Dear Allen Nance:

Happy Holiday's from NORDSTROM.com!

Recently, over the last couple of weeks we have made some updates to the Nordstrom Direct, Inc Affiliate Program. I'd like to invite you to review these updates and let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

On Dec 6th, 2002 the following has gone into effect.

Affiliate Policy Update: The following changes have been added to the Nordstrom Affiliate Policy

- Program Enrollment Paragraph section H: We will no longer be accepting sites or allowing current affiliate sites that contain software downloads that potentially enable diversions of commissions from other sites in our program.

- Agreements Following Acceptance section 10: You may not purchase any Nordstrom keyword or variation thereof on any search related site.

Feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have at affiliates@nordstrom.com.

Regards,

The NORDSTROM.com Affiliate Team

quote:
    Originally posted by Gearshopper:
    Dear Allen Nance:

Happy Holiday's from NORDSTROM.com!

Recently, over the last couple of weeks we have made some updates to the Nordstrom Direct, Inc Affiliate Program. I'd like to invite you to review these updates and let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

On Dec 6th, 2002 the following has gone into effect.

Affiliate Policy Update: The following changes have been added to the Nordstrom Affiliate Policy

- Program Enrollment Paragraph section H: We will no longer be accepting sites or allowing current affiliate sites that contain software downloads that potentially enable diversions of commissions from other sites in our program.

- Agreements Following Acceptance section 10: You may not purchase any Nordstrom keyword or variation thereof on any search related site.

Feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have at affiliates@nordstrom.com.

Regards,

The NORDSTROM.com Affiliate Team

I have written the affiliate manager asking why Ebates is still showing up and am awaiting for a reply. But it looks like they are taking a stand.

Allen Nance

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Very glad to see a recognized Brick-n-Mortar chair department store take this pro-affiliates stance.

WebMaster Mike

"Vision without Action is a daydream .. Action without vision can be a nightmare"
    Combine the two and you have the makings of a profitable reality!

Slowly but surely the parasites will not have any links to pilfer.

WTG Nordstrom!

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

quote:

Now THAT'S a standard.

- Ed

"It's my hope that you'll come to appreciate the past should not be forgotten. It should be cherished, and run late-night, in syndication, after the local news." (Orange County)

Way to go Nordstrom!

Jason

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

It's easy to see why Nordstrom is at the top of its class in retail sales.

Thank you for doing the right thing!

Andy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

quote:
    Originally posted by Andy:
    It's easy to see why Nordstrom is at the top of its class in retail sales.

Yes, they're proactive vs. reactive - they could have waited until there were no affiliates adding new links to them and kicked out the parasites then, but it's much more intelligent and good for long-term profitability to take the right stance as soon as the writing is clear on the wall.

They obviously saw that the termites were eating away the base of their future affiliate growth and gave them a good dose of pest repellent before that wall came down. Essentially too, they're saying that if you possess the weapon that you're likely to use it at some point so you're out too. They know too, no doubt, that the other large retailers will likely take years longer to even notice the problem and continue to believe that those skewed sales are new sales.

Edit: Was there someone working on posting a list of merchants that are still in bed with the parasites? I know Backcountry posted a fairly long sports related list.

Thank you enormously Nordstrom!! This makes me feel MUCH better about sending business to you for the holidays!

With my best,

Liz
    http://Styleforfree.com

ABW Ambassador
    Gosh, everyone, why all the kudos when there's no meat to this announcement? How many times have we heard merchants claim that they are opposed to parasiteware, only to continue to support parasitic affiliates? I've lost count myself.

Frankly, I think this announcement is shameful considering Nordstrom's affiliation with Ebates. In fact, I just received an email from Ebates that included:

"3% Cash Discount
    FREE SHIPPING! Just in Time for the Holidays! For a limited time only-get Free Shipping on all orders of $100 or more. See details at NORDSTROM.com."

While I do not know for sure, I would suspect that merchants featured in Ebates emails are paying for this, especially since sometimes these emails feature only one merchant.

Let's hold the attaboys until Nordstrom drops Ebates.

quote:
    Originally posted by BiddingForTravel.com:

Let's hold the attaboys until Nordstrom drops Ebates.

I wrote Nordstrom on Friday evening voiceing my concerns. They replied to me personally Mon morning to let me know the announcement was coming.

I have faith they will do the right thing.

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But if the arrow is straight and the point is slick,
    It can pierce through dust no matter how thick. dylan

quote:
    Originally posted by BiddingForTravel.com:
    Gosh, everyone, why all the kudos when there's no meat to this announcement? How many times have we heard merchants claim that they are opposed to parasiteware, only to continue to support parasitic affiliates?...Let's hold the attaboys until Nordstrom drops Ebates.

They just announced a change in their agreement, I doubt they could clean out the references by any one (especially a tenacious one) affiliate that no longer is in compliance in that short a time - saying one is "opposed to" is not in the same league as changing the affiliate agreement making them out of compliance, so I don't really think the kudos are misplaced. In fact, holding them back would not seem appropriate - merchants are people too and it does feel good to be applauded for taking a positive track.

ABW Ambassador
    Anyone heard back from Nordstrom's as to their affiliate relationship with Ebates?

ABW Ambassador
    How do Nordstrom's supporters feel at this point since they have not shown any indication that they are terminating Ebates?

Haiko, I'm particularly interested in how you feel about this.

ABW Ambassador
    I appluad their letter and will applaud them more if they adhear to thier terms.

It still doesn't mean I'm going to be marketing them agressively anytime soon with a zero cookie policy.

ABW Ambassador
    My sales with them have sucked this month. I went to ebates to take a look and guess what.....

The "anti-parasite" posture must have flown the coop. The are on Ebates and not as a coupon only merchant.

I see where Ebates is once again overwriting affiliate links as well so for you people promoting them you might want to re-consider!

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread