The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    New CJ Merchant
    Was contacted today outside of CJ by a new merchant.

http://www.unbeatablesale.com/

Anyone want to give him an opinion of the size of his toll free numbers (which I think take up 1/3 the page) which he believes...

Which website are you referring to that has a phone # 1/3 of the page -

Unbeatablesale.com?

If so, we need to show the phone # bec. It instills in our customers confidence. Besides, any retail website that you can show me today that does not display the phone number prominently?
    This post not meant to be a rant. Just asking

15 years and counting
    I'm sure he doesn't want the customer to miss the toll free number. It's at the top AND bottom of the page, too. And, as I understand, there's no commission on phone orders. He's going to learn one day or another how to do business with affiliates. For now, it's premature.

Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    Amen Zeus...

I'm sure this guy will get some newbies to sign up for his program, but I seriously doubt any established affiliates will even consider him. Plus I looked up his domain name and found that he registered last September, which means he's only been in business for max 8-9 months. If you're a new merchant and want to recruit serious affiliates, you don't post your 800 number in 16 pt font on the top and bottom of every page of your site. This guy will learn the hard way that people in this business aren't stupid!

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    If so, we need to show the phone # bec. It instills in our customers confidence. Besides, any retail website that you can show me today that does not display the phone number prominently?
    Humm, I just checked out a little retail website and couldnít find a phone number prominently displayed on the home page. What was that site??? Was it Rainforest??- no ,that wasnít it. Mississippi? Ėno, not that either. What was that site? Oh, Amazon, thatís it! Iím sure without that phone number, they wonít do any business and will be gone in a month or two.
    But are you still master of your domain?

Since you made me look, I looked.

The toll free number don't bother me that much because the (36) last two digits are difficult to read.

But since they use flash, I am not interested any longer.

I try not to join any new merchant anywhere, if when I visit their site before I join, they greet me with an ActiveX Prompt.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I sent him here for an opinion other then mine.

Off to Laughlin (our version of the Poconos) to see Gallagher, then Disneyland.

Have a nice holiday all.

Internet Cowboy
    Phone number too big and "in your face" on every page. Also they encourage bulk sales but you MUST call in for those.
    If so, we need to show the phone # bec. It instills in our customers confidence.
    Horse Hockey!
    Besides, any retail website that you can show me today that does not display the phone number prominently?
    Thousands of them. Shall I list them?
    I predict they will leave CJ because they can't get enough affiliates generating enough sales to cover the minimum network fees. Either that or they will become more affiliate friendly and will do well. Their future is in their own hands.

I did a quick search for them in the world of parasites. To their credit that search came up negative.

I'll pass for now, thanks! Best of luck to them just the same.

I agree. If you believe you must display your number then you should have a way to track the orders. I don't think it's wrong to show your phone number but if you want serious affiliates then you need to track affiliate referrals-all of them. The bulk orders are likely sizable and the way it is now, the referrer loses out. Not a good plan.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I did a quick search for them in the world of parasites. To their credit that search came up negative.
    Fleas don't jump onto dead dogs.

It instills in our customers confidence. Besides, any retail website that you can show me today that does not display the phone number prominently?
    Judging by the "accent" I detect in that writing, it may indeed be possible that he has misinterpreted just how prominent, "prominently" should be.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I looked and the top three sellers are pretty expensive items. Would be hard (for me anyway) to promote this particular site. I am not one that does well with expensive items, which is a real disappointment.

Does anyone else do well with higher priced products?

Points well taken - unbeatablesale.com
    Ok. you got our attention (http://site.unbeatablesale.com). We are considering reducing the size of the Phone # so that we can foster a good relationship with Top affiliates.

Quick question:
    Is it all about size bec. would like to bring to your attention:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/ - the phone # is obviously Prominently displayed.

BTW.
    We have over 6500 items. Not all of them are "pretty expensive items". Most of them are less than that.

Unbeatablesale AMT

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbeatable
    Ok. you got our attention (http://site.unbeatablesale.com). We are considering reducing the size of the Phone # so that we can foster a good relationship with Top affiliates.

Quick question:
    Is it all about size bec. would like to bring to your attention:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/ - the phone # is obviously Prominently displayed.
    It isn't all about size, it's all about tracking. You need to implement a system where the phoned in sales are tracked to the referring affiliate site.

And if you search for Tiger Direct here you will see they are not a good example to cite.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Coming from the catalog world where over 80% of the orders are by phone I am sensitive to tracking using unique phone #'s. However things are a little different in 2005. I would like to share with you the statistics. See here: http://www.internetretailer.com/dailynews.asp?id=15057

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbeatable
    Coming from the catalog world where over 80% of the orders are by phone I am sensitive to tracking using unique phone #'s. However things are a little different in 2005. I would like to share with you the statistics. See here: http://www.internetretailer.com/dailynews.asp?id=15057

"Many catalog companies still consider phone customers the most valuable even though that market segment is shrinking, McClanan says."

"Traditional catalog marketers are growing only between 1% and 2% a year while Internet retail is growing at almost 30% a year, McClanan says."

Don't think you need a different line for each affiliate, just a method to track the referral. For example, if the referrers site id is in your url, your phone people would ask for that number. I wouldn't plan your site according to TigerDirect, they ruined their reputation with affiliates. When Andy was there, they were tops, now they're a "has been" IMO.

Affiliates don't mind the phone number but they do mind referring someone to your site and this visitor picks up the phone and the affiliate who got this visitor to your site gets nothing. If they get someone to your site and that results in a sale, they want to be paid.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Unbeatable,

What you need to do is insert an affiliate tracking code below the phone number. That way when you get an order via the phone you can ask for this tracking code and manually enter the commission into CJ. If we send you the sales, we want to get credit for every sale, even the phone orders. If you don't do this, you'll experience minimal success with your affiliate program. This is basically what we're trying to say here.

Good luck!
    - Scott
    Last edited by Snib; May 30th, 2005 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Typo
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    Hey Unbeatable,

You might want to get in contact with Gary M, the affiliate manager at Backcountry. Backcountry implemented a unique affiliate referral # for phone orders, which displays in the top right corner of the screen. They also trained their CSRs to always ask for that referral # when a phone order was placed. Even that requires a certain level of trust, but it's better than nothing.

You can view Gary's profile (w/ contact info) at:

http://forum.abestweb.com/member.php...poster&t=58837

Hope this helps.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Don't you guys checkout a merchant's pages to determine if their even ready for an affiliate program. It would take more then some slick sales person on a phone to sell anything on this page to a web shopper...

http://www.unbeatablesale.com/digitalcameras.html

Unbelieveable that their sales price exceeds the regular list price. The merchant has a nice selection of the higher priced items in various categories where an affiliate could send traffic to just those niche' sections if the links allowed specific product landing pages.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thanks for the suggestions on the affiliate referal #. Definitely a good idea.

Ecomcity:
    What item on that page are you reffering to. The only thing I can think of - is the "Oregon Scientific 3.2 Mega Pixel Digital Camera - DS6688" that looks like is is list for $109.95 and Sale price: $182.41 - BUT THIS SEEMS TO BE a font/display issue. The actual sale price is lower than the list price. see here: http://www.unbeatablesale.com/psor505.html

And yes Unbeatablesale has over 6500 items and a catalog with links directly to the items pages in CJ for all items.
    Last edited by Unbeatable; May 31st, 2005 at 09:45 AM. Reason: forgot to add one more thing

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread