed the tracking code for all of our links - which broke all of the links that we had just already changed.

Now all of our customers get a 404 page instead of the product they want - so no sales for us or the merchant until we change all of our links again and then wait for the SE's to sort out all of the mess and start putting up real pages again instead of 404s.

This is just one of several issues that affiliate face every day but you need to experience it for yourself to really feel what we feel.

And have fun trying to get your money from many programs. You really need to experience this for yourself.

You know what I'm saying.

One month you may make thousands of dollars and the next month nothing because of tracking, merchants don't pay you, etc.

Affiliate Manager
    Hi BurgerBoy,

You are absolutely right. I am actually planning to set up my own website and become an affiliate so that I can really learn the ins and outs and really understand what my affiliates need from me. And like you said, maybe I'll make a few bucks at the same time!

In your opinion, would you care if one of your merchants said that they were giving you an exclusive on a new creative unit, or would that not appeal to you at all?

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Example: One of my programs changed networks and we had to change all of our links to them which for me was 4,000 pages. Sound like a lot of fun?

Dynamics anyone?

Talking
    You know - something else that affiliate managers don't realize is that most of us are not full time affiliates.

We have real jobs that we work at 40-50 hours a week and then we are affiliates only in our spare time when we are not at work.

We only have so many hours a week to work on our websites.

That's is why some affiliate managers think that we are not responsive when they want us to keep changing our websites for them.

I have put in 32 hours of work at my full time job in the last two days.

WE DON'T HAVE THE TIME.

We are affiliates for many different reasons.

Need extra money to try to make ends meet for our families and etc.

In my case - I'm 63 years old. I know that I can't keep working forever. Some day I'm going to have to retire and I know that there is no way that you can live on Social Security, so, I'm hoping to supplement my SS with affiliate marking so that we can still pay our bill when I finally have to retire.

We all have reasons and they are all different.

The only thing that is common is that we all don't have the time to do everything that merchant programs keep asking us to do all of the time.

You are only one of many programs that we have to deal with every day and sometimes we are tired and have to find a few hours to sleep just like you do.

Talking
    Yes - I would be interested in an exclusive program - but will I be able to find time to do what you want me to do with it because many of my other merchants are also wanting me to do something special for them at the same time.

What really matters is - I can only do one thing at a time. (Maybe I could clone myself and then I could do more)

If you are the merchant that is going to pay me the highest commission - The longest tracking cookie - The highest conversion rate - your site is parasite free - and I will always have my commission check with two weeks from the time the month ends every month - I will be working on your site.

If not I will be working on a site for another merchant.

I agree with BurgerBoy that Affiliate Managers should have their own website to have a better understanding of what their affiliates needs are. I myself have one, and I have learned quite a bit and it does assist me on a daily basis to provided better affiliate support.

[/QUOTE]In your opinion, would you care if one of your merchants said that they were giving you an exclusive on a new creative unit, or would that not appeal to you at all?[QUOTE]

I have been in the industry many years, and my experience is many affiliates love exclusive creatives and offers. It never hurts to ask especially with a branded name like Star Wars. Maybe you can try the approach "Would you like to test some new creative that has not yet been viewed by the public?" If you know your affiliates well, you will find some of them love to test things that have public appeal. Star Wars is hot right now so it would be a good place to start getting to know your affiliates and what they like and dislike.

Regards,
    Yvette Winn
    Affiliate Manager
    http://www.maxbounty.com
    yvette@maxbounty.com

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the advice. I definitely think that you are right, some affiliates will love an opportunity like exclusive creative and others won't care as much.

If I offer the creative to one affiliate exclusively, is this something that an affiliate would be excited about? All opinions or ideas to make things like this more appealing to affiliates are greatly appreciated!
    Hi alucas,

Since you said that "All opinions or ideas to make things like this more appealing to affiliates are greatly appreciated!" I hope that you don't get offended by my reply. I am just trying to cover that "one affiliate exclusively" idea with my reply.

To me, that sound like a bad idea, Why?

Well, because the first thing that pop in my mind when I read "one affiliate exclusively", all of I can think of is "One Parasite Exclusively", I am sorry, but with all of the crap that is going on two of the mayor Networks, I can't think of anything else.
    In my affiliate program, we often come out with new creative for hot books or a book that has a movie coming out (like Star Wars for example). How can I get my affiliates to be excited about new creative like this?
    Check out the link that UncleScooter posted, that is a good idea.
    In the mean time, if you take out some time and use the search feature on ABW, or just read all of the pertinent forums about affiliate marketing here, you will learn more than what you can even think of asking because you're not sure if it's a good question.

But anyway, feel free to ask any question that you may have at any time and if you get a reply that you don't like, (Like, my reply ) don't get mad, get smart and wear a flameproof skin.

Good Luck.

Affiliate Manager
    Hi Uncle Sal,

Not mad at all, I welcome any feedback! My goal is to improve my program and that also comes from constructive criticism. I am not making the connection though between offering a new creative exclusively to one affiliate and when you said "one parasite exclusively"? Sorry, can you please clarify? Parasites are not welcome in this program at all!

Quote Originally Posted by alucas
    Hi Uncle Sal,

Not mad at all, I welcome any feedback! My goal is to improve my program and that also comes from constructive criticism. I am not making the connection though between offering a new creative exclusively to one affiliate and when you said "one parasite exclusively"? Sorry, can you please clarify? Parasites are not welcome in this program at all!
    Sorry alucas,

But when you said to only one affiliate exclusively, all I was thinking was in ebates and 1-800.

I may have read your post too fast, because I am awake since Monday and every time that I am thinking of going to bed, I make the mistake of checking ABW and I wind up reading all of the new posts before I log out.

I like what you say "Parasites are not welcome in this program at all!", that is a good idea for "us" the honest affiliates.

Anyway, I will talk to you later, I need to go to sleep as soon as I can get out of here!

By the way, be very careful of ABW, it can be too addictive for our own good if we're on the learning side.

Sal.

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks Mr. Sal, I appreciate the comments. Sweet Dreams!

Quote Originally Posted by alucas
    If I offer the creative to one affiliate exclusively, is this something that an affiliate would be excited about?
    Un-asked for advice(1): Ask your affiliates. They, and only they, can answer that question. The rest of us can only speculate.

Un-asked for advice(2): Communicate with your affiliates. I mean on a personal level. Not in the monthly newsletter. Some will not have time to have a dialogue with you. Some will.

Those that do have the time and inclination to work with you may provide you with the feedback you are seeking.

Speaking from personal experience, nothing perks me up more than an email from my manager asking how I'm doing. Do I need anything? What about a special size banner? ...etc...

Time consuming? Yes. Productive? Yes. Start with just a few each week. Increase the numbers as time, progress, allows. Or drop it if it's not working out the way you want it to.

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

Affiliate Manager
    Hi Frank,

That is great advice! In fact I have starting reaching out to my affiliates for feedback on the program. I took over this program only two months ago and am trying to get those relationships going. As you said, some are much more receptive than others, but they know that I am here for them if they need me.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    I know that you have visited the thread mentioned above, but I would suggest that you build and put your own affiliate website out. Become an affiliate for several programs and after trying to deal with them for a while and ending up being ready to pick up your monitor and computer and throw them both into a wall you will have a very good idea of exactly what you need to do to deal with your affiliates.

The best way to learn is to experience being an affiliate yourself, and if you're lucky, you might even pick up a few extra bucks for yourself along the way.

Now - like three month later - we were informed that they have changed the tracking code for all of our links - which broke all of the links that we had just already changed.

Now all of our customers get a 404 page instead of the product they want - so no sales for us or the merchant until we change all of our links again and then wait for the SE's to sort out all of the mess and start putting up real pages again instead of 404s.

This is just one of several issues that affiliate face every day but you need to experience it for yourself to really feel what we feel.

And have fun trying to get your money from many programs. You really need to experience this for yourself.

You know what I'm saying.

One month you may make thousands of dollars and the next month nothing because of tracking, merchants don't pay you, etc.

BurgerBoy, think about using something like PHP instead of HTML. Includes would make this type of task much easier. Or, try editors like Dreamweaver that can do a search and replace of entire directories. I also use an inexpensive text editor called UltraEdit that will also do a search and replace in entire directories or even your complete hard drive. Includes are much easier to manage though since you can have 1 include file on 4,000 pages and if the link needs to change you only change that one include file.

You can PM me is you'd like some help with any of this.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Hi again alucas,

I did indeed had some Sweet Dreams, thanks.

Btw, I am in here today since about 4 a.m. reading, but who is counting?

=========================================

Includes are much easier to manage though since you can have 1 include file on 4,000 pages and if the link needs to change you only change that one include file.
    You can say that again, I totally agree.

I have a site with over 5,000 pages and all of those pages have a one line include file in it.

It's soo good to be able to just change one file and have all of those pages showing the new stuff in less than a second.

But all of my pages are HTML, I just use the .htaccess server-parsed .html thing on my root, so I can use some PHP code without any problem on any of my pages that end on .html

I also use an inexpensive text editor called UltraEdit that will also do a search and replace in entire directories or even your complete hard drive.
    Thanks for that tip xandman,

I have the UltraEdit program somewhere on my hard drive, but I did not knew that I could use it for that search and replace in the entire directories and even on my complete hard drive.

Sal.

With UltraEdit, click Search at the top and select "Replace in Files" and play with it to see what works best.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

With UltraEdit, click Search at the top and select "Replace in Files" and play with it to see what works best.
    Thanks,

I will try it tomorrow, I don't want to risk it today, yet.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread