Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Figuring out G..
    Has anyone seen this?
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/29563.htm

"Scrapper sites using Y feeds! Those with affected rank (and major decline in G traffic), check the amount of incoming links to your site (on G) and you’ll notice an exponential increase in the number of incoming links. If your site enjoy top position on Y, chances are your link will end up on thousand upon thousand of scrappers and doorway pages (as a result of those web sites using the Y feeds)."

I'd love to read the ABWers opinion's on this theory..

ABW Ambassador
    DMOZ allows one to publish their directory. When one gets a site listed in dmoz, it looks like the site has thousands of links within two months.

Why is Yahoo's RSS different?

good point.. but it's a lot easier to plop an RSS feed into a static HTML page then add the DMOZ directory.. isnt it?

ABW Ambassador
    RSS != static. You have to do some back end coding so it looks static.

I've never messed with the DMOZ directory, I've never cared enough.

I have a couple sites that are on a ton of scraper sites...I get refferals from them occasionally. I can't tell what its doing to my rankings.
    My traffic goes up on one site then down then up on another....

I have read that google sandboxes new links in. Which from what I've seen is true. I was ranking on the first page of yahoo and msn for some competitive terms but now I've been knocked down the past 3 weeks or so, but it doesn't look as though scraper sites have replaced my spots.

Theoretically the more one way links in should raise your rankings as long as they are not acquired so quickly - theoretically--but others debate the rate of link acquisition.

Sometimes I feel like I'm just a mouse on the tread mill .
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

we have a new tool at Backcountry that allows affiliates to use a php file with their HTML template wrapped around it.. this php basically 'reads' the RSS feed of top sellers, etc. and spits out the indexible content. you don't think scraper software is doing something similar?

suzigeek,

If you acquire high positions in Yahoo! all of a sudden.. for example, by purchasing a directory listing for 299, ..you could get picked up easily by the srapers who never found your title/description/href content before.. backlinks could triple in a month.. i find that Webmasterworld thread Very intriguing

ABW Ambassador
    How do I find out if my site has been scraped?

search for your domain in google:

..like: http://www.google.com/search?q=mydomain

or use link:www.mydomain.com as the search..

dig about 10 pages deep in the results and see who's linking to you. If it's a no name site posing as a 'directory' ..and all they have is content that consists of SE results.. ie, title, description and link, that's one of the culprits. this thread died in webmasterworld.com and i can't understand why. makes pretty good sense to me... and this is from my own personal experience as a webmaster/affiliate.

Yahoo!'s syndication of their stuff makes me nervous.. this could be helping these scraper jokers get by.

anyone?

I for one would like more spirited discussion on the possibility.

GBM

ABW Ambassador
    "If you acquire high positions in Yahoo! all of a sudden.. for example, by purchasing a directory listing for 299,"

That hasn't worked for awhile now. Really a waste of money. Scrapers will eventually end up where they belong.

I Trust! and hope.. question: how long have 'scraper' sites been hijacking content?

ABW Ambassador
    Don't know for sure, but it seems like they're blossoming right now. Probably because Google has been letting it slide. Scrape something, throw up some Adsense. I remember a thread at Webmasterworld about this and the Google Adsense guy was silent. I know Chet said he used to report it and they used to handle it pretty quickly, now they do nothing.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by gmarcoccia
    search for your domain in google:

..like: http://www.google.com/search?q=mydomain

or use link:www.mydomain.com as the search..

dig about 10 pages deep in the results and see who's linking to you. If it's a no name site posing as a 'directory' ..and all they have is content that consists of SE results.. ie, title, description and link, that's one of the culprits. this thread died in webmasterworld.com and i can't understand why. makes pretty good sense to me... and this is from my own personal experience as a webmaster/affiliate.

Yahoo!'s syndication of their stuff makes me nervous.. this could be helping these scraper jokers get by.

anyone?

I for one would like more spirited discussion on the possibility.

GBM
    Thanks so much - I will give this a try!

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread