Question Do datafeeds protect affiliates from parasiteware?
    Having gone from earning 5 figures a month doing hard work in affiliate marketing to just pennies, I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to remain successful in affiliate marketing despite the parasites out there stealing commissions from everyone.

I have not used datafeeds yet (and don't know how - primer suggestions?), but had heard that they prevent your commissions from being stolen by parasiteware.

Is there any truth to that statement? Does using datafeeds help protect honest affiliates from parasites out to steal their income?

Any help anyone can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!

TIA
    (former)topaffiliate

If you went from 5 figures to pennies, that wasn't from parasites. It sounds like you relied entirely on natural search and got a major penalty for duplicate content or some other reason.

You were misinformed. Datafeeds don't protect from parasites.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I agree with Michael. Although I am not a datafeed guru. I do use a combination of datafeeds and static pages..

I get better results from the static pages but have not worked hard enough in the datafeed area to improve my conversions...

I certainly don't see how a datafeed could prevent a parasite from stealing commish.. the end result of a datafeed is a web page and if a parasite is present on the browsers pc.... nothing the datafeed can do...

I mispoke - I meant to pennies a day (really more in the ballpark of having gone from 5 figures per month to around $1000-$2000 at best per month).

Yes, I rely solely on natural search, but when traffic hasn't dropped yet income disappears how can that not be from parasiteware? I've been doing this since 1999 and my income has been plummeting for at least a year and a half now and there have been many months where my sites were still receiving steady traffic from the search engines for sponsors that previously performed well for me and yet no longer convert to any sales. THAT has got to be from parasiteware. Unfortunately, my SE traffic got hit hard in the last 2 months or so, but my income has been problematic for ages now. As I have to pretty much rebuild from scratch, I was looking for a way to do it where I wouldn't have my commissions stolen out from under me. Thought maybe datafeeds would be the answer if you could use php to create dynamic pages, but I guess not.

And that is a real bummer that using datafeeds won't make a difference at all. Thanks for saving me the time of the huge learning curve for little payback.

It could also be a shift in your traffic, changes with the merchants, etc. Many things have changed over the years.

One of my favorites in 1999 was Drugstore.com. I think they paid at least $10 per new customer and 10% commissions, plus they had some tremendous consumer promotions. Now, I think they pay $3 per new customer and 10% commissions, new customers are much harder to find, and their promotions are nowhere near as good. Many other merchants have similar stories, as they moved from the "new customers at any cost" era of the late 90's to the "we have to make a profit" era of today.

Also, you might be seeing more competition with your more profitable merchants. You might be growing traffic for your less profitable pages and competitors are pulling away more traffic from your more profitable pages.

Once a web site reaches a certain point, it stops growing and starts declining if you're not continually doing new things to increase the traffic. You have to continually be improving and building new things if you don't want to see a decline.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I used to rely on natural SEO affiliate sites exclusively but have been making a concerted effort over the past 18 months to diversify. For me, that's included:
    dropshipping deals
    affiliate program management
    direct deals with merchants that have no aff program
    PPC
    capturing visitor info to create mailing lists
    joint venture deals with partners

All these together have helped me to start weaning myself away from organic search traffic. I still get most of my traffic that way but the mood swings of Google are getting less and less monumental to me.

Good luck,
    Ross

thanks to everybody for the suggestions!

Ross --could you send me a PM with some info on how you set up the drop shipping deals, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Hi topaffiliate

I hope you got the email addresses over the last 6 years

rmjvol
    direct deals with merchants that have no aff program
    Are these finders fees or advertising deals? If finders fees, can you share any suggestions?

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread