data feeds to blog automated... why do they think it will be different??
    Interesting that when datafeeds came out everyone dived on it.. and before long the engines were filled up with thousands of the same pages intill google started kicking them out.

many people stopped doing datafeeds.

recently there has been a new surge of people doing it.. but this time having datafeeds turned into html and then posted automatically 1 or 2 products a day to a blog

one setup and it continues to do it..

while i see some advantages with this.. question remains

why do people think this will be any different.. give it 6 months to year and the engines will be filled up with duplicate blogs.. the same content, same images etc etc...

so whats your thoughts on this???

Your right, if the engines don't like it they will eventually find a way to dump it. Some people just don't bother to look at the big picture. They just want to find a way to make some quick easy money. When it doesn't work anymore they will try something else. Sad part is that a lot of good sites get lost along the way because of it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    many people stopped doing datafeeds.
    Causing the ones who did not stop, to rise in the engines by default. Maybe the rest of the competition will go blow, too!

As for the blogs, I'm surprised that stuff ranks to begin with, unless they're getting links in somehow.

When I put some UNIQUE product pitches on a blog, I found that the same issues with competition, links, etc. as with a standard site. Certainly wasn't a matter of blog posts automatically equaling a #1! Sure, they "index" blogs well, but being RANKED in a visible spot is another matter, in competitive categories.

I haven't tried rolling a feed directly into a blog yet, but it seems that it'd already have some inherant issues to deal with, like:

How to make yours show higher than the other zillion that are trying the same thing with the same merchant,
    and
    How to get 100,000 products up before Blazes stops blazing.

@Jane

Sad part is that a lot of good sites get lost along the way because of it.
    How would any good site get "lost" because of it? Or are you basically saying that they get buried in the SERPs? If so, then such is competition...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Remember that datafeed sites getting axed in google is just a myth. There are an equal amount of datafeed sites that haven't suffered at all.

Smile
    I believe if Google hasn't axed all the static datafeed sites yet, they will in due time. The problem isn't necessarily with the content itself, but with what's done with it. To effectively use a datafeed, one needs to add considerable value to even catch the attention of a buyer. For example, Pricegrabber, Bizrate, and Shopping.com all use datafeeds in an effective and valuable manner. Google is getting smarter and is learning what sites generate word of mouth traffic and which sites don't. If your site isn't generating some sort of buzz, Google won't give you much merit. If your goal is to beat the engine without offering some true value you'll be gaining and losing positions for as long as you continue to ignore your potential return visitors.

Get somebody to return to your site with their friends and you'll won't need to worry so much about search engine traffic.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Dogma alert, dogma alert! Dogma spotted directly above!!
    Initiating Rebuttal!

To effectively use a datafeed, one needs to add considerable value to even catch the attention of a buyer.
    100% bull. Practically any kind of sales-oriented affiliate site that happens to get in the top spots of Google, Yahoo, or MSN will catch the buyers' attention! That's what they can find--it's either use the top listed sites, or Go Fish.

Doing "more" almost always just makes the webmaster feel special about themselves. Buyers of most product types couldn't give a rat's patootie. Just as long as the site's not so darned ugly that it scares them away, and it has a link to what they were searching for (some spin on top usually helps, too), that'll do.

For example, Pricegrabber, Bizrate, and Shopping.com all use datafeeds in an effective and valuable manner.
    As valuable as a box o' rocks

Try as you like, the fact remains that I'm not the only one that doesn't find it valuable in the least, to know that StoreX is 1c cheaper than StoreY. The "comparison" model is not, and never will be, the only way to be successful with feeds.

If your goal is to beat the engine without offering some true value you'll be gaining and losing positions for as long as you continue to ignore your potential return visitors.
    And if you don't do that, your positions will still fluctuate in exactly the same way! With maybe one difference: Without beating the engines, you might not notice the fluctuations. After all, who can tell the difference between listing #100,000 and Listing #1 million?!?

Get somebody to return to your site with their friends and you'll won't need to worry so much about search engine traffic.
    While true, you need to get seen in the first place in order to get that ball rolling.

I'm running out of arguments here!

Let me tell you about my first website. It wasn't until I'd been online for 4 years or so before I realized the power of search engine traffic. Before that I maintained several thousand visitors per day all through link exchanges and word of mouth. People used my site because they liked it. The after effect of this was good search engine rankings. If you've got something good, it'll get discovered one way or another. Here's a recent example:

http://lionvs40midgets.uk-directory.com/

Somebody created this fake article to win an argument with his friend, but somehow out of a small number of people this article got out and spread like a virus through the internet. I know it's difficult to do this with products, but it's certainly possible if you build the right combination.

- Scott
    Last edited by Snib; May 26th, 2005 at 03:02 AM.
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

It wasn't until I'd been online for 4 years or so before I realized the power of search engine traffic. Before that I maintained several thousand visitors per day all through link exchanges and word of mouth. People used my site because they liked it. The after effect of this was good search engine rankings.
    I'd been online for a while too, before rankings in free engines came. Only, unlike you, before I got ranks in the free engines, I used advertising, in what was then GoTo. C*ntent was never my king, so when the free engines weren't enamoured with my site, I found the paid engines, which would be duly enamoured with money...

Ironically, I got my free SERP ranks directly because GoTo started being a total &*(%*. They started rejecting pages that didn't meet their "guidelines," which became pickier and pickier. So I had made pages that would pass their human editors. Turns out that a page which complied with their guidelines, was also a perfect dead-on crack of the algo Google was using at the time! Suddenly I found my pages on top, without having given a second thought to what Google wanted one way or the other.

So when GoTo's "guidelines" became a farce and they started arbitrarily rejecting my attempts to buy listings (despite the pages being totally "compliant"), it was quite easy to tell them where to shove it. They had actually rejected a page of mine where I was the ONLY paid listing! It was a simple matter to adapt that page from Google's to Inktomi's algo and therefore regain my #1 in GoTo...only then it was for FREE! Heh heh heh

As for the current situation, underneath all that Google and the other engines say and do is still just an ALGO...and algos can all be cracked by their very nature! It's just a matter of locking onto where the target moved to. I do not believe that bending over to what Google says it wants is the way to hit that target, either.

Somebody created this fake article to win an argument with his friend, but somehow out of a small number of people this article got out and spread like a virus through the internet. I know it's difficult to do this with products, but it's certainly possible if you build the right combination.
    The only products I've seen truly spread virally, without the benefit of an advertising campaign, are goofball products. And on the other end of the spectrum, high-tech stuff like the latest cell phone. But the run-of-the-mill "consumer good" just isn't all THAT interesting...

And people coming to my SITE because IT ITSELF is interesting, would mean that I was not actually attracting buyers, but people looking for a way to kill time. "Maybe" they'll buy is not an acceptable proposition to me. "Maybe" is just pie-in-the-sky stuff. They should be on my sales sites specifically TO BUY--and for no other reason! I'm not in the entertainment or education business! They can spend their time on Wikipedia...and spend their money at MySite.com...

I see no need to reinvent the wheel, especially since it still rolls perfectly well with actual human consumers. There's no point in having traffic if you have to destroy your site's sales efficacy in order to get it. What traffic I get, converts. Getting nonbuying traffic from Google or viral marketing, even millions of hits of it, is not what I want to do. "Maybe" they'll buy "sometime" (if the moon is right and the Emperor of Japan shaved today), is not a possibility that I find valuable.

How would any good site get "lost" because of it? Or are you basically saying that they get buried in the SERPs? If so, then such is competition...

Yes they get buried in the serps. It used to be very easy to get a site on the first page of google with standard SEO. People took advantage of it and went way above the standard and got spammy. Google had to change the algo and decided to start counting links in. People started doing link exchanges so google again had to get smarter. If the links are only exchanges, if the links show up too fast the algo assumes they must be spam. Usually they are, but what if you have a great site that everyone naturally links to? (probably not a sales site) Because of the way the algo is set you may get demoted because the links come in too fast. Spam causes the algo to change and it is quite possible for good sites to be buried because of it. Spammers don't care, they go for the quick easy money and change with the algo. Googles ultimate goal is to make it impossible for webmasters to have any control over rankings. Remember way back, when people used to key their pages to come up in searches for popular search terms that weren't even related to the content of their page?

Email spammers went overboard trying to make the easy money. Now we have spam laws. Who knows maybe eventually they will start fining people for spamming the search engines.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane
    Who knows maybe eventually they will start fining people for spamming the search engines.
    You are being charged with publishing 100,000 pages in a single day and expecting search engine spiders to gobble it up, disrupting search services to individuals the world over.

You have the right to remain silent...

@ Jane--just as I thought: Sour grapes. Like I said before, such is competition--and I have no sympathy for search positions below mine!

Quote Originally Posted by weisinator
    You are being charged with publishing 100,000 pages in a single day and expecting search engine spiders to gobble it up, disrupting search services to individuals the world over.

You have the right to remain silent...

LOL

I would wrap myself tightly in the 1st Amendment and appeal such a thing all the way to the Supreme Court. I have as much right to try to get my 100,000 pages indexed, as G has to not index them...regardless of whether it takes me 5 minutes or 500 years to make them!

Sour grapes, no. I still made the same amount of money last year as the year before and am on track for the same this year. Though I really havent done any work in the past 6 months and quite a few of my google listings were trashed the first of 2004. The fun went out of the game when google stopped the monthly updates though. Sure making money is nice but tweaking a page and being able to see a response with every update was where the fun was. Now the stuff just sits there, the money rolls in and it isn't much of a challange.

But the original question was, why do they do it. The answer remains the same, to make some quick fast money. If it dies in 6 months who cares, just start over.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Causing the ones who did not stop, to rise in the engines by default. Maybe the rest of the competition will go blow, too!

As for the blogs, I'm surprised that stuff ranks to begin with, unless they're getting links in somehow.

When I put some UNIQUE product pitches on a blog, I found that the same issues with competition, links, etc. as with a standard site. Certainly wasn't a matter of blog posts automatically equaling a #1! Sure, they "index" blogs well, but being RANKED in a visible spot is another matter, in competitive categories.

I haven't tried rolling a feed directly into a blog yet, but it seems that it'd already have some inherant issues to deal with, like:

How to make yours show higher than the other zillion that are trying the same thing with the same merchant,
    and
    How to get 100,000 products up before Blazes stops blazing.

@Jane

You'll find Leader is the Leader in playing grey marketing games at ABW. If it can be used to whack the SERPs, regardless of ethics, there is Leader at the top of the game. You'll never see or hear of Leader Outing click tricksters or Serp spamming routines. As long as they don't get heat or classified as illegal ...Leader is there. How about dropping a few of your domain names as a model for the ABW community. OH I forgot about the standard copycat cop-out.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread