Thumbs down Connection refused when attempting to contact www.qksrv.net
    I've had a few visitors complain that my CJ links aren't performing correctly. One visitor gave me this error:

"Connection refused when attempting to contact www.qksrv.net"

I'm also seeing a lot more clicks in my statistics than are being reported in CJ. For example I recorded 16 clicks in one instance while CJ reported 6. This number used to be completely accurate, but not the past couple days.

My guess is the problem has to do with CJ's weird domains, DNS and too many redirects. Something is seriously wrong, and I hope CJ is aware of this problem and it's intermittent nature.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

From what I've seen, it's usually due to ad blockers like Norton and programs that block ads through the "hosts" file (like Kazaa Lite). Well over 90% of the people who report broken links to me have had one of those problems. The "hosts" file is the most common. This affects all networks, although CJ has improved things with the other domains. You might want to switch your qksrv.net links to one of their other random domains.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

That's the thing though. The link starts out as something different. qksrv.net is just a url in the middle of the long redirect sequence. I can't post what the domain starts out as, but it's not qksrv.net.

- Scott

[You're not allowed to list the new domain names here. They'll just get changed to asterisks.]

That's pretty useless. I didn't realize CJ did that. I guess they kind of have to, if they're going to set a cookie. I don't see how the new domains provide any benefit, then.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Exactly, there's no need to go through so many redirects. My internet connection is a little slow here so I can watch in the lower left as the domain iterates through at least 3 or 4 different domains before finding the final destination. I'm guessing it has to do with setting the cookies. They may want to set the cookie with multiple domains to ensure redundancy.

- Scott

I agree, I can't imagine why it is neccessary to have so many redirects, it's just more points of failure and slows things down significantly for users on connections with high latency such as 56k and satellite

Current configuration of name servers for www.RANDOM-DOMAINs.net don't solve 'hosts' problem with qksrv.net

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    It doesn't solve the poisoned hosts file syndrome, but it DOES route around Norton's blocking of qksrv.net

I like traffic lights
    Correction, it does route around Norton's blocking of qksrv.net AS LONG AS THE MERCHANTS ALSO UPDATE THEIR SHOPPING CARTS.

If the merchant fails to replace qksrv.net with one of the other domains on the transaction thank-you page, you still don't get any money.

Does anyone know if eBay has finally changed their bid confirmation page from qksrv.net. Last time I looked, it was still qksrv.net and that was MONTHS after they had been asked to change it.

for the HOSTS problem, why dont they just use wildcard DNS, and have it go to a randomly generated subdomain

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    Correction, it does route around Norton's blocking of qksrv.net AS LONG AS THE MERCHANTS ALSO UPDATE THEIR SHOPPING CARTS.

If the merchant fails to replace qksrv.net with one of the other domains on the transaction thank-you page, you still don't get any money.

Does anyone know if eBay has finally changed their bid confirmation page from qksrv.net. Last time I looked, it was still qksrv.net and that was MONTHS after they had been asked to change it.
    Seems like the CJ mechant would have to place ALL the new CJ domains into their shopping cart final checkout page. Imagine the loss sales if the merchant runs a Yahoo storefront as they can't get to the final heckout page HTML.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I noticed a merchant I was (formerly) promoting , tabletools.com, wouldnt allow me to checkout when I visited their site through a CJ link.

I like traffic lights
    >Seems like the CJ mechant would have to place ALL the new CJ domains

Nope. Just one. Pick one, any one.

This is just to get qksrv.net out of the HTML stream, which is where Nortons is looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by pstation
    for the HOSTS problem, why dont they just use wildcard DNS, and have it go to a randomly generated subdomain
    Hmmm, that sounds like it could work. When I first read it, I thought it wouldn't, but now I think it could.

Todd? You might have your techies look into this.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Quote Originally Posted by pstation
    It's a good idea. I know we looked into it but cannot remember why we decided against it.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

couldn't they just block all the subdomains in one fell swoop that way?
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

I don't think they could in the "hosts" file. I'm pretty sure it has to be an exact match to override DNS there.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I like traffic lights
    We discussed this option here when poisoned hosts files were first discussed.

The problem with it is the need to always use the same domain for the cookie, IIRC.

Not necessarily. You can set a ".mydomain.com" cookie from "onesub.mydomain.com" and access it from "anothersub.mydomain.com". (If you set it as "onesub.mydomain.com", you can't.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I've had a few visitors complain that my CJ links aren't performing correctly. One visitor gave me this error:

"Connection refused when attempting to contact www.qksrv.net"

I'm also seeing a lot more clicks in my statistics than are being reported in CJ. For example I recorded 16 clicks in one instance while CJ reported 6. This number used to be completely accurate, but not the past couple days.

My guess is the problem has to do with CJ's weird domains, DNS and too many redirects. Something is seriously wrong, and I hope CJ is aware of this problem and it's intermittent nature.

- Scott
    I got three e-mails about this exact error message today from three visitors. I have never had complaints before. This must be a problem that is getting worse. By the way, it's with the new urls.

I like traffic lights
    Poisoned HOSTS files first discussed November 2002...

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=1163

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=1332

Here, we discuss ways of detecting if someone has qksrv.net blocked...

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=17371

I've been using this script on one of my sites for quite some time. I should really modify it so it warns people they have a poisoned hosts file and bring up instructions on how to remove it.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=17373 has stats and some stuff about non-CJ problems.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=2128

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=1675

I found this in a search and it works quite well:

If you are having problem using (Cannot Find Server or This page cannot be displayed) or seeing some of the links present on our website, try the following fix.
    Hosts File Fix

If you or another program (Usually Kazaa or Spybot Advanced Mode Tools) have added web sites to block by changing a special file called hosts, you may have blocked access to some servers that we use in our links to help you SAVE money. Some Spyware will modify your Hosts file to redirect you to their web sites.

Open 'My Computer' or 'Windows Explorer' then navigate to the following directory and filename:

Windows 95/98/ME: c:\windows\hosts
    Windows XP Home/Pro: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Windows NT or 2000: c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Highlight the file, hit F2 to change its name from Hosts to Hosts.bak, then try the links again. Alternately your can open the Hosts file with a text editor like Notepad. You can open the HOSTS file by right-clicking on hosts and selecting "Open with". Then select Notepad.

Ensure that any following lines are not present in the file by removing the entire line or putting a # in front of the line, if an entry is

bfast.com
    cc-dt.com
    click.linksynergy.com
    clickserve.cc-dt.com
    www.commission-junction.com
    linksynergy.com
    myaffiliateprogram.com
    qksrv.net
    service.bfast.com
    www.qksrv.net
    www.************
    www.************