Do You ever just feel like screaming out loud
    What a day I am sure others have had it worse but...

Around Christmas I ordered a few laptops from de** a few arrived doa between a few weeks of tech support and sending a few back it seems that the hard drives were failing. I guess they got a bad batch.

All was fine until yesterday when one failed after about only 10 hours of use. Support tells me that I have to buy a new one that the warranty expires after 90 days. The replacement part comes with no warranty! The thing was so new I didn't even have time to put data on it to lose it so I didn't lose anything.

I can see me writing to the editors at pcworld already.

My direct tv is not working right, my dsl connection stinks, a page rank penalty etc.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Go to bed... maybe tomorrow will be better. Kind of hasta be!

If you're vocal enough, I'm sure they'll make good on it.

You might also check the lemon laws in your state. They might end up having to replace the entire computer if you have repeated problems.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The worst part of this is that they no longer give you a windows xp disc when you get a laptop. It is backed up stored on the harddrive so when a hard drive fails you are plain out of luck, They had to send me a drivers cd and a windows xp disc and I have to install.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You'll find the De** refurbs have less DOA problems then the new ones. Same for certain models of IBM thinkpads. Sound like a real bummer nyfalcon
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Obviously, those stuffs are not doing well...
    Better ask someone who knows a lot about PC whenever you're planning to buy new one.

After posting this last week my dsl line went out - been doing dial up for a week and a half. To the affilaite managers I have been working closely with this has hurt my production. I let a domain host expire, tore apart a mall site, just all at once lol

the dells were new and I am replacing the hard drive at my own expense I* will worry about it later, messing with dell is a pain but I have my own small business contact there I just have to place a call. I need the laptop in the meantime though

yep, sounds like a cruddy day. I had a bad one too yesterday. I would just chalk it up to a bad day and move on, the next one is always bounds to be better.

My husband decided to point out how ridiculous my complaining was. I didn't appreciate hearing it at the time, but I couldn't deny how much sense it made to me. Here's what he said...

"Babe, do you have ANY idea how many people a few oceans away pray on a daily basis just to have clean water and food to feed their kids? That makes computer issues so non-important."

Can you imagine how ungratefull I felt? Hmmm, I'm still getting over the guilt a whole 24 hours later.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    The worst part of this is that they no longer give you a windows xp disc when you get a laptop. It is backed up stored on the harddrive so when a hard drive fails you are plain out of luck, They had to send me a drivers cd and a windows xp disc and I have to install.
    Sadly, that's becoming a common practice. I find it unacceptable, esp. with a platform known for needing to reformat periodically.

I'm sorry you've had that much trouble. FWIW I've had similar experiences with HP -- seems to be common in the clone world.

Time to consider Linux? At least you'd save the OS cost, and you always know where to get a hassle-free (and cost-free) CD.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by danay
    yep, sounds like a cruddy day. I had a bad one too yesterday. I would just chalk it up to a bad day and move on, the next one is always bounds to be better.

My husband decided to point out how ridiculous my complaining was. I didn't appreciate hearing it at the time, but I couldn't deny how much sense it made to me. Here's what he said...

"Babe, do you have ANY idea how many people a few oceans away pray on a daily basis just to have clean water and food to feed their kids? That makes computer issues so non-important."

Can you imagine how ungratefull I felt? Hmmm, I'm still getting over the guilt a whole 24 hours later.
    Hi danay,

Tell your husband thanks on my behalf.

I like to see when other people too, think about the idea of how many people a few oceans away pray on a daily basis just to have clean water and food to feed their kids and at least try to survive what they're going through until their living nightmare is over.

It's too bad that some people, don't realize or don't even care that sometimes with the things they say or do, that they're prolonging those people nightmares. (Sorry, I was getting carried away with my own thoughts.)

Just tell your husband I say Thanks.

Sal.

I feel your pain on the laptops.. As a net-admin in my day job I have to support about 50 de** laptops for our sales staff.. I've also bought a refurb for myself and never had a glitch.

I will say this, their support has gone slowly downhill BUT if you bump up to the complete care you won't be dissapointed.. I've had about 6 modems, 3 lcd's and about a dozen hd's replaced.. You even get support from the good old USA

Some units slipped by without me getting it and I tell ya, wait times and language barriers in whatever country (assuming India) are enough to make me boil over..

Anywhoooo, fwiw I agree about being vocal.. After one of my overseas support calls I got a support survey phone call.. Ohhhhhhhhhh let the ranting begin.. Two days later my sales rep called me because I had said in the survey that because of the support I would not recommend or buy them again.. Mind you, this is after buying 50 laptops and about 250k in servers..
    He said he would make it right for us and I told him it was too late, I didn't expect special service because of our volume and they should treat everyone the same no matter how much they spend..

I like to think that if enough people complain change will happen so get that wheel a sqeakin for your h/d's and maybe next time you will have better luck :-)

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread