Affiliate Manager
    A question about replacing reg codes
    Over the last year I've seen a striking increase in the number of requests from customers for a copy of their reg code. This is not surprising, since most of our customers use Windows and for most folks using Windows means discovering viruses and refomatting at least once a year.

But what is surprising is the number of people who have retained their original sales receipt email, yet have not also retained their original reg code email.

Some companies charge to replace reg codes, and I would like to avoid that. But as this problem continues to grow the number of requests is taking time away from development -- that means folks who don't keep their reg codes are slowing down the implementation of your requested features.

So I'm looking for ways to encourage people to simply retain their reg code. One option would be to charge for those customers outside of the one-year support window, which is better than some companies that charge regardless of when the purchase was made but like I said I'd prefer not to charge at all.

Any suggestions?
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

it is not very complicated to create an automated online database that may email the lost registration code upon request - similar to a very common "lost password" automated facility. upon purchase of the software, a few simple questions-and-replies must be registered which shall be the "keys" by which the registration code, already recorded in the database shall automatically be released and emailed to the proper owner.

charging anything for this simple service shall be very upsetting, unreasonable and counter-productive.

hope this helps . . .

best,
    heisje

Affiliate Manager
    Not very complicated, provided these users already have some sort of password-protected account.

But what to do for existing customers?
    Richard Gaskin

suffer silently, I suppose . . .

best,
    heisje

P.S. seriously: for old customers "password" can be the email address they used when purchasing the product.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by heisje
    seriously: for old customers "password" can be the email address they used when purchasing the product.
    That would give everyone access to the reg code belonging to anyone with a published email address.

This is one of those things that seems simple until you start to build it.

As for "suffering silently", let me repeat that I do not charge to recovering reg codes as other companies do. Moreover, my aim in exploring this here is to help keep resources here focused on product development without ever charging.

So no one who's lost a reg code suffers at all right now, nor in the future.
    Richard Gaskin

Richard, I'm sure everybody wants to help, but are stumped.

To clarify what you're looking for, is the problem in generating a new reg code, or (more likely) in the time it takes someone to manually find the customer in your database -- even though they may have a different email address or are using a slightly different form of their name than they used when they purchased/registered WM -- and verify they really are registered?

If you can tell us at what step the majority of the time is spent, perhaps someone will know of a solution.

-- Mike
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike O
    If you can tell us at what step the majority of the time is spent, perhaps someone will know of a solution.
    I appreciate the interest, Mike. I do a little automation myself <g>, so I'm familiar with those options which would address parts of the task, and feel fairly comfortable with the amount of time spent on each.

What I was exploring here was a policy or procedural change which would eliminate the task altogether.

It seems the folks here share my disdain for the practice used by some other developers of charging for the service, so unless we can find a large group of customers saying "Yes, please fee me to death like banks do!" I'll probably not go that route.

On the procedural side, I do intend to automate the generation of new reg codes next time I change the reg scheme (likely for v3.0), using the user's email as login and current reg code as password.

I guess what I was hoping for was some magic text I could include in the reg code email that reminds people to hold on to it. I have that now, but had a fantasy that there might be come key phrase that would make the user go, "Ah, I get it, this is a good thing to keep."

It has rather mystified me that about 70% of those requesting re-sent reg codes have retained their sales confirmation email.

Curious habits.....
    Richard Gaskin

http and a telephoto
    NO company has ever charged me to replace a registration code, EVER. And if a hard drive crashes, emails, including the one with your reg code are gone.

*I* have backups of emails on external drives and cd's, but that doesn't mean I can find them in the mania of recreating a drive after a crash. And other people may not know how to backup their emails.

And printed pieces of paper aren't always where you want them to be either.

Richard, perhaps you are reaching the volumn of business where you need to hire a customer service person, even part time.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    NO company has ever charged me to replace a registration code, EVER. And if a hard drive crashes, emails, including the one with your reg code are gone.
    Of course. You can let the Cap Lock key go -- I've already said several times I will not charge for replacing reg codes.

*I* have backups of emails on external drives and cd's, but that doesn't mean I can find them in the mania of recreating a drive after a crash. And other people may not know how to backup their emails.
    Of course. But the more interesting cases are those who send me their sales receipt email to prove purchase when they request their reg code. That happens with a majority of requests. Do you appreciate the irony of that?

Richard, perhaps you are reaching the volumn of business where you need to hire a customer service person, even part time.
    I work with a number of contractors for various purposes, which is usually cheaper in the long run.

This particular issue isn't so onerous that I need to throw money at it; it's more of a cognitive puzzle I was curious about, how it is that so many people will retain their sales receipt email but not their reg code email.

It seems to have been a confusing thread, so I'll close it now and delete it soon.
    Richard Gaskin

10. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread